• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta1 available

limetech

Welcome to 6.9 beta release development!

This initial -beta1 release is exactly the same code set of 6.8.3 except that the Linux kernel has been updated to 5.5.8 (latest stable as of this date).  We have only done basic testing on this release; normally we would not release 'beta' code but some users require the hardware support offered by the latest kernel along with security updates added into 6.8.

Important: Beta code is not fully tested and not feature-complete.  We recommend running on test servers only!

Unfortunately none of our out-of-tree drivers will build with this kernel.  Some were reverted back to in-tree version, some were omitted.  We anticipate that by the time 6.9 enters 'rc' phase, we'll be on the 5.6 kernel and hopefully some of these out-of-tree drivers will be restored.

We will be phasing in some new features, improvements, and changes to address certain bugs over the coming weeks - these will all be -beta releases.  Don't be surprised if you see a jump in the beta number, some releases will be private.

Version 6.9.0-beta1 2020-03-06

Linux kernel:

• version 5.5.8
    • igb: in-tree
    • ixgbe: in-tree
    • r8125: in-tree
    • r750: (removed)
    • rr3740a: (removed)
    • tn40xx: (removed)
    • Like 10
    • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Is user0 going to be deprecated in this version? Any other alternative?

I use user0 as backup source as user may contain some incomplete files when I am downloading.

2 hours ago, windlok1010 said:

Is user0 going to be deprecated in this version?

No, leaving it in.

• Like 1
    On 3/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Tise said:

If you use asos x570 board it might work if you add this line to syslinux configurator on the flash drive. acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Earlier I only got the k10temps but now I get voltages, fan speed and other temps on my asus prime x570-p pro.

6.9beta1 works great for me so far.

Unfortunately, that did not work on my Asus TUF X570... output of sensors is still
    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    MB Temp:      +44.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
    CPU Temp:     +54.5°C 

But I also have a problem with the NerdPack Plugin endlessly "retrieving plugin information ..." and perl seems to be missing (sensors-detect gives the error -bash: /usr/sbin/sensors-detect: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directoryrelated) so this is mayby why. And for now I have no clue on how to get the NerdPack back on working.

Edited by bjornatic

I know you guys said this:

"Important: Beta code is not fully tested and not feature-complete.  We recommend running on test servers only!"

But lets be real, its linux. How dangerous is it really for me to upgrade my system? I mean people reccomend against debian testing but its super stable in my own experience. Can you eventually upgrade to the stable release from beta? Im happy to give the beta a go on my live home setup. its just home at the end of the day, with a few VM's, and dockers and shares on a small NAS. Its not like these mega systems people are setting up with threadrippers and 128GB RAM. I can always clone the USB key to a new one and upgrade the cloned key. Would this break my license key if I did that? End of the day some testing would be good, and I can test on a simple home setup if its semi safe to do that.

P

1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

I can always clone the USB key to a new one and upgrade the cloned key. Would this break my license key if I did that? End of the day some testing would be good, and I can test on a simple home setup if its semi safe to do that.

A much better (and easier) solution is to make a backup of your current USB at any point that you want to be able to revert to.    You can then revert if wanted by copying the files back to the USB stick overwriting the files already there.

You san make the backup by either plugging the USB stick into another machine and copying it's contents or by clicking on the flash drive on the Main tab in the Unraid GUI and selecting the option to back it up as a downloaded zip file

It may be easier but a clone is a clone at the end of the day, and clonezilla is really good for an absolute duplicate with every single bit identical in every way :)

20 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

But lets be real, its linux. How dangerous is it really for me to upgrade my system?

Your logic is fairly straight forward.  But I would caution you to carefully read the actual release post and make sure that there are no really new features being introduced (or in this case, some different, or missing, drivers).  From what I read this is a very vanilla beta release.  It looks like the standard Unraid code base with a new kernel.  So unless there is a 'gotcha' in the kernel (I seem to recall that there have been some in the  past), you should be safe.  Just wait a few days and see what the guys with the Ryzen systems (who are the ones asking/begging for this kernel update) have to say. 

