• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta35 available

limetech

New in this release:

GPU Driver Integration

Unraid OS now includes selected in-tree GPU drivers: ast (Aspeed), i915 (Intel), amdgpu and radeon (AMD).  These drivers are blacklisted by default via 'conf' files in /etc/modprobe.d:

/etc/modprobe.d/ast.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Each of these files has a single line which blacklists the driver, preventing it from being loaded by the Linux kernel.

However it is possible to override the settings in these files by creating the directory 'config/modprobe.d' on your USB flash boot device and then creating the same named-file in that directory.  For example, to unblacklist amdgpu type these commands in a Terminal session:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

When Unraid OS boots, before the Linux kernel executes device discovery, we copy any files from /boot/config/modprobe.d to /etc/modprobe.d.  Since amdgpu.conf on the flash is an empty file, it will effectively cancel the driver from being blacklisted.

This technique can be used to set boot-time options for any driver as well.

Better Support for Third Party Drivers

Recall that we distribute Linux modules and firmware in separate squashfs files which are read-only mounted at /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.  We now set up an overlayfs on each of these mount points, making it possible to install 3rd party modules at boot time, provided those modules are built against the same kernel version.  This technique may be used by Community Developers to provide an easier way to add modules not included in base Unraid OS: no need to build custom bzimage, bzmodules, bzfirmware and bzroot files.

To go along with the other GPU drivers included in this release, we have created a separate installable Nvidia driver package.  Since each new kernel version requires drivers to be rebuilt, we have set up a feed that enumerates each driver available with each kernel.

The easiest way to install the Nvdia driver, if you require it, is to make use of a plugin provided by Community member @ich777This plugin uses the feed to install the correct driver for the currently running kernel.  A big thank you! to @ich777 for providing assistance and coding up the the plugin:

Linux Kernel

This release includes Linux kernel 5.8.18.  We realize the 5.8 kernel has reached EOL and we are currently busy upgrading to 5.9.

Version 6.9.0-beta35 2020-11-12 (vs -beta30)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 25
    • brotli: version 1.0.9 build 2
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.9
    • ca-certificates: version 20201016
    • curl: version 7.73.0
    • dmidecode: version 3.3
    • ethtool: version 5.9
    • freetype: version 2.10.4
    • fuse3: version 3.10.0
    • git: version 2.29.1
    • glib2: version 2.66.2
    • glibc-solibs: version 2.30 build 2
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2020d
    • glibc: version 2.30 build 2
    • iproute2: version 5.9.0
    • jasper: version 2.0.22
    • less: version 563
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8 build 2
    • libevdev: version 1.10.0
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.7
    • libnftnl: version 1.1.8
    • librsvg: version 2.50.1
    • libwebp: version 1.1.0 build 3
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10 build 3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.27
    • nano: version 5.3
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20201024
    • nginx: version 1.19.4
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 3
    • openssh: version 8.4p1 build 2
    • pam: version 1.4.0 build 2
    • rpcbind: version 1.2.5 build 2
    • samba: version 4.12.9 (CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318)
    • talloc: version 2.3.1 build 4
    • tcp_wrappers: version 7.6 build 3
    • tdb: version 1.4.3 build 4
    • tevent: version 0.10.2 build 4
    • usbutils: version 013
    • util-linux: version 2.36 build 2
    • vsftpd: version 3.0.3 build 7
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.31
    • xterm: version 361

