• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta35 available

limetech

New in this release:

GPU Driver Integration

Unraid OS now includes selected in-tree GPU drivers: ast (Aspeed), i915 (Intel), amdgpu and radeon (AMD).  These drivers are blacklisted by default via 'conf' files in /etc/modprobe.d:

/etc/modprobe.d/ast.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Each of these files has a single line which blacklists the driver, preventing it from being loaded by the Linux kernel.

However it is possible to override the settings in these files by creating the directory 'config/modprobe.d' on your USB flash boot device and then creating the same named-file in that directory.  For example, to unblacklist amdgpu type these commands in a Terminal session:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

When Unraid OS boots, before the Linux kernel executes device discovery, we copy any files from /boot/config/modprobe.d to /etc/modprobe.d.  Since amdgpu.conf on the flash is an empty file, it will effectively cancel the driver from being blacklisted.

This technique can be used to set boot-time options for any driver as well.

Better Support for Third Party Drivers

Recall that we distribute Linux modules and firmware in separate squashfs files which are read-only mounted at /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.  We now set up an overlayfs on each of these mount points, making it possible to install 3rd party modules at boot time, provided those modules are built against the same kernel version.  This technique may be used by Community Developers to provide an easier way to add modules not included in base Unraid OS: no need to build custom bzimage, bzmodules, bzfirmware and bzroot files.

To go along with the other GPU drivers included in this release, we have created a separate installable Nvidia driver package.  Since each new kernel version requires drivers to be rebuilt, we have set up a feed that enumerates each driver available with each kernel.

The easiest way to install the Nvdia driver, if you require it, is to make use of a plugin provided by Community member @ich777This plugin uses the feed to install the correct driver for the currently running kernel.  A big thank you! to @ich777 for providing assistance and coding up the the plugin:

Linux Kernel

This release includes Linux kernel 5.8.18.  We realize the 5.8 kernel has reached EOL and we are currently busy upgrading to 5.9.

Version 6.9.0-beta35 2020-11-12 (vs -beta30)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 25
    • brotli: version 1.0.9 build 2
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.9
    • ca-certificates: version 20201016
    • curl: version 7.73.0
    • dmidecode: version 3.3
    • ethtool: version 5.9
    • freetype: version 2.10.4
    • fuse3: version 3.10.0
    • git: version 2.29.1
    • glib2: version 2.66.2
    • glibc-solibs: version 2.30 build 2
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2020d
    • glibc: version 2.30 build 2
    • iproute2: version 5.9.0
    • jasper: version 2.0.22
    • less: version 563
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8 build 2
    • libevdev: version 1.10.0
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.7
    • libnftnl: version 1.1.8
    • librsvg: version 2.50.1
    • libwebp: version 1.1.0 build 3
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10 build 3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.27
    • nano: version 5.3
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20201024
    • nginx: version 1.19.4
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 3
    • openssh: version 8.4p1 build 2
    • pam: version 1.4.0 build 2
    • rpcbind: version 1.2.5 build 2
    • samba: version 4.12.9 (CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318)
    • talloc: version 2.3.1 build 4
    • tcp_wrappers: version 7.6 build 3
    • tdb: version 1.4.3 build 4
    • tevent: version 0.10.2 build 4
    • usbutils: version 013
    • util-linux: version 2.36 build 2
    • vsftpd: version 3.0.3 build 7
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.31
    • xterm: version 361

