• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc1 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Besides bug fixing, most of the work in this release is related to upgrading to the Linux 5.9 kernel where, due to kernel API changes, it has become necessary to move device spin-up/down and spin-up group handling out of the md/unraid driver and have it handled entirely in user space.  This also let us fix an issue where device spin-up of devices in user-defined pools was executed serially instead of in parallel.

We should also now be able to properly support SAS device spin-up/down (finally) and with extraordinary help from @doron we are almost there.  SAS devices are generally designed for enterprise environments where device spin-down is rare, and many devices have inconsistent behavior surrounding this functionality.  This release itself does not include SAS device spin handling built-in but @doron is providing a plugin where we continue to address some nagging details.  We expect to have this ironed out before stable release.

Along with re-work of device spin control, we have also integrated spin-up/down and temperature monitoring for unassigned devices.  We have coordinated with @dlandon to ensure proper integration with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  If you've read this far, and you are using the Unassigned Devices plugin, please remove it first before upgrading and then re-install UD via Community Apps.

Since we have not identified any data loss bugs related to the user-defined pools feature, I have removed the -beta designation and we now enter the -rc phase.  Our plan is for this to be relatively short and limited to squashing bugs.  We are in the process of writing up more thorough release notes in preparation for stable release.

A lot of exciting changes and features are coming to Unraid OS and I want to thank everyone for participating in our Pre-release program!

Version 6.9.0-rc1 2020-12-09 (vs -beta35)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 27
    • hdparm: version 9.60
    • icu4c: version 68.1
    • intel-microcode: version 20201118
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201130_7455a36
    • nginx: version 1.19.5
    • openssh: version 8.4p1
    • pam: version 1.5.1
    • php: version 7.4.13
    • samba: version 4.12.10
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0

Linux kernel:

• version 5.9.13
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.17
      removed spinup group spinup/spdindown support (functionality moved to emhttpd)
      added configurable sync start offset
    • added iSCSI kernel support:
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET: Linux-iSCSI.org iSCSI Target Mode Stack
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET_CXGB4: Chelsio iSCSI target offload driver
      CONFIG_LOOPBACK_TARGET: TCM Virtual SAS target and Linux/SCSI LDD fabric loopback module
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET: NVMe Target support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_LOOP: NVMe loopback device support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU: NVMe Target Passthrough support
      CONFIG_TARGET_CORE: Generic Target Core Mod (TCM) and ConfigFS Infrastructure
      CONFIG_TCM_FILEIO: TCM/FILEIO Subsystem Plugin for Linux/VFS
      CONFIG_TCM_IBLOCK: TCM/IBLOCK Subsystem Plugin for Linux/BLOCK
      CONFIG_TCM_PSCSI: TCM/pSCSI Subsystem Plugin for Linux/SCSI
      CONFIG_TCM_USER2: TCM/USER Subsystem Plugin for Linux
    • added USB/IP kernel support:
      CONFIG_USBIP_CORE: USB/IP support
      CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD: VHCI hcd

Management:

• emhttpd: implement spinup group spinup/spindown; add spinup/spindown callouts
    • emhttpd: get rid of poll_attributes event
    • emhttpd: fix disk "SMART controller type" not being honored when reading temperatures
    • rsyslog: fix broken "Mirror syslog to flash"
    • webgui: Fix wrong docker run URL reference
    • webgui: Fix crash when reading very large log files (limiting output to 1000 lines).
    • webgui: Fix dismiss all notification
    • webgui: Fix Started VMs not appearing in dashboard
    • webgui: VM manager: add virtio-win-0.1.190-1
    • webgui: Notifications: Fix gap on white / black
    • webgui: Do not show CA profiles in Add Container list
    • webgui: support spin-up/down and temperature monitoring of unassigned devices
    • webgui: VM manager: Fix: Changing from VM VNC graphics to GPU passthrough
    • webgui: Change Icon for Motherboard Info from cog (settings) to info

Edited by limetech

• Like 22

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Had a few strange messages in Log this morning, cannot see what caused them.

Dec 14 08:33:35 Tower smbd[2393]: [2020/12/14 08:33:35.961092, 0] ../../source3/lib/sysquotas.c:565(sys_get_quota)
    Dec 14 08:33:35 Tower smbd[2393]: sys_path_to_bdev() failed for path [src/iscsi]!

20 minutes ago, RusmanCool said:

Yeap, it was set to not check spun down disks.

