• Unraid OS version 6.8.0-rc7 available

limetech

-rc7 tldr:

• Updated kernel and Intel microcode which was released just after -rc6.
    • Revert libvirt from 5.9.0 to 5.8.0 because 5.9.0 has bug where 'libvirt_list_domains()' returns an empty string when all domains are started instead of a list of domains.
    • Fixed md/unraid crash resulting when bringing cleared array device online (bug introduced in multi-stream support).
    • Don't let backslash be included in share names and vdisk paths.
    • Misc. webGUI fixes.
    • Other package updates.

Specific changes in [-rcN] are indicated in bold below.

New in Unraid OS 6.8 release:

The unRAIDServer.plg file (update OS) still downloads the new release zip file to RAM but then extracts directly to USB flash boot device.  You will probably notice a slight difference in speed of extract messages. [-rc2] The 'sync' command at the end has been replaced with 'sync -f /boot'.

Forms based authentication
    If you have set a root password for your server, upon boot you'll now see a nice login form.  There still is only one user for Unraid so for username enter root.  This form should be compatible with all major password managers out there.  We always recommend using a strong password.  [-rc2] There is no auto-logout implemented yet, please click Logout on menu bar or completely close your browser to logout.

Linux kernel 5.3

• [-rc6/-rc7] include latest Intel microcode for yet another hardware vulnerability mitigation.
    • default scheduler now 'mq-deadline' [-rc2] but this can be changed via Settings/Disk Settings/Scheduler setting.
    • enabled Huge Page support, though no UI control yet
    • binfmt_misc support
    • added "Vega 10 Reset bug" [-rc2] and 'navi-reset' patches removed [-rc5]
    • [-rc2] added oot: Realtek r8125: version 9.002.02
    • [-rc3] additional md/unraid changes and instrumentation
    • [-rc6] fix chelsio missing firmware
    • more device drivers

Some out-of-tree (oot) drivers are currently omitted either because the source code doesn't compile or driver doesn't work with the 5.3 kernel:

• Intel ixgbe [does not build] (using in-tree driver)
    • Highpoint r750 [does not work]
    • Highpoint rr3740a [does not build]

This is always the risk with including vendor-supplied drivers.  Until the vendor fixes their code we must omit their driver.

md/unraid driver
    Introduced "multi-stream" support:

• Reads on devices which are not being written should run at full speed.  In addition, if you have set the md_write_method tunable to "reconstruct write", then while writing, if any read streams are detected, the write method is switched to "read/modifywrite".
    • Parity sync/check should run at full speed by default.
    • Parity sync/check is throttled back in presence of other active streams.
    • The "stripe pool" resource is automatically shared evenly between all active streams.

As a result got rid of some Tunables:

• md_sync_window
    • md_sync_thresh

and added some tunables:

• md_queue_limit
    • md_sync_limit
    • [-rc2] md_scheduler

Please refer to Settings/Disk Settings help text for description of these settings.

WireGuard support - available as a plugin via Community Apps.  Our WireGuard implementation and UI is still a work-in-process; for this reason we have made this available as a plugin, though the latest WireGuard module is included in our Linux kernel.  Full WireGuard implementation will be merged into Unraid OS itself in a future release.  I want to give special thanks to @bonienl who wrote the plugin with lots of guidance from @ljm42 - thank you!  I also should give a shout out to @NAS who got us rolling on this.  If you don't know about WireGuard it's something to look into!

Guide here:

WS-Discovery support - Finally you can get rid of SMBv1 and get reliable Windows network discovery.  This feature is configured on the Settings/SMB Settings page and enabled by default.

• Also on same settings page is Enable NetBIOS setting.  This is enabled by default, however if you no longer have need for NetBIOS discovery you can turn it off.  When turned off, Samba is configured to accept only SMBv2 protocol and higher.
    • Added mDNS client support in Unraid OS.  This means, for example, from an Unraid OS terminal session to ping another Unraid OS server on your network you can use (e.g., 'tower'):
      ping tower.local
      instead of
      ping tower
      Note the latter will still work if you have NetBIOS enabled.

User Share File System (shfs) changes:

• Integrated FUSE-3 - This should increase performance of User Share File System.
    • Fixed bug with hard link support.  Previously a 'stat' on two directory entries referring to same file would return different i-node numbers, thus making it look like two independent files.  This has been fixed however there is a config setting on Settings/Global Share Settings called "Tunable (support hard links)".  [-rc2 ] Fixed the default value Yes, but with certain very old media and DVD players which access shares via NFS, you may need to set this to No.
      [-rc5] Fixed not accounting for devices not mounted yet.
    • Note: if you have custom config/extra.cfg file, get rid of it.

