• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta35 available

limetech

New in this release:

GPU Driver Integration

Unraid OS now includes selected in-tree GPU drivers: ast (Aspeed), i915 (Intel), amdgpu and radeon (AMD).  These drivers are blacklisted by default via 'conf' files in /etc/modprobe.d:

/etc/modprobe.d/ast.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Each of these files has a single line which blacklists the driver, preventing it from being loaded by the Linux kernel.

However it is possible to override the settings in these files by creating the directory 'config/modprobe.d' on your USB flash boot device and then creating the same named-file in that directory.  For example, to unblacklist amdgpu type these commands in a Terminal session:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

When Unraid OS boots, before the Linux kernel executes device discovery, we copy any files from /boot/config/modprobe.d to /etc/modprobe.d.  Since amdgpu.conf on the flash is an empty file, it will effectively cancel the driver from being blacklisted.

This technique can be used to set boot-time options for any driver as well.

Better Support for Third Party Drivers

Recall that we distribute Linux modules and firmware in separate squashfs files which are read-only mounted at /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.  We now set up an overlayfs on each of these mount points, making it possible to install 3rd party modules at boot time, provided those modules are built against the same kernel version.  This technique may be used by Community Developers to provide an easier way to add modules not included in base Unraid OS: no need to build custom bzimage, bzmodules, bzfirmware and bzroot files.

To go along with the other GPU drivers included in this release, we have created a separate installable Nvidia driver package.  Since each new kernel version requires drivers to be rebuilt, we have set up a feed that enumerates each driver available with each kernel.

The easiest way to install the Nvdia driver, if you require it, is to make use of a plugin provided by Community member @ich777This plugin uses the feed to install the correct driver for the currently running kernel.  A big thank you! to @ich777 for providing assistance and coding up the the plugin:

Linux Kernel

This release includes Linux kernel 5.8.18.  We realize the 5.8 kernel has reached EOL and we are currently busy upgrading to 5.9.

Version 6.9.0-beta35 2020-11-12 (vs -beta30)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 25
    • brotli: version 1.0.9 build 2
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.9
    • ca-certificates: version 20201016
    • curl: version 7.73.0
    • dmidecode: version 3.3
    • ethtool: version 5.9
    • freetype: version 2.10.4
    • fuse3: version 3.10.0
    • git: version 2.29.1
    • glib2: version 2.66.2
    • glibc-solibs: version 2.30 build 2
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2020d
    • glibc: version 2.30 build 2
    • iproute2: version 5.9.0
    • jasper: version 2.0.22
    • less: version 563
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8 build 2
    • libevdev: version 1.10.0
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.7
    • libnftnl: version 1.1.8
    • librsvg: version 2.50.1
    • libwebp: version 1.1.0 build 3
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10 build 3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.27
    • nano: version 5.3
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20201024
    • nginx: version 1.19.4
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 3
    • openssh: version 8.4p1 build 2
    • pam: version 1.4.0 build 2
    • rpcbind: version 1.2.5 build 2
    • samba: version 4.12.9 (CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318)
    • talloc: version 2.3.1 build 4
    • tcp_wrappers: version 7.6 build 3
    • tdb: version 1.4.3 build 4
    • tevent: version 0.10.2 build 4
    • usbutils: version 013
    • util-linux: version 2.36 build 2
    • vsftpd: version 3.0.3 build 7
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.31
    • xterm: version 361

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.18
    • added GPU drivers:
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON: ATI Radeon
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR: Always enable userptr support
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU: AMD GPU
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI: Enable amdgpu support for SI parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK: Enable amdgpu support for CIK parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR: Always enable userptr write support
    • CONFIG_HSA_AMD: HSA kernel driver for AMD GPU devices
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201005_58d41d0
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.16: correction recording disk info with array Stopped; remove 'superblock dirty' handling
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.14.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix 'auto' setting where pools enabled for user shares should not be exported
    • emhttpd: permit Erase of 'DISK_DSBL_NEW' replacement devices
    • emhtptd: track clean/unclean shutdown using file 'config/forcesync'
    • emhttpd: avoid unnecessarily removing mover.cron file
    • modprobe: blacklist GPU drivers by default, config/modprobe.d/* can override at boot
    • samba: disable aio by default
    • startup: setup an overlayfs for /lib/modules and /lib/firmware
    • webgui: pools not enabled for user shares should not be selectable for cache
    • webgui: Add pools information to diagnostics
    • webgui: vnc: add browser cache busting
    • webgui: Multilanguage: Fix unable to delete / edit users
    • webgui: Prevent "Add" reverting to English when adding a new user with an invalid username
    • webgui: Fix Azure / Gray Switch Language being cut-off
    • webgui: Fix unable to use top right icons if notifications present
    • webgui: Changed: Consistency between dashboard and docker on accessing logs
    • webgui: correct login form wrong default case icon displayed
    • webgui: set 'mid-tower' default case icon
    • webgui: fix: jGrowl covering buttons
    • webgui: New Perms: Support multi-cache pools
    • webgui: Remove WG from Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: dockerMan: Allow readmore in advanced view
    • webgui: dockerMan: Only allow name compatible with docker