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.18
    • added GPU drivers:
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON: ATI Radeon
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR: Always enable userptr support
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU: AMD GPU
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI: Enable amdgpu support for SI parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK: Enable amdgpu support for CIK parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR: Always enable userptr write support
    • CONFIG_HSA_AMD: HSA kernel driver for AMD GPU devices
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201005_58d41d0
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.16: correction recording disk info with array Stopped; remove 'superblock dirty' handling
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.14.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix 'auto' setting where pools enabled for user shares should not be exported
    • emhttpd: permit Erase of 'DISK_DSBL_NEW' replacement devices
    • emhtptd: track clean/unclean shutdown using file 'config/forcesync'
    • emhttpd: avoid unnecessarily removing mover.cron file
    • modprobe: blacklist GPU drivers by default, config/modprobe.d/* can override at boot
    • samba: disable aio by default
    • startup: setup an overlayfs for /lib/modules and /lib/firmware
    • webgui: pools not enabled for user shares should not be selectable for cache
    • webgui: Add pools information to diagnostics
    • webgui: vnc: add browser cache busting
    • webgui: Multilanguage: Fix unable to delete / edit users
    • webgui: Prevent "Add" reverting to English when adding a new user with an invalid username
    • webgui: Fix Azure / Gray Switch Language being cut-off
    • webgui: Fix unable to use top right icons if notifications present
    • webgui: Changed: Consistency between dashboard and docker on accessing logs
    • webgui: correct login form wrong default case icon displayed
    • webgui: set 'mid-tower' default case icon
    • webgui: fix: jGrowl covering buttons
    • webgui: New Perms: Support multi-cache pools
    • webgui: Remove WG from Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: dockerMan: Allow readmore in advanced view
    • webgui: dockerMan: Only allow name compatible with docker

Edited by limetech

• Like 11
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

12 minutes ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

So from what I'm reading @linuxserver.io left and isn't going to be updating things for unRAID anymore?

One developer who is part of the LSIO consortium has stated that he does not intend to continue development on the unRAID platform.  He is not all of LSIO and others continue active development.

The 7 LSIO docker containers I have installed continue to be updated

31 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

One developer who is part of the LSIO consortium has stated that he does not intend to continue development on the unRAID platform.  He is not all of LSIO and others continue active development.

The 7 LSIO docker containers I have installed continue to be updated

Thank you. I wasn't sure how all of the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

Hi, Just one question before I try to switch back my CPU from Intel to AMD, the GPU driver in this update:"/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf" is this radeon same as the radeon in AMD APU like my 3400G?

Can I use 3400G and passthrough the GPU inside it to PLEX?

28 minutes ago, alitech said:

So iSCISI is supported out of the box now? Unless I misread the release notes.

The kernel modules are present but you still need the plugin from the CA App that installs all necessary software (targetcli-fb,...)

On 12/21/2020 at 6:56 AM, Lancer said:

is this radeon same as the radeon in AMD APU like my 3400G?

Yes, but the amdgpu module is a better match for the Radeon Vega GPU built into the 3400G. The radeon module is better suited to older AMD/ATI GPUs.

Anyone get either AMD driver to work on a 2200G or know of a way to test it or confirm that the driver is actually loaded for the APU? Been working on this for a few days off and on but so far no success. 

1 hour ago, Chess said:

Anyone get either AMD driver to work on a 2200G or know of a way to test it or confirm that the driver is actually loaded for the APU?

You can load it manually using modprobe:

root@Pusok:~# modprobe amdgpu

You can check that it's loaded using lsmod:

root@Pusok:~# lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    amdgpu               4308992  0
    gpu_sched              20480  1 amdgpu
    i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 amdgpu
    drm_kms_helper        163840  1 amdgpu
    ttm                    73728  1 amdgpu
    drm                   356352  4 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu,ttm
    agpgart                32768  2 ttm,drm

I don't have a 2200G to test but the above is using a 3400G and I'm also using Unraid 6.9.0-rc2. This thread is dedicated to the now deprecated beta35 release and you ought to upgrade. Loading the module is trivially simple but the real question is how do you hope to use it?

15 hours ago, John_M said:

I don't have a 2200G to test but the above is using a 3400G and I'm also using Unraid 6.9.0-rc2. This thread is dedicated to the now deprecated beta35 release and you ought to upgrade. Loading the module is trivially simple but the real question is how do you hope to use it?

Thank you for the reply @John_M

Yeah I did upgrade to RC2, and guess I should have posted this on that thread. Sorry.