Other improvements/bug fixes:

• Format - during Format any running parity sync/check is automatically Paused and then resumed upon Format completion.
    • Encryption - an entered passphrase is not saved to any file.
    • Fixed bug where multi-device btrfs pool was leaving metadata set to dup instead of raid1.
    • Several other small bug fixes and improvements.
    • [-rc5] Fixed bug where quotes were not handled properly in passwords.
    • Numerous base package updates [-rc2] including updating PHP to version 7.3.x, Samba to version 4.11.x.

Known Issues and Other Errata

• Some users have reported slower parity sync/check rates for very wide arrays (20+ devices) vs. 6.7 and earlier releases - we are still studying this problem.
    • [-rc6] this is fixed: If you are using Unassigned Devices plugin with encrypted volumes, you must use the file method of specifying the encryption passphrase.  Note that a file containing your passphrase must consist of a single null-terminated string with no other line ending characters such as LF or CR/LF.
    • In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.
    • AFP is now deprecated and we plan to remove support in Unraid 6.9 release.
    • The /mnt/user0 mount point is now deprecated and we plan to remove in Unraid 6.9 release.

A note on password strings

Password strings can contain any character however white space (space and tab characters) is handled specially:

• all leading and trailing white space is discarded
    • multiple embedded white space is collapsed to a single space character.

By contrast, encryption passphrase is used exactly as-is.

Version 6.8.0-rc7 2019-11-22

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0
    • dhcpcd: version 8.1.2
    • glib2: version 2.62.3
    • intel-microcode: version 20191115
    • kernel-firmware: version 20191118_e8a0f4c
    • libidn2: version 2.3.0
    • libvirt: version 5.8.0 [reversion from 5.9.0]
    • nghttp2: version 1.40.0
    • php: version 7.3.12
    • xfsprogs: version 5.3.0
    • xterm: version 351

Linux kernel:

• version 5.3.12
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.13 (fix crash bringing cleared device online)

Management:

• webgui: Do not display error if docker log files manually deleted
    • webgui: Warning alert for Format operations
    • webgui: Docker and VM settings: validate path and name input
    • webgui: Add shares: slashes are not allowed in share name
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Fixing, adding, updating & upgrading everything people reported plus ranked high on our lists LimeTech - Unraid has been up to the difficult challenge hard at work. What a great bunch of people & community this company is, let's hope they get it all worked out soon so they can take a well earned relaxed break to enjoy the upcoming Holiday's with there Family & Friends with peace, love and no worries. Thank You and Happy Holiday's!

• Like 3
    • Thanks 2

Hi @limetech great work team 

I didn’t seen anything about the missing VM’s issue from RC6 I’m still running RC5 because of that any word if this is resolved in RC7??

edit: if I am right in my thinking this is the fix?

“Revert libvirt from 5.9.0 to 5.8.0 because 5.9.0 has bug where 'libvirt_list_domains()' returns an empty string when all domains are started instead of a list of domains.”

Edited by Can0nfan
    1 minute ago, Can0nfan said:

Hi @limetech great work team 

I didn’t seen anything about the missing VM’s issue from RC6 I’m still running RC5 because of that any word if this is resolved in RC7??

Revert libvirt from 5.9.0 to 5.8.0 because 5.9.0 has bug where 'libvirt_list_domains()' returns an empty string when all

In the notes above. I think this is the fix.

• Like 2

This release seems to have fixed my issue with:

Fixed md/unraid crash resulting when bringing cleared array device online (bug introduced in multi-stream support)

added my 2 disks without issue!

Thanks for the quick fix as always!  Also, thanks for explaining the reason/cause of the failure.  I always find it interesting.

Edited by civic95man
    • Thanks 1
    3 minutes ago, nuhll said:

does vms finally work??? 

They never didn't "work".  There was an issue where if all VMs were started, the none of them would be listed in the VM tab (but they were running).  That has been resolved.

• Like 1

The ydont fuggin work! If you start a VM you get your log spammed, except you do some magic with vlans, which not everyone can do!

Dont say its working! Its not!

So i guess still not fixed. A workaround would be to just stop this messages filling up the log ( but i guess thats too easy)

Edited by nuhll
    1 minute ago, nuhll said:

The ydont fuggin work! If you start a VM you get your log spammed, except you do some magic with vlans, which not everyone can do!

VM's work fine for me, they did on RC1-RC6 and did last night when I updated to RC7. If you have issues with them you need to post diagnostics...

Edited by cobhc
    29 minutes ago, nuhll said:

If you start a VM you get your log spammed, except you do some magic with vlans, which not everyone can do!