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.18
    • added GPU drivers:
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON: ATI Radeon
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR: Always enable userptr support
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU: AMD GPU
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI: Enable amdgpu support for SI parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK: Enable amdgpu support for CIK parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR: Always enable userptr write support
    • CONFIG_HSA_AMD: HSA kernel driver for AMD GPU devices
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201005_58d41d0
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.16: correction recording disk info with array Stopped; remove 'superblock dirty' handling
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.14.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix 'auto' setting where pools enabled for user shares should not be exported
    • emhttpd: permit Erase of 'DISK_DSBL_NEW' replacement devices
    • emhtptd: track clean/unclean shutdown using file 'config/forcesync'
    • emhttpd: avoid unnecessarily removing mover.cron file
    • modprobe: blacklist GPU drivers by default, config/modprobe.d/* can override at boot
    • samba: disable aio by default
    • startup: setup an overlayfs for /lib/modules and /lib/firmware
    • webgui: pools not enabled for user shares should not be selectable for cache
    • webgui: Add pools information to diagnostics
    • webgui: vnc: add browser cache busting
    • webgui: Multilanguage: Fix unable to delete / edit users
    • webgui: Prevent "Add" reverting to English when adding a new user with an invalid username
    • webgui: Fix Azure / Gray Switch Language being cut-off
    • webgui: Fix unable to use top right icons if notifications present
    • webgui: Changed: Consistency between dashboard and docker on accessing logs
    • webgui: correct login form wrong default case icon displayed
    • webgui: set 'mid-tower' default case icon
    • webgui: fix: jGrowl covering buttons
    • webgui: New Perms: Support multi-cache pools
    • webgui: Remove WG from Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: dockerMan: Allow readmore in advanced view
    • webgui: dockerMan: Only allow name compatible with docker

Edited by limetech

• Like 11
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I know this likely won't matter to anyone but I've been using unraid for just over ten years now and I'm very sad to see how the nvidia driver situation has been handled.

While I am very glad that custom builds are no longer needed to add the nvidia driver, I am very disappointed in the apparent lack of communication and appreciation from Limetech to the community members that have provided us with a solution for all the time Limetech would not.

If this kind of corporate-esque "we don't care" attitude is going to be adopted then that removes an important differentiating factor between Unraid and Synology, etc. For some of us, cost isn't a barrier. Unraid has an indie appeal with good leaders and a strong community.

Please understand how important the unraid community is and appreciate those in the community that put in the time to make unraid better for all of us.

Edited by doubleohwhatever
    typo
    • Like 13
    27 minutes ago, doubleohwhatever said:

I know this likely won't matter to anyone but I've been using unraid for just over ten years now and I'm very said to see how the nvidia driver situation has been handled.

While I am very glad that custom builds are no longer needed to add the nvidia driver, I am very disappointed in the apparent lack of communication and appreciation from Limetech to the community members that have provided us with a solution for all the time Limetech would not.

If this kind of corporate-esque "we don't care" attitude is going to be adopted then that removes an important differentiating factor between Unraid and Synology, etc. For some of us, cost isn't a barrier. Unraid has an indie appeal with good leaders and a strong community.

Please understand how important the unraid community is and appreciate those in the community that put in the time to make unraid better for all of us.

Totally agreed!  

• Like 5

It's not as if they've been very welcoming to new community developers wanting to get in on the unraid action....so something like this was bound to happen to older highly respected community developers....just my 2 cents.

Luckily time heals all wounds and in 6 months time a new unraid user has no idea this even happened. Burning bridges is a thing and people will keep doing it.

• Like 2

Yes, eventually this will fade into the past. However, the fact that many of us are not surprised this happened is indicative of a larger problem with the way limetech governs unraid in relation to the community.

Perhaps limetech should create and fill a communications/community liaison role. Overall communication and particularly communication with the community must improve to prevent future bridges being burnt to a crisp.

• Like 1
    6 hours ago, BRiT said:

You have 2 choices:

1) Switch over to an ethernet based Tuner setup as everyone has been suggesting for years

2) Wait for LimeTech to support DVB

Very bad, i have all my setup using the PCI DVB tunners.
    I think Limetech will no support DVB...

The solution is change to ethernet tuners.
    Very bad....

@CHBMB closed support...

5 minutes ago, psycmos said:

Very bad, i have all my setup using the PCI DVB tunners.
    I think Limetech will no support DVB...

The solution is change to ethernet tuners.
    Very bad....

@CHBMB closed support...

Please look at this post, I've already made a plugin for that.