Edited by limetech

• Like 11
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Getting complete system crashes with this build.  I was previously running beta 25 which was stable for me.  I upgraded to beta 29 and I saw complete system crashes(I would need to power cycle the server) so I rolled back to 25.  Now I upgraded to 35 because of all the changes to community related stuff, everything works and I am not getting any errors...But it's still crashing like once every 24 hours.

Looking in logs shows nothing at all.  System is completely stable on beta 25...but obviously I can't roll back now because I can't easily get the Nvidia build for beta 25.

I am attaching my diagnostics.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I don't even see errors to see where the problem could be.  It crashed today at roughly 5:18pm if that helps.

9900k-diagnostics-20201127-1951.zip

Edit....Literally just crashed again right after I submitted this post...

Edited by sittingmongoose

I have also been experiencing issues with system crashes every couple days. I will get a kernel panic and need to reboot the server. Everything was running fine on the previous beta version. Nothing has changed hardware wise, this is on a Dell R730XD with 48GB of ECC Memory. Logs attached if it helps.

Also, I am running the Nvidia Driver plugin for a Quadro p2000 if that helps, it seems like on the screen when the kernel panic happens it mentions something about Nvidia. Ill grab a screenshot when it happens again.

unraid-media-syslog-20201128-0312.zip

Edited by TwoFive5
    Added Information
    13 minutes ago, TwoFive5 said:

I have also been experiencing issues with system crashes every couple days. I will get a kernel panic and need to reboot the server. Everything was running fine on the previous beta version. Nothing has changed hardware wise, this is on a Dell R730XD with 48GB of ECC Memory. Logs attached if it helps.

Also, I am running the Nvidia Driver plugin for a Quadro p2000 if that helps, it seems like on the screen when the kernel panic happens it mentions something about Nvidia. Ill grab a screenshot when it happens again.

unraid-media-syslog-20201128-0312.zip 34.68 kB · 1 download

Unfortunately I cant see anything happening.  I cant access my server at all when it crashes.  I don't have a monitor on it either.  But yea I am running the nvidia driver and a p2000.  But on beta 29, I wasnt running the nvidia plugin, I was using the nvidia build.  

I have also experienced a kernel panic. I don’t have any logs collecting but I took a picture of the console when it happened. Not sure if there is enough there to be useful though... I am not running any Nvidia drivers. Only using Intel IGPU.

63A87D70-9786-4095-B1EA-FD102CDAB44A.jpeg

Edited by trypowercycle
    4 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

Nvidia build for beta 25

Prebuilt images with Nvidia drivers are in the first post on the bottom (download the archive and extract the contents and replace the bz* files to you usb boot device):

56 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Prebuilt images with Nvidia drivers are in the first post on the bottom (download the archive and extract the contents and replace the bz* files to you usb boot device):

Awesome!  Let me give unraid a day or so to try to figure it out before I roll it back.  Its crashed 4 times today so I am happy there is an option.

11 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

Awesome!  Let me give unraid a day or so to try to figure it out before I roll it back.  Its crashed 4 times today so I am happy there is an option.

In my experience this points more to a hardware defect, but also could something else.

I'm running now beta35 since the beginning with the Nvidia, DVB, Mellanox and iSCSI Plugin without any problem.

The above post is just to let you know that you at least can downgrade. ;)

On 11/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, Squid said:

You would need to enable disk shares 

Dalben found it... But I can't... Where do you enable disk shares?

Thanks

upgraded to 6.9.0-beta35, Removed the unraid-nvidia plugin, and Installed the Nvidia-Driver app from Community Applications. Rebooted and my plex was orphaned. Does this mean i have to start all over and lose all my watched data?

i am using the pms-plex docker. i tried to start over but i can't find the extra parameter section

On 11/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, sittingmongoose said:

Unfortunately I cant see anything happening.  I cant access my server at all when it crashes.  I don't have a monitor on it either.  But yea I am running the nvidia driver and a p2000.  But on beta 29, I wasnt running the nvidia plugin, I was using the nvidia build.  

Yea I realized that as well. I was able to get syslog server up and running incase it happens again so I'll have logs when it crashes. So far no crashes since my earlier comment. Did you revert back to an earlier build, and did that solve the crashes?

