• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc1 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Besides bug fixing, most of the work in this release is related to upgrading to the Linux 5.9 kernel where, due to kernel API changes, it has become necessary to move device spin-up/down and spin-up group handling out of the md/unraid driver and have it handled entirely in user space.  This also let us fix an issue where device spin-up of devices in user-defined pools was executed serially instead of in parallel.

We should also now be able to properly support SAS device spin-up/down (finally) and with extraordinary help from @doron we are almost there.  SAS devices are generally designed for enterprise environments where device spin-down is rare, and many devices have inconsistent behavior surrounding this functionality.  This release itself does not include SAS device spin handling built-in but @doron is providing a plugin where we continue to address some nagging details.  We expect to have this ironed out before stable release.

Along with re-work of device spin control, we have also integrated spin-up/down and temperature monitoring for unassigned devices.  We have coordinated with @dlandon to ensure proper integration with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  If you've read this far, and you are using the Unassigned Devices plugin, please remove it first before upgrading and then re-install UD via Community Apps.

Since we have not identified any data loss bugs related to the user-defined pools feature, I have removed the -beta designation and we now enter the -rc phase.  Our plan is for this to be relatively short and limited to squashing bugs.  We are in the process of writing up more thorough release notes in preparation for stable release.

A lot of exciting changes and features are coming to Unraid OS and I want to thank everyone for participating in our Pre-release program!

Version 6.9.0-rc1 2020-12-09 (vs -beta35)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 27
    • hdparm: version 9.60
    • icu4c: version 68.1
    • intel-microcode: version 20201118
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201130_7455a36
    • nginx: version 1.19.5
    • openssh: version 8.4p1
    • pam: version 1.5.1
    • php: version 7.4.13
    • samba: version 4.12.10
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0

Linux kernel:

• version 5.9.13
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.17
      removed spinup group spinup/spdindown support (functionality moved to emhttpd)
      added configurable sync start offset
    • added iSCSI kernel support:
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET: Linux-iSCSI.org iSCSI Target Mode Stack
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET_CXGB4: Chelsio iSCSI target offload driver
      CONFIG_LOOPBACK_TARGET: TCM Virtual SAS target and Linux/SCSI LDD fabric loopback module
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET: NVMe Target support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_LOOP: NVMe loopback device support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU: NVMe Target Passthrough support
      CONFIG_TARGET_CORE: Generic Target Core Mod (TCM) and ConfigFS Infrastructure
      CONFIG_TCM_FILEIO: TCM/FILEIO Subsystem Plugin for Linux/VFS
      CONFIG_TCM_IBLOCK: TCM/IBLOCK Subsystem Plugin for Linux/BLOCK
      CONFIG_TCM_PSCSI: TCM/pSCSI Subsystem Plugin for Linux/SCSI
      CONFIG_TCM_USER2: TCM/USER Subsystem Plugin for Linux
    • added USB/IP kernel support:
      CONFIG_USBIP_CORE: USB/IP support
      CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD: VHCI hcd

Management:

• emhttpd: implement spinup group spinup/spindown; add spinup/spindown callouts
    • emhttpd: get rid of poll_attributes event
    • emhttpd: fix disk "SMART controller type" not being honored when reading temperatures
    • rsyslog: fix broken "Mirror syslog to flash"
    • webgui: Fix wrong docker run URL reference
    • webgui: Fix crash when reading very large log files (limiting output to 1000 lines).
    • webgui: Fix dismiss all notification
    • webgui: Fix Started VMs not appearing in dashboard
    • webgui: VM manager: add virtio-win-0.1.190-1
    • webgui: Notifications: Fix gap on white / black
    • webgui: Do not show CA profiles in Add Container list
    • webgui: support spin-up/down and temperature monitoring of unassigned devices
    • webgui: VM manager: Fix: Changing from VM VNC graphics to GPU passthrough
    • webgui: Change Icon for Motherboard Info from cog (settings) to info

Edited by limetech

• Like 22

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

13 minutes ago, klogg said:

Thanks @dlandon, all are unmounted already. I turned off auto-mount and rebooted to have a clean slate. It has been up for 2.5 hours, didn't mount any network shares, and still getting that winbindd cycle of messagesin the log every 60 seconds like clockwork. Other suggestions?

Are you using a domain controller?

Upgraded from the latest beta and everything works as it should, except SMART support is disabled for my drives that are connected directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard. The drives connected to my HBA are working fine and have SMART support enabled.

Anyone else having this problem? Or any idea what could cause it and how to solve it?

2 minutes ago, AnotherJimmy said:

Upgraded from the latest beta and everything works as it should, except SMART support is disabled for my drives that are connected directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard. The drives connected to my HBA are working fine and have SMART support enabled.

Anyone else having this problem? Or any idea what could cause it and how to solve it?

Where are you seeing SMART disabled?