And for stable builds you can use the Kernel-Helper for now or a prebuilt image.

I don't use the Nvidea, but no problem!
    I Will install it, for keep working my DVB!

Thanks a lot ich777, for support it.
    Maybe i will install one nvidea to my setup for transcoding too!

Hi, I want to use i915 IGPU acceleration in docker. Does it mean I should disable the stuff I have added to my go file before I upgrade to new beta:

modprobe i915
    sleep 5
    chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
    chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri

Just now, sir_storealot said:

Hi, I want to use i915 IGPU acceleration in docker. Does it mean I should disable the stuff I have added to my go file before I upgrade to new beta:

modprobe i915
    sleep 5
    chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
    chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri

I'm not very familar with Intel transcoding but I think you should NOT remove that.

4 hours ago, doubleohwhatever said:

I know this likely won't matter to anyone but I've been using unraid for just over ten years now and I'm very sad to see how the nvidia driver situation has been handled.

This sums up my stance too.

I can understand LimeTechs view as to why they didnt feel the need to communicate this to the other parties involved (as they never officially asked them to develop the solution they'd developed and put in place). But on the flip side the appeal of UnRaid is the community spirit and drive to implement things which make the platform more useful. 

It wouldnt have taken a lot to give certain members in community a heads up that this was coming, and to give credit where credit is due in the release notes. Something along the lines of:

"After seeing the appeal and demand around 3rd party driver integration with unraid as its matured over recent years we've introduced a mechanism to bring this into the core OS distribution. We want to thank specific members of the community such as @CHBMB and @bass_rock who've unofficially supported this in recent times and which drove the need to implement this in a way which allows better support for the OS as a whole for the entire community, and remove the need for users to use unofficial builds."

Also for them to be given a heads up and at least involved in the implementation stages at an advisory or review level as well...

Anyway, I hope this communication mishap can be resolved. It was obviously not intentional, and 2020 as a whole has meant we're all stressed and overworked (I am anyway!), so it makes situations like this a lot easier to trigger.

Hopefully lessons can be learned here and changes similar to this can be managed with a little more community involvement going forward.

Edited by billington.mark
    more words
    • Like 8
    • Thanks 1

Just want to chime in. As a user since 2012(not that long) Unraid has really had a long path of development and features added to it. I’m really grateful to all developers that create plugins and dockers and I can understand the amount of time it takes to create and test. I would wish everyone to get along and continue the saga.

I how ever in this instance have to side with Limetech due to the fact that I too have a concern for unofficial builds(virus, bugs). Also the solution that Limetech uses has nothing to do with what 3rd party devs have done. It should be apparent to everybody that HW transcode / encode is really needed for most of the users(4k) and I cant see why credit is needed here.

Its now apparent that from a user point of view the heavy 3rd party dependency is an issue. I would really have an issue if swag was removed from CA or github and all that is needed for that seems to be hurt ego.

Hope my comments land correctly, don’t mean to piss on someone.

Btw, awesome work with 6.9!

• Like 1
    • Haha 1
    8 hours ago, ich777 said:

I also created a plugin for DVB and you can download it through the CA App (you have to be at least on Unraid version 6.9.0beta35 to see it in the CA App).

Currently there are LibreELEC and DigitalDevices drivers supported.

If you got any further questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: Please note that this is currently community driven and I have to rebuilt the modules and tools every time a update of Unraid from @limetech is rolled out.

If you are using the Plugin don't update instantly to the new version, I will create a support post for the plugin as soon as I got home from work and update for which versions of Unraid the drivers are avilable.

Do you happen to know what the limit of DVB devices is in the kernel module?

I am using tvheadend on an incredibly limited x86 small form factor device with ubuntu, but I had to recompile the kernel to support more devices as the kernel driver only supported 8 out of the box with the factory settings.  Here  we have 9 muxes and I have 9 tuners connected to that I can record any combination of channels.

3 minutes ago, Fizzyade said:

Do you happen to know what the limit of DVB devices is in the kernel module?