My plan was to see if I can get a PLEX docker to use the APU for transcoding. I run PLEX on another system, and would love to bring it back onto unraid vs another box running. Now that I see that it is running I'm going to see if I can test it.

4 hours ago, Chess said:

My plan was to see if I can get a PLEX docker to use the APU for transcoding

In that case I refer you to this page: https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

If you have any success you'll want to make the loading of the module happen automatically on each reboot of Unraid - see the relese notes at the top of this page:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

And if you are successful then please document what you did as other users will find it helpful.

Edited by John_M
    1 hour ago, Chess said:

I've had this same APU work for transcoding in Windows 10 for PLEX

The "Windows-specific Notes" on the page I referred, suggest that it might work under Windows on a no promises, "as-is" basis. There seems to be even less support under Linux.

Thanks a lot for the update.

Which module should I enable for my AMD R9 Nano (Fiji Arch.) ?

Super eager to have both the Docker & simple passthrough to VM support.

Edited by soulskill
    On 12/9/2020 at 10:09 PM, frodr said:

After these commands in a Terminal session:

- mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d

- touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

How to see if AMD is working within dockers?

How to add the AMD GPU to a docker? 

Any eli5 to this would be nice 🙂

5 hours ago, soulskill said:

Which module should I enable for my AMD R9 Nano (Fiji Arch.) ?

I think the radeon module would be the one for this GPU.

5 hours ago, soulskill said:

How to see if AMD is working within dockers?

How to add the AMD GPU to a docker?

Both depend on what the docker container is trying to do and how it's built. Obviously software support needs to be built into the container. In the case of a container that wants to leverage the compute capability of an AMD GPU (such as a FoldingAtHome or BOINC container) the OpenCL subsystem - essentially a compiler - would need to be included. That's included in the amdgpu-pro driver package. For a container aimed at transcoding video (such as Handbrake) the Video Acceleration API (vaapi) needs to be included. From a software point of view, that's libva and associated libraries and from a hardware point of view, that's the Direct Render Interface devices in /dev/dri.

I haven't been aware of any containers that are able to make use of AMD GPUs, until now. Very recently, both a Plex container ( https://forums.plex.tv/t/got-hw-transcoding-to-work-with-libva-vaapi-on-raden-apu-ryzen-7-4700u/676546 ) and a Jellyfin container ( https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/ ) have been released that can make use of some AMD GPUs. The Plex container's GUI indicates when hardware transcoding is in use. The Jellyfin one doesn't but it's easy to see the difference in CPU usage between software and hardware transcoding.

• Thanks 1
    14 minutes ago, John_M said:

I think the radeon module would be the one for this GPU.

Both depend on what the docker container is trying to do and how it's built. Obviously software support needs to be built into the container. In the case of a container that wants to leverage the compute capability of an AMD GPU (such as a FoldingAtHome or BOINC container) the OpenCL subsystem - essentially a compiler - would need to be included. That's included in the amdgpu-pro driver package. For a container aimed at transcoding video (such as Handbrake) the Video Acceleration API (vaapi) needs to be included. From a software point of view, that's libva and associated libraries and from a hardware point of view, that's the Direct Render Interface devices in /dev/dri.

I haven't been aware of any containers that are able to make use of AMD GPUs, until now. Very recently, both a Plex container ( https://forums.plex.tv/t/got-hw-transcoding-to-work-with-libva-vaapi-on-raden-apu-ryzen-7-4700u/676546 ) and a Jellyfin container ( https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/ ) have been released that can make use of some AMD GPUs. The Plex container's GUI indicates when hardware transcoding is in use. The Jellyfin one doesn't but it's easy to see the difference in CPU usage between software and hardware transcoding.

Thanks @John_M !

Yep, and indeed it was ich777’s post that sparked my interest back into unraid; while 24hrs were spent on ebay’s bidding war for a decently priced nVidia GPU (for which there is absolutely none unless one goes lowfi).

I’ll look into the gpu config/containers thingy over the weekend i.e. once I finish the build.

Cheers!

Edited by soulskill
    • Like 1