Different issue, and not how I take the meaning of the word "work"  What you're talking about is here, and no it isn't resolved (but they are running and do "work")

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

1. i wrote an email with diagnostic direct to limetech (via bug report inside unraid) never got a response.

2. i posted servival times here in the forum, only fix is adding vlans

@Squid

thanks.

Edited by nuhll
    4 minutes ago, nuhll said:

So i guess still not fixed. A workaround would be to just stop this messages filling up the log ( but i guess thats too easy)

This is a good example of a comment that was probably not intended to be rude but comes across that way.  The confusion resulted because you didn't specify which issue you were asking about.

Please note: I am going to delete this and a few of the following posts.  Please be more mindful in the future.

• Thanks 3
    2 minutes ago, nuhll said:

1. i wrote an email with diagnostic direct to limetech (via bug report inside unraid) never got a response.

2. i posted servival times here in the forum, only fix is adding vlans

There already is an existing open report on this.

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

There already is an existing open report on this.

You can answer emails, right?

You could answer to direct questions in forum?

I like your work and i appreciate it very hard, but you make it hard for me to follow this project.

It seems like youre ignoring me and my questions. 

Couldnt this VM issue be fixed by adding virtual NICs and make Vlan with it?

Are there any other problems besides the log spamming, the vm itself seems to work, couldnt the log messages just be written to +space+, until its fixxed?

I run my render machine on the VM, so i cant produce any videos, which is a probelm for me.

Edited by nuhll
    2 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Couldnt this VM issue be fixed by adding virtual NICs and make Vlan with it?

How about you post that suggestion in the proper topic?

Ive sent a direct email to your company with this suggestion! Ive already posted it in this forum servival times, also!

Also its not a suggestion, its a question, if that could fix it, we can add a suggestion? I tried virtual nic myself, but unraid didnt worked like i thought (i couldnt add it under settings, it just added a new route in the routing table), so i need help with this.

Edited by nuhll
    38 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I run my render machine on the VM, so i cant produce any videos, which is a probelm for me.

Why are you running something so critical to yourself on pre-release software? Seems a little reckless to me...

• Like 1
    • Haha 7

Except for maybe finding some security flaws, I don't understand why someone wants to discuss some bugs, fixes or maybe features not in puplic, where everyone can participate in an solution and can also provide help. But whatever, as far as my experience is with discovering bugs, the forum always provided me a solution and in all cases limetech itself listened if I had issues in an RC version.

Describe your issue so it is reproducable and a solution will be found. 👍

Edited by bastl
    • Like 2

Still having strange IO problem writing to my array (through the cache).

Downloading torrents and things slow to a crawl  (from ~10MB/sec on 6.7.2 to under 100k/sec, usually around 20k/sec with 6.8RC7), CPU usage hovering around 40% (not much happening on the array).

Reverted to 6.7.2 and everything is back to normal and CPU usage <20%, usually <10%.  Diagnostics attached (remembered to pull them this time!).

diagnostics-20191124-0522.zip

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cobhc said:

Why are you running something so critical to yourself on pre-release software? Seems a little reckless to me...

Because i can do what i want. Because i follow this project quite a while now, without having such problems. 

I dont need the VM every day, and there came RCs over RCs so i thought they will fix this. But they ignore it. (it seems)

Edited by nuhll
    11 hours ago, bastl said:

Except for maybe finding some security flaws, I don't understand why someone wants to discuss some bugs, fixes or maybe features not in puplic, where everyone can participate in an solution and can also provide help. But whatever, as far as my experience is with discovering bugs, the forum always provided me a solution and in all cases limetech itself listened if I had issues in an RC version.

Describe your issue so it is reproducable and a solution will be found. 👍

You descripe exactly what happend, it was posted INSTANT by me and other ppls. SOlution was VLANs, which not everyone can use.

Edited by nuhll
    • Like 1

I had set VM's off in RC6 because they would disappear and at one point caused a kernel panic crash.   Upgraded to RC7 and I'm unable to toggle VM Manager on, I hit apply and nothing happens.  

6 minutes ago, EricCharlotteNC said:

I had set VM's off in RC6 because they would disappear and at one point caused a kernel panic crash.   Upgraded to RC7 and I'm unable to toggle VM Manager on, I hit apply and nothing happens.  

Please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics (after toggling VM manager)

9 minutes ago, EricCharlotteNC said:

Here is the diagnostic file.   

Not seeing any attempt to start or enable the VM service, you can try editing domain.cg on the flashdrive's config folder and change SERVICE="disable" to "enable", then reboot.

• Like 1