The hard limit in the Kernel itself is set to 8 by default and I never changed that since it was never requested in my Unraid-Kernel-Helper thread from someone to have a higher number of tuners.

I can only tell you that I'm using 2 dual Digital Devices DVB C cards (one physically attached to the PCIe slot and an addon card that is attached to the 'main' card in the PCIe slot) and I can watch a total of 4 tuners and can watch depending on the channel (HD or SD) up to 7 simultaneous streams if I recall correctly could.

It's only the bzimage file that you have to replace if you also want a higher limit and that is one thing that my plugin does to activate the DVB capabilities of Unraid.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, -Daedalus said:

Without going near any of the other stuff, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this one:

Why the concern over install size? Most people are installing unRAID on 16-32GB sticks these days. Does it matter much if the install size is 400 vs 100MB? 

I can absolutely understand efficiency standpoint; it's a lot of space for something very niche, I'm just not sure what the downside is. The only one I can really think of is longer backup times of the flash drive, but that seems very minor. Is there something I'm missing here?

Hosting fees is also a factor. 

9 minutes ago, SpecFroce said:

Hosting fees is also a factor. 

I doubt it. The important reason was already explained soon after that post you quoted. 

10 hours ago, doubleohwhatever said:

So, what are we supposed to do until 6.9 is officially released?  It would be nice if I could get my actual "production" cluster to work, and I'm not really a fan of running my one and only Unraid server on beta software (I'm not at the point where I have a play machine yet).

1 minute ago, Eviseration said:

So, what are we supposed to do until 6.9 is officially released?  It would be nice if I could get my actual "production" cluster to work, and I'm not really a fan of running my one and only Unraid server on beta software (I'm not at the point where I have a play machine yet).

I'm not sure what you are referring to, as Unraid hasn't ever released a version with nvidia drivers.

If you are referring to using the community modded version of 6.8.3, I would contend that using the official 6.9 beta is far more "production" ready than using a community mod.

• Like 1

Everyone please take a look here:

I want to request that any further discussion on this to please take place in that topic.

• Like 11
    • Thanks 1
    47 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to, as Unraid hasn't ever released a version with nvidia drivers.

If you are referring to using the community modded version of 6.8.3, I would contend that using the official 6.9 beta is far more "production" ready than using a community mod.

In principal I agree, however though I am not using it myself I think it unfair not to acknowledge the stability attained by @CHBMB and @bass_rock 's Nvidia plugin. From its forum thread, it appears that there are quite a number of successful users and few to none show-stopping issues. That seems pretty stable to me.

Here is hoping that the limetech's latest addition will prove itself as stable in short accord.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I posted in the b30 thread, that i have a performance impact when going from 6.8.3 to 6.9 beta. I did not have that with the first beta (was it 22 or something?) Post from b30 thread.

I have the same problem now with beta 35, have tried different settings on the VMs but cant seem to resolve it. Does anyone have a similar problem?

Diagnostics zip attached.

tower-diagnostics-20201116-2040.zip

Edited by jowe
    link
    On 11/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, Scroopy Noopers said:

So if the driver number isn't reporting and the device isn't bound to VFIO, does that mean something is up with the kernel, and if so, how do I fix it?

To put a close to this thread, my issue was a dead GPU, not an issue with the software. I would just like to take this opportunity to publicly thank @ich777 for all the time and effort he put into working with me to try and figure out the issue I have been having. @ich777 spent a few days working with me to get to the root of the problem and went over and above what I ever could have expected. Thank you.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NNate said:

@jowe

I haven't looked to see if your CPU is impacted, but this really helped me: 

Thanks @NNate that was it! Good catch!

Edited by jowe
    14 hours ago, Eviseration said:

I'm running the prebuild images e.g. NVIDIA for 6.8.3 from here:

Wow these releases are PACKED!!

Can't wait for this to reach a stable release.

Thanks for the improvements 🙏

Edited by S1dney