• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta35 available

limetech

New in this release:

GPU Driver Integration

Unraid OS now includes selected in-tree GPU drivers: ast (Aspeed), i915 (Intel), amdgpu and radeon (AMD).  These drivers are blacklisted by default via 'conf' files in /etc/modprobe.d:

/etc/modprobe.d/ast.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Each of these files has a single line which blacklists the driver, preventing it from being loaded by the Linux kernel.

However it is possible to override the settings in these files by creating the directory 'config/modprobe.d' on your USB flash boot device and then creating the same named-file in that directory.  For example, to unblacklist amdgpu type these commands in a Terminal session:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

When Unraid OS boots, before the Linux kernel executes device discovery, we copy any files from /boot/config/modprobe.d to /etc/modprobe.d.  Since amdgpu.conf on the flash is an empty file, it will effectively cancel the driver from being blacklisted.

This technique can be used to set boot-time options for any driver as well.

Better Support for Third Party Drivers

Recall that we distribute Linux modules and firmware in separate squashfs files which are read-only mounted at /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.  We now set up an overlayfs on each of these mount points, making it possible to install 3rd party modules at boot time, provided those modules are built against the same kernel version.  This technique may be used by Community Developers to provide an easier way to add modules not included in base Unraid OS: no need to build custom bzimage, bzmodules, bzfirmware and bzroot files.

To go along with the other GPU drivers included in this release, we have created a separate installable Nvidia driver package.  Since each new kernel version requires drivers to be rebuilt, we have set up a feed that enumerates each driver available with each kernel.

The easiest way to install the Nvdia driver, if you require it, is to make use of a plugin provided by Community member @ich777This plugin uses the feed to install the correct driver for the currently running kernel.  A big thank you! to @ich777 for providing assistance and coding up the the plugin:

Linux Kernel

This release includes Linux kernel 5.8.18.  We realize the 5.8 kernel has reached EOL and we are currently busy upgrading to 5.9.

Version 6.9.0-beta35 2020-11-12 (vs -beta30)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 25
    • brotli: version 1.0.9 build 2
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.9
    • ca-certificates: version 20201016
    • curl: version 7.73.0
    • dmidecode: version 3.3
    • ethtool: version 5.9
    • freetype: version 2.10.4
    • fuse3: version 3.10.0
    • git: version 2.29.1
    • glib2: version 2.66.2
    • glibc-solibs: version 2.30 build 2
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2020d
    • glibc: version 2.30 build 2
    • iproute2: version 5.9.0
    • jasper: version 2.0.22
    • less: version 563
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8 build 2
    • libevdev: version 1.10.0
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.7
    • libnftnl: version 1.1.8
    • librsvg: version 2.50.1
    • libwebp: version 1.1.0 build 3
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10 build 3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.27
    • nano: version 5.3
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20201024
    • nginx: version 1.19.4
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 3
    • openssh: version 8.4p1 build 2
    • pam: version 1.4.0 build 2
    • rpcbind: version 1.2.5 build 2
    • samba: version 4.12.9 (CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318)
    • talloc: version 2.3.1 build 4
    • tcp_wrappers: version 7.6 build 3
    • tdb: version 1.4.3 build 4
    • tevent: version 0.10.2 build 4
    • usbutils: version 013
    • util-linux: version 2.36 build 2
    • vsftpd: version 3.0.3 build 7
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.31
    • xterm: version 361

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.18
    • added GPU drivers:
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON: ATI Radeon
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR: Always enable userptr support
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU: AMD GPU
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI: Enable amdgpu support for SI parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK: Enable amdgpu support for CIK parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR: Always enable userptr write support
    • CONFIG_HSA_AMD: HSA kernel driver for AMD GPU devices
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201005_58d41d0
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.16: correction recording disk info with array Stopped; remove 'superblock dirty' handling
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.14.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix 'auto' setting where pools enabled for user shares should not be exported
    • emhttpd: permit Erase of 'DISK_DSBL_NEW' replacement devices
    • emhtptd: track clean/unclean shutdown using file 'config/forcesync'
    • emhttpd: avoid unnecessarily removing mover.cron file
    • modprobe: blacklist GPU drivers by default, config/modprobe.d/* can override at boot
    • samba: disable aio by default
    • startup: setup an overlayfs for /lib/modules and /lib/firmware
    • webgui: pools not enabled for user shares should not be selectable for cache
    • webgui: Add pools information to diagnostics
    • webgui: vnc: add browser cache busting
    • webgui: Multilanguage: Fix unable to delete / edit users
    • webgui: Prevent "Add" reverting to English when adding a new user with an invalid username
    • webgui: Fix Azure / Gray Switch Language being cut-off
    • webgui: Fix unable to use top right icons if notifications present
    • webgui: Changed: Consistency between dashboard and docker on accessing logs
    • webgui: correct login form wrong default case icon displayed
    • webgui: set 'mid-tower' default case icon
    • webgui: fix: jGrowl covering buttons
    • webgui: New Perms: Support multi-cache pools
    • webgui: Remove WG from Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: dockerMan: Allow readmore in advanced view
    • webgui: dockerMan: Only allow name compatible with docker