5 minutes ago, limetech said:

Where are you seeing SMART disabled?

When I click on the device in the Main page and scroll to the bottom of the device page. Also I don't get any temp readings on those drives on the Main page.

smart_disabled.png

Edited by AnotherJimmy
    Added screenshot
    • Thanks 2
    2 hours ago, nexusmaniac said:

the spinup mechanic has changed between b35 & rc1, resulting in an undesired effect

Yes it has but we can fix this...

• Thanks 1
    39 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are you using a domain controller?

No, not to my knowledge. I am not on a domain network here. 

20 minutes ago, zoggy said:

doesnt unraid by default enable 'domain' ?

I believe it enables the Domain share by default, but not domain networking.

I double checked though, I am set up for workgroup, not domain networking.

image.thumb.png.78334a6e4bf7b9d57fd444a242c13814.png

10 hours ago, dlandon said:

Remove these lines:

log level = 3
    logging = syslog

from SMB Extras  You can click on Settings-SMB and change it.  This looks to be some left over entries from the Recycle Bin plugin.

Early impression is that this solved it. 5 minutes in and no more log entries.

I'll update again in a couple of hours, but a presumptive 1000 thank you's @dlandon!

Morning edit: it is definitely fixed.

Very, very much appreciate your help.

/klogg

Edited by klogg
    27 minutes ago, klogg said:

Early impression is that this solved it. 5 minutes in and no more log entries.

I'll update again in a couple of hours, but a presumptive 1000 thank you's @dlandon!

Very, very much appreciate your help.

/klogg

Those entries were out of place and I believe enabled some excessive smb logging to your syslog, instead of to the samba log.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    4 hours ago, craigr said:

Updated from Beta35 yesterday.  Painless.  Only issue was that on the first reboot a parity check started.

craigr

Can you tell me which plugins that you have installed?

13 minutes ago, BIGCHEW said:

How do i get my nvidia quadro drivers back? just updated to 6.9.0-rc1 But now Plex is not working ! Thanks

Have you upgraded from 6.8.3 to the RC1 or did you upgrade it from beta35?

If you upgraded from beta35 may I ask if you got pfSense (or any other kind of firewall) virtualized in Unraid so that it prevents Unraid from connecting to the internet at boot?

If you came from 6.8.3 please follow this guide:

i was on beta something or rather(done forgot) But Its All Good I Figured It Out..I Just hit the panic button when plex did not start after i did the update & rebooted..lol. Thanks

19 hours ago, doron said:

Posting in this thread just to follow up, I've just pushed a new version (0.8) of the SAS Spindown plugin, supporting 6.9.0-rc1 and the new spin up/down mechanisms. It's on CA.

Hi Doron,

Have been testing fully today, all looks good for me Thanks.

have removed standby_z and _y settings I had for my drives.

I have included by Syslog showing testing, I have wrappers for hdparm and smartctl, and my vers of smartctl so i can see what is using the commands and args still. i.e. Fix Common Probs is just using hdparm.

@limetech @dlandon

UD devices are not being spun down by inactivity, works fine if manual or using the Spin all up/down.

If using spin all up/down drives state refreshes, but the UD ones doesn't unless you do a full page reload.

syslog

Edited by SimonF
    15 hours ago, sivart said:

@limetech I apologize.  I think it was the telegraf docker image.  Even though it was reporting not running, I think it was continuously trying to restart an issuing SMART commands. Disabling telgraf allowed the drives to spin down. 

I'm having the same problem - no spindown with telegraf running or any other app that calls smartctl. hdparm seems to be okay.

Edited by CS01-HS

After a seamless upgrade to the 6.9RC1 version, I appeared to have lost my NVMe temperature warning/critical temperature thresholds.   When I try to replace them, and click apply, they revert to the defaults.   Am I missing a new step here?

Edited by boxmantech
    spelling
    1 minute ago, boxmantech said:

After a seamless upgrade to the 6.9RC1 version, I appeared to have lost my NVMe temperature warning/critical temperature thresholds.   When I try to replace them, and click apply, they revert to the defaults.   Am I missing a new step here?

EDIT: I rebooted and then was able to successfully add these to my cache drives.   Issue still remains on the the drives under my Unassigned Devices.

2 hours ago, SimonF said:

UD devices are not being spun down by inactivity, works fine if manual or using the Spin all up/down.

This is a known issue.

2 hours ago, SimonF said:

If using spin all up/down drives state refreshes, but the UD ones doesn't unless you do a full page reload.

UD does not currently do an automatic refresh.  You have to do a page refresh to update.

• Thanks 1
    2 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

I'm having the same problem - no spindown with telegraf running or any other app that calls smartctl. hdparm seems to be okay.

Alright, it seems that if drives are spun down by unraid, either manually with the web interface or automatically, calling smartctl wakes them up.

If they're spun down with hdparm -y, calling smartctl does NOT wake them up.

Is that intended behavior?