So, I had removed FCP plugin along with UD one. I have spun down all four disks, and after 16 mins they are still spun down, and there is only one extra ntpd log seen after them. So, that seems as those two plugins need an update to work properly with RC1 release.

Edited by RusmanCool
    6 hours ago, RusmanCool said:

So, that seems as those two plugins need an update to work properly with RC1 release.

UD does not do any disk io on RC1.  It UD was uninstalled, mounted disks are unmounted.

See this:

If you don't set up cache dirs correctly, all mounted UD devices could be cached causing a lot of disk io.

Had a problem with several shutdowns this morning with RC1.
    Execute function was set to sleep, but almost exactly after 30 min. UNRAID shut down.

Anyone else? Maybe the reason that I am only on cache NVME and the following was set in sleep settings:

Extra delay after array inactivity: 30

I put Sleep Settings on "Disabled" for now and see if this will fix it.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:51 PM, RusmanCool said:

So, I had removed FCP plugin along with UD one. I have spun down all four disks, and after 16 mins they are still spun down, and there is only one extra ntpd log seen after them. So, that seems as those two plugins need an update to work properly with RC1 release.

I just removed FCP because I've been experiencing constant disk spin ups since installing this RC. Gonna see what happens overnight and will look at UD next if things don't remain spun down. 

Edit: No activity all night. FCP definitely needs fixing. 

Edited by AdrianF
    Updated
    • Like 1

@limetech,

looks like this is still an issue for me in RC1 (beta 25 and back works fine, bug first discovered in beta 30), any update on a potential fix timeline?

One of my drives shows "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout."

Edited by wickedathletes
    12 hours ago, wickedathletes said:

@limetech,

looks like this is still an issue for me in RC1 (beta 25 and back works fine, bug first discovered in beta 30), any update on a potential fix timeline?

One of my drives shows "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout."

To summarize the issue for @limetech:

Here are diags from beta 30:
    https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta30-available-r1076/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-10968 

And here are the results of `hexdump -C -n 512 /dev/sdh`

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta30-available-r1076/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-10972 

limetech said: Thanks, yes that explains it.  Probably, with -beta25 and even earlier releases, if you click on the device from Main and then look at 'Partition format' it will say 'GPT: 4KiB-aligned (factory erased)' - that (factory erased) shouldn't be there.  Will fix for next release.

I know I'm asking a lot. Is it possible to get Unraid 6.9 to LTS kernel 5.10 before full release? Only reason I ask is for the comfort of having an LTS kernel from both support as a user and also for the devs. I'm not gonna be upset if I'm told "no". Just thought I would ask and figured an LTS kernel could benefit the UnRaid team in this release :) .

edit: also, thanks for the RC1 release! it seems to be working well so far! thanks for fixing the dashboard issues!

Edited by Darksurf
    • Like 1

Update went smooth to RC1. No crazy drive activity, just a warning saying that "ca.mover.tuning.plg" wasn't compatible with this version of unRAID.

8 hours ago, Darksurf said:

I know I'm asking a lot. Is it possible to get Unraid 6.9 to LTS kernel 5.10 before full release?

I think that it is the plan if I remember correctly past discussions.

• Like 2
    On 12/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, RusmanCool said:

Yeap, it was set to not check spun down disks.

Reason being is that the traditional way of checking for a disk spundown is /var/local/emhttp/disks.ini

color="...-blink"

This attribute doesn't seem to be updated consistently anymore, and the appropriate way now of checking for a spundown disk is

spundown="1"

• Like 1
    3 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Updated just fine to 6.9.0 RC1 but now my wireguard isnt allowing connections.

Known issue?

Anyone else have issues with wireguard?

My wireguard is working fine. Just tested ;)

23 hours ago, Squid said:

Works fine for me 🤔

23 hours ago, dlandon said:

No problems for me.

Went a step further and configured each drive to spin down at 1 hour rather than the global setting and that seems to have fixed things. 

I think my biggest frustration with 6.9-rc* is that Unraid still fails to recognize when I have changed ports for containers away from their defaults. Maybe this is the container devoloper's problem, but I had this issue on 6.8.3 as well. I have on both releases, removed (including removing the archived image file the container saves locally) various containers to see if that would solve my issue. It didn't. This part makes me think it's Unraid's issue.

Is there a script I can run, followed by a reboot if necessary?

EDIT: Yes, I have filed a bug report.

Edited by SLNetworks

I must admit I cannot work out from your description what the problem you are trying to report actually is?  I think you need to provide a series of steps that would allow other users to try and replicate you problem (and to confirm it is a genuine bug).