Edited by limetech

• Like 11
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

unless you need other things in 6.9.x, why not just run 6.8.3 and get a cheapo nic that IS supported and use that until 6.9.x is good?

I asked on the 6.8.3 thread but i'll ask here too.. is there any chance of a 6.8.4 to be released that has the 1 MiB alignment stuff included? :)  as I am also in that boat that I dont want to go to 6.9.x early to get the feature.

Edited by zoggy

I just stepped up to 6.9.0-BETA35 from 6.8.3 because I want to use multiple cache pools.  The update was uneventful except for the fact that my mouse address or nickname changed so my Win10 VM using evdev for said mouse would not start until I fixed that.  Not a big deal, but I wonder why it changed.

It had been:

/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-if02-event-mouse

And now it's:

/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-if01-event-mouse

Any idea why?

craigr

Edited by craigr

Just tried 6.9.0-beta35 and discovered my Highpoint Rocket 750 RAID card is not recognized. Hopefully support will be added soon (I was trying to enable nvidia hardware decoding in Plex since the old way is apparently deprecated now?!?

I just setup a second cache pool with Beta 35 using two Samsung 850 PRO SSD's and it worked well.  However, I couldn't help but notice that capital letters, numbers proceeding the pool's name, and special characters are not permitted.  I would have liked to have just called this cache2 or SSD_Pool.  Not really a big deal, but are there plans to allow for this, but this is jut beta?

So far I am loving having all my VM shares; isos, vdisks, system on the SSD pool.  Everything is running great :)

craigr

19 hours ago, zoggy said:

unless you need other things in 6.9.x, why not just run 6.8.3 and get a cheapo nic that IS supported and use that until 6.9.x is good?

Because I have an ITX board with 1 PCI slot which is already in use... Thus no slot available for an NIC board.

2 hours ago, Richard Aarnink said:

Because I have an ITX board with 1 PCI slot which is already in use... Thus no slot available for an NIC board.

I wonder if unraid supports a USB3 NIC?

12 hours ago, Richard Aarnink said:

have a free usb port (just do usb 3.0 or anything with type c so you can actually get 1G speeds)?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-1000Mbps-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=UGREEN+Ethernet+Adapter+Gigabit+Network+to+USB&qid=1607066618&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Thunderbolt-Converter-Chromebook/dp/B082K62S48/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=UGREEN+Ethernet+Adapter+Gigabit+Network+to+USB&qid=1607066559&sr=8-3

per release notes, chipset support was added in 6.0-beta11g and others here have noted using them just fine.  but anyways im sure there are plenty of other options as well

Edited by zoggy
    6 hours ago, zoggy said:

have a free usb port (just do usb 3.0 or anything with type c so you can actually get 1G speeds)?

Yes, that is a solution, thx, still hope 6.9 will be released soon!

1 hour ago, timekiller said:

Oh no!! I literally just bought this card less than a month ago. This is truly terrible news for me...

Check to see what the vendor's return policy is.  You have a reason (not supported beyond Linux kernel 4.9) to request return.

Edited by Frank1940
    14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Check to see what the vendor's return policy is.  You have a reason (not supported beyond Linux kernel 4.9) to request return.

Bought on ebay 😕

I was running beta35 for about a week or so and everything was running fine. Then one day, recently, my Dashboard tab and UD on the Main tab would not load.  My dockers all crashed but my VM's all still work fine; except I cannot add devices in the Edit page of the VM's like add USB things (microphone, mouse, keyboard, etc...) like I usually do while it's running.  The crashing has continued and prevent a graceful shutdown.  