4 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Your logic is fairly straight forward.  But I would caution you to carefully read the actual release post and make sure that there are no really new features being introduced (or in this case, some different, or missing, drivers).  From what I read this is a very vanilla beta release.  It looks like the standard Unraid code base with a new kernel.  So unless there is a 'gotcha' in the kernel (I seem to recall that there have been some in the  past), you should be safe.  Just wait a few days and see what the guys with the Ryzen systems (who are the ones asking/begging for this kernel update) have to say. 

Cool Im going to just go for it later tonight and deal with any issues that appear. Will clone to a new key and boot it, then fix any licensing issues and to the update and probably if anything bad happens I will be able to resolve it. I am interested to see how btrfs handles as I use that on all my disks.

32 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

It may be easier but a clone is a clone at the end of the day, and clonezilla is really good for an absolute duplicate with every single bit identical in every way :)

But the cloned license key won't work on another flash.

53 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Would this break my license key if I did that?

Not exactly break it. It just wouldn't work on a different flash drive. And to get that other flash drive licensed, you would have to go through the registration process again. This is free, automated and can be done directly in the webUI, at least for one license transfer per year. And the license for the old flash would be blacklisted.

So, as you can see, a clone may be a clone in many ways, but if it isn't the same flash drive then it isn't really a clone in an important way.

13 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Will clone to a new key and boot it, then fix any licensing issues

You posted again while I was typing, so hopefully you will reconsider.

One of the things that will happen when you transfer the license is blacklisting the original flash.

1 hour ago, bjornatic said:

But I also have a problem with the NerdPack Plugin endlessly "retrieving plugin information ..." and perl seems to be missing (sensors-detect gives the error -bash: /usr/sbin/sensors-detect: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directoryrelated) so this is mayby why. And for now I have no clue on how to get the NerdPack back on working.

This thread is not the place for plugin support.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

You posted again while I was typing, so hopefully you will reconsider.

One of the things that will happen when you transfer the license is blacklisting the original flash.

It sounds like something someone can fix if I email them so probably if it comes to it I will just do that. Paying customer after all, so they should be able to sort out my license. Sorry but customer service is expected to a degree and dealing with a request like that is only fair.

1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

It sounds like something someone can fix if I email them so probably if it comes to it I will just do that. Paying customer after all, so they should be able to sort out my license. Sorry but customer service is expected to a degree and dealing with a request like that is only fair.

But you've already been told how to backup your original flash and restore it.

• Like 1
    1 minute ago, trurl said:

But you've already been told how to backup your original flash and restore it.

Thanks, advice has been noted. No need to tag me again.

9 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Cool Im going to just go for it later tonight and deal with any issues that appear. Will clone to a new key and boot it, then fix any licensing issues and to the update and probably if anything bad happens I will be able to resolve it. I am interested to see how btrfs handles as I use that on all my disks.

You will have to use a 'Free trial' key on the new drive.  If you update the 'cloned' flash drive with a replacement key, you will cause the key for your original flash drive to be blacklisted.   (The *.key file is mathematically tied to the GUID number that is on the flash drive.)

BTW, I think you are making to big a thing out of the flash drive situation.   A backup of the contents is all you need to recover from any sort of flash drive disaster. That, and a spare flash drive in very unlikely event that the drive itself fails.  (Flash Drives can last a decade or more but some have failed in a few months...)

Another factor,  the risk with using a beta version is not to the flash drive but to your data on the array.  That is LimeTech's biggest concern with beta releases and the reason for the strong cautionary note.

• Like 1
    1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

Another factor,  the risk with using a beta version is not to the flash drive but to your data on the array.  That is LimeTech's biggest concern with beta releases and the reason for the strong cautionary note

That said, I have installed the beta on my only server. But I have good backups.

• Like 1
    5 minutes ago, trurl said:

This thread is not the place for plugin support.

