• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc1 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Besides bug fixing, most of the work in this release is related to upgrading to the Linux 5.9 kernel where, due to kernel API changes, it has become necessary to move device spin-up/down and spin-up group handling out of the md/unraid driver and have it handled entirely in user space.  This also let us fix an issue where device spin-up of devices in user-defined pools was executed serially instead of in parallel.

We should also now be able to properly support SAS device spin-up/down (finally) and with extraordinary help from @doron we are almost there.  SAS devices are generally designed for enterprise environments where device spin-down is rare, and many devices have inconsistent behavior surrounding this functionality.  This release itself does not include SAS device spin handling built-in but @doron is providing a plugin where we continue to address some nagging details.  We expect to have this ironed out before stable release.

Along with re-work of device spin control, we have also integrated spin-up/down and temperature monitoring for unassigned devices.  We have coordinated with @dlandon to ensure proper integration with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  If you've read this far, and you are using the Unassigned Devices plugin, please remove it first before upgrading and then re-install UD via Community Apps.

Since we have not identified any data loss bugs related to the user-defined pools feature, I have removed the -beta designation and we now enter the -rc phase.  Our plan is for this to be relatively short and limited to squashing bugs.  We are in the process of writing up more thorough release notes in preparation for stable release.

A lot of exciting changes and features are coming to Unraid OS and I want to thank everyone for participating in our Pre-release program!

Version 6.9.0-rc1 2020-12-09 (vs -beta35)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 27
    • hdparm: version 9.60
    • icu4c: version 68.1
    • intel-microcode: version 20201118
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201130_7455a36
    • nginx: version 1.19.5
    • openssh: version 8.4p1
    • pam: version 1.5.1
    • php: version 7.4.13
    • samba: version 4.12.10
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0

Linux kernel:

• version 5.9.13
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.17
      removed spinup group spinup/spdindown support (functionality moved to emhttpd)
      added configurable sync start offset
    • added iSCSI kernel support:
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET: Linux-iSCSI.org iSCSI Target Mode Stack
      CONFIG_ISCSI_TARGET_CXGB4: Chelsio iSCSI target offload driver
      CONFIG_LOOPBACK_TARGET: TCM Virtual SAS target and Linux/SCSI LDD fabric loopback module
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET: NVMe Target support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_LOOP: NVMe loopback device support
      CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU: NVMe Target Passthrough support
      CONFIG_TARGET_CORE: Generic Target Core Mod (TCM) and ConfigFS Infrastructure
      CONFIG_TCM_FILEIO: TCM/FILEIO Subsystem Plugin for Linux/VFS
      CONFIG_TCM_IBLOCK: TCM/IBLOCK Subsystem Plugin for Linux/BLOCK
      CONFIG_TCM_PSCSI: TCM/pSCSI Subsystem Plugin for Linux/SCSI
      CONFIG_TCM_USER2: TCM/USER Subsystem Plugin for Linux
    • added USB/IP kernel support:
      CONFIG_USBIP_CORE: USB/IP support
      CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD: VHCI hcd

Management:

• emhttpd: implement spinup group spinup/spindown; add spinup/spindown callouts
    • emhttpd: get rid of poll_attributes event
    • emhttpd: fix disk "SMART controller type" not being honored when reading temperatures
    • rsyslog: fix broken "Mirror syslog to flash"
    • webgui: Fix wrong docker run URL reference
    • webgui: Fix crash when reading very large log files (limiting output to 1000 lines).
    • webgui: Fix dismiss all notification
    • webgui: Fix Started VMs not appearing in dashboard
    • webgui: VM manager: add virtio-win-0.1.190-1
    • webgui: Notifications: Fix gap on white / black
    • webgui: Do not show CA profiles in Add Container list
    • webgui: support spin-up/down and temperature monitoring of unassigned devices
    • webgui: VM manager: Fix: Changing from VM VNC graphics to GPU passthrough
    • webgui: Change Icon for Motherboard Info from cog (settings) to info

Edited by limetech

• Like 22

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 12/10/2020 at 9:31 PM, abhi.ko said:

So I upgraded just now, and after the reboot via the WebGUI (did not shutdown the server physically) unRaid came back up and said it detected an unclean shutdown and started a parity check. There are errors related to my nvme cache disk on the log, none of this was there prior to the upgrade, I believe.