Problems started during the rebuilding of a replaced drive to an upgraded (10TB to 14TB) drive.  Since then all of the problem described above have ensued.

Beta35 was working so well prior to the rebuilding event... 

I have reverted to Beta30 initiated an immediate backup of all things.  Immediately following this post I am upgrading motherboard and CPU to LGA2066 from LGA2011-3.  Same 128GB non-ecc memory, HDD/SDD/M.2's, and P2000 and 1080ti.

ripley-diagnostics-20201204-2330.zip

7 hours ago, djhunter67 said:

crashing has continued

Your syslog is full, mostly of this:

Dec  4 15:07:32 Ripley kernel: pcieport 0000:00:02.2: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:00:02.2
    Dec  4 15:07:32 Ripley kernel: pcieport 0000:00:02.2: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Receiver ID)
    Dec  4 15:07:32 Ripley kernel: pcieport 0000:00:02.2: AER:   device [8086:6f06] error status/mask=00000040/00002000
    Dec  4 15:07:32 Ripley kernel: pcieport 0000:00:02.2: AER:    [ 6] BadTLP                

Looks like a hardware problem not related to this release

image.png.495409907ef53e0fefc86a0f2807c5f6.png

I noticed this on the devices page when hovering over the reset icon. Is this a placeholder for future functionality or just a FYI?

Asking because I could have used this today. :)

41 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

I noticed this on the devices page when hovering over the reset icon. Is this a placeholder for future functionality or just a FYI?

I believe it's an FYI.

I noticed that my plexinc docker will hardware transcode with nvidia driver after a fresh reboot with a P2000 but loses that ability after a sleep and wake cycle. Since several things are new (trying the HDR tone mapping on new plexpass versions of plex), I'm not actually sure where the problem lies.

Again this is fixed with a system reboot.

Just now, omORANGE said:

I noticed that my plexinc docker will hardware transcode with nvidia driver after a fresh reboot with a P2000 but loses that ability after a sleep and wake cycle. Since several things are new (trying the HDR tone mapping on new plexpass versions of plex), I'm not actually sure where the problem lies.

Again this is fixed with a system reboot.

Probably best to to ask about this here 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:30 AM, craigr said:

I just setup a second cache pool with Beta 35 using two Samsung 850 PRO SSD's and it worked well.  However, I couldn't help but notice that capital letters, numbers proceeding the pool's name, and special characters are not permitted.  I would have liked to have just called this cache2 or SSD_Pool.  Not really a big deal, but are there plans to allow for this, but this is jut beta?

So far I am loving having all my VM shares; isos, vdisks, system on the SSD pool.  Everything is running great :)

craigr

How did you get your docker and VM's to move over to the new cache pool?  Did you have to manually move the files between pool A and pool B?  I have set my appdata and system shares to prefer the new 2nd cache pool but nothing is happening when I run the mover.

14 minutes ago, Andiroo2 said:

How did you get your docker and VM's to move over to the new cache pool?  Did you have to manually move the files between pool A and pool B?  I have set my appdata and system shares to prefer the new 2nd cache pool but nothing is happening when I run the mover.

At the moment the most hands off method is to do it in 2 steps, first to the array, then back to the new pool.

Be sure you have disabled both docker and vm services, if you still have the VM and Docker menu items in the GUI they aren't disabled.

Set the shares you want to move to cache yes, then run the mover. After that completes, set them to cache prefer the new pool, and run the mover again.

Alternatively you could manually move them, again be sure the services are disabled.

• Like 1

After these commands in a Terminal session:

- mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d

- touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

How to see if AMD is working within dockers?

How to add the AMD GPU to a docker? 

Hello,
    I was able to configure my Ryzen 3950x CPU for Windows 10 VM with "host-passthrough". So, now Win sees cpu correctly. Below are my configs for VM settings xml file:

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
        <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
        <cache mode='passthrough'/>
        <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
      </cpu>

So from what I'm reading @linuxserver.io left and isn't going to be updating things for unRAID anymore?  Yikes!  I have a pile of docker containers that they are nice enough to update for us.

What do we do now?  This surely sounds like a big deal.

11 minutes ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

So from what I'm reading @linuxserver.io left and isn't going to be updating things for unRAID anymore?  Yikes!  I have a pile of docker containers that they are nice enough to update for us.

What do we do now?  This surely sounds like a big deal.

Not that I'm aware of.