12 minutes ago, TwoFive5 said:

Yea I realized that as well. I was able to get syslog server up and running incase it happens again so I'll have logs when it crashes. So far no crashes since my earlier comment. Did you revert back to an earlier build, and did that solve the crashes?

I am going to have to revert back to beta 25 tomorrow.  I was trying to stick with it for a few days so @limetech could look at it and fix it for the future but I can’t wait any longer.  It’s crashing every .5 to 2 hours.  Besides rendering my server pretty much useless, it’s not shutting down gracefully so it’s only a matter of time till something dies.

I’m worried this issue will continue to carry forward into future releases because it started with beta 29 for me.

9 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

I am going to have to revert back to beta 25 tomorrow.  I was trying to stick with it for a few days so @limetech could look at it and fix it for the future but I can’t wait any longer.  It’s crashing every .5 to 2 hours.  Besides rendering my server pretty much useless, it’s not shutting down gracefully so it’s only a matter of time till something dies.

I’m worried this issue will continue to carry forward into future releases because it started with beta 29 for me.

That is way more frequent then what I am experiencing. Are you able to get logs before the crash? It might help figure out exactly what is causing it.  Not sure if that is an option for you but I was able to get syslog server running and sent the logs to another computer on my network and using Kiwi syslog server to capture them. 

3 minutes ago, TwoFive5 said:

That is way more frequent then what I am experiencing. Are you able to get logs before the crash? It might help figure out exactly what is causing it.  Not sure if that is an option for you but I was able to get syslog server running and sent the logs to another computer on my network and using Kiwi syslog server to capture them. 

I did post my diagnostics and enhanced syslog but I don’t see anything in there at all telling.  And it’s random, it probably won’t crash overnight at all.  But randomly during the day it will.  I can’t even pin down a thing it’s doing to trigger it.

don’t have an option to run a remote syslog as it’s kinda remote.  Nor do I even know how to do that.

3 hours ago, toonamo said:

Rebooted and my plex was orphaned

No, just reinstall teh Plex container with all the necessary variables and parameters, you find them in the Nvidia-Driver support thread.

3 hours ago, toonamo said:

extra parameter section

You have to enable Advanced View at the top roght corner on the template page.

EDIT: have you also rebooted your server after the first installation of the Nvidia-Driver or restarted the Docker service?

21 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

I did post my diagnostics and enhanced syslog but I don’t see anything in there at all telling.  And it’s random, it probably won’t crash overnight at all.  But randomly during the day it will.  I can’t even pin down a thing it’s doing to trigger it.

don’t have an option to run a remote syslog as it’s kinda remote.  Nor do I even know how to do that.

Once it crashes and reboots you won't see anything in the log from before, so nothing would be in there about what caused it. Normally you could turn on syslog server so it would capture those logs before the crash and store them on your server, but that is currently broken until the next release it looks like.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/690-beta25-through-690-beta35-syslog-server-broken-error-in-logs-r1003/

So in your case not having a remote computer to log to sucks. I guess the best option like u said would be to go back to a known working version until newer betas come out.

Mine seems to crash randomly once a week so hopefully I'll be able to catch what is causing it on mine this time.

1 minute ago, TwoFive5 said:

Once it crashes and reboots you won't see anything in the log from before, so nothing would be in there about what caused it. Normally you could turn on syslog server so it would capture those logs before the crash and store them on your server, but that is currently broken until the next release it looks like.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/690-beta25-through-690-beta35-syslog-server-broken-error-in-logs-r1003/

So in your case not having a remote computer to log to sucks. I guess the best option like u said would be to go back to a known working version until newer betas come out.

Mine seems to crash randomly once a week so hopefully I'll be able to catch what is causing it on mine this time.

Is there an easy to follow how to for logging to another computer?  I might be able to use my dads windows computer as that’s on the same network.

13 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

Is there an easy to follow how to for logging to another computer?  I might be able to use my dads windows computer as that’s on the same network.

Sent you a message how to do it

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, sittingmongoose said:

I have had the same problem with all builds greater than beta25, and I've been unable to post diagnostics as my system completely freezes.

How close is 6.9 to final in terms of roadmap (not time)? Is it feature-complete other than integrating the 5.9 kernel? How many major, stopping bugs remain? I might install this when it hits RC.

• Like 3

I am also curious. As I updated my motherboard and CPU to an 10th gen Intel CPU, I am now forced to update to 6.9.0 beta 35. This version supports the latest Intel 219v NIC, which is not supported by 6.8.3. 
    Updated without any issues, but I would to run on stable versions only.