I know, I was just reacting to acpi_enforce_resources=lax working for someone on 5.9 with X570 and not for me. I stated that NerdPack is not working as a possible related cause.

By installing this beta I was hoping to get full sensor support on my Asus TUF X570, but this seems not to be as easy as I thought. 

Ok so this is what I did, to upgrade. It wasnt too bad actually. These steps seem alright if you want a way to go back to your old setup quickly.

I logged in, shut down all my VM's etc and then stopped the array.

I then set the array autostart to NO (so it wont autostart).

Took a backup of the flash image at this point so I had a zip just in case (I never used it).

Powered off.

Clonezilla from this original key to a new key.

Powered up the system with the new key.

Noted everything boots and is looking fine, but registration says invalid, but Unraid says I can click replace key if I want to and it will fix my key and blacklist the original USB key. As I dont want to do this yet unless I have to revert I power down the system and just put this cloned key in a draw. I can now boot it anytime and use the replace key option if I want to quickly fall back to the old 6.8.3 system.

I now put the original key back in and boot. Dont start array yet, first upgrade the system to the beta image of Unraid and set array to autostart, then reboot.

Now system boots with 6.9Beta1 and array starts automatically.

So far I have just started my 3 VM's and checked they are working as well as a couple of dockers. I thought I may as well run a parity check so I will let that run overnight then copy some large files tomorrow to the array and see if its all working and will report back any issues. I cant really tell any difference from the limited testing so far but maybe some stuff will appear over the next few days. I did check some obvious settings here and there but they all seem exactly what I remember them being from when it was on 6.8.3 so looks like nothing obvious has changed so far. I guess I have to wait and see.

Kind regards,

P

• Like 1
    10 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

Ok so this is what I did, to upgrade. It wasnt too bad actually. These steps seem alright if you want a way to go back to your old setup quickly.

You can always go back to any version available for download by simply preparing any flash as a new install using that download, and then copying the config folder from your flash backup to that new install. Your config folder has everything you need to get going again just as you were with whatever version you have.

If you use the same flash, everything will be good to go. If you have a new flash, you will have to get a new license key using the procedure for that.

Of course this assumes you have a flash backup. You should always have a flash backup, and you should get a new flash backup any time you make any significant changes in the webUI. This is especially important if you make any changes to disk assignments. As noted already

On 3/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, itimpi said:

You can make the backup by either plugging the USB stick into another machine and copying it's contents or by clicking on the flash drive on the Main tab in the Unraid GUI and selecting the option to back it up as a downloaded zip file

Mostly just posting all this for completeness and for edification of other users.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Tise said:

If you use asos x570 board it might work if you add this line to syslinux configurator on the flash drive. acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Earlier I only got the k10temps but now I get voltages, fan speed and other temps on my asus prime x570-p pro.

6.9beta1 works great for me so far.

-snip-

WHOOOOAH THX! That works. Nonetheless a direct integration of wmi to Unraid would be awesome!

Hi there,

I'm running it on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite  x570 (Ryzen 3900x).

After the upgrade to 6.9 and the first (hot) reboot everything seemed to be OK.

But later after a complete shutdown and new booting I've lost the LAST two of my six onboard SATA Ports.

The only thing I found is via dmesg

[   26.870874] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6400000 port 0xf6400100 irq 62
    [   26.871205] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6400000 port 0xf6400180 irq 63
    [   26.871205] ata3: DUMMY
    [   26.871206] ata4: DUMMY
    [   26.871208] ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6400000 port 0xf6400300 irq 66
    [   26.871210] ata6: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6400000 port 0xf6400380 irq 67

4 minutes ago, batesman73 said:

'm running it on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite  x570 (Ryzen 3900x).

After the upgrade to 6.9 and the first (hot) reboot everything seemed to be OK.

But later after a complete shutdown and new booting I've lost the LAST two of my six onboard SATA Ports.

You need to post up your Diagnostics file...

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.