Any idea what is going on? 

tower-syslog-20201211-0230.zip 40.28 kB · 8 downloads

Did you solve this issue? I'm on RC2 and everytime I reboot via the WebUI I get a parity check. It wasn't happening on the latest stable release.

1 hour ago, touz said:

Did you solve this issue? I'm on RC2 and everytime I reboot via the WebUI I get a parity check. It wasn't happening on the latest stable release.

Are you sure you aren't having an unclean shutdown?

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Are you sure you aren't having an unclean shutdown?

Yes I'm having an unclean shutdown, this is the message I saw in the log. I also saw that FAQ, but I do have some questions:

One thing that can cause that status to not get updated is if it actually powers off before it can update the status. That is what happens if you "hard" shutdown.
    how do I troubleshoot why it wasn't updated?

...This seems to be more common for USB3 ports.
    Regarding the USB3 part, my flash drive is in a USB2 port.

And, Unraid will eventually timeout after a few minutes and shutdown anyway even if it can't stop the array.
    Again, how would one goes about troubleshooting what process stops the array from being stopped? Should I try to stop/kill all docker containers and VMs before attempting to shutdown/reboot to see if the error persist in the logs?

This issue wasn't happening when I was on the latest stable. However, since I'm very new to Unraid, I'm still in the process of playing a lot with containers and creating new VMs.

Thank you for your help.

8 hours ago, touz said:

No I did not, and that was exactly what was happening with my upgrade too. So I downgraded and went back to 6.8.3 stable and everything is fine, no issues what so ever, nothing changed other than the version of unRaid. I had this happen twice - once with 6.9beta and RC1 - so I am pretty sure it is something related to the code changes, I have no idea what. I did post my diagnostics but did not get any feedback on it.

Another thing, which I believe is related, is what happened with my NVME cache drive, 6.9 RC showed errors related to the NVME drive (Samsung 980 Pro 1TB on an M.2 slot) and after that it became unavailable and all my cache content with it. So I switched to another SSD on hand and rebuilt everything again, was planning to remove the m.2 drive and RMA it but strangely enough on the next reboot it came back as unassigned with no data loss - with all the appdata and VM's intact. I was running it on 6.8.3 until recently, moved it to my windows machine last week. So something is up, doesn't seem like 6.9.3RC doesn't like my hardware/setup.

@touz do you have any nvme drives in your build - what hardware are you using?

57 minutes ago, abhi.ko said:

No I did not, and that was exactly what was happening with my upgrade too. So I downgraded and went back to 6.8.3 stable and everything is fine, no issues what so ever, nothing changed other than the version of unRaid. I had this happen twice - once with 6.9beta and RC1 - so I am pretty sure it is something related to the code changes, I have no idea what. I did post my diagnostics but did not get any feedback on it.

Another thing, which I believe is related, is what happened with my NVME cache drive, 6.9 RC showed errors related to the NVME drive (Samsung 980 Pro 1TB on an M.2 slot) and after that it became unavailable and all my cache content with it. So I switched to another SSD on hand and rebuilt everything again, was planning to remove the m.2 drive and RMA it but strangely enough on the next reboot it came back as unassigned with no data loss - with all the appdata and VM's intact. I was running it on 6.8.3 until recently, moved it to my windows machine last week. So something is up, doesn't seem like 6.9.3RC doesn't like my hardware/setup.

@touz do you have any nvme drives in your build - what hardware are you using?

thank you for your answer. i just found the issue on my end. i just set up a new linux mint vm a few days ago, and saw in the unraid logs that the vm shutdown timeout was exceeded because that vm wasn't shutting down. i had to install qemu guest utils on the vm so that the host could shut down the vm properly.

So afterall it doesn't seem to be related to the RC update.

thanks again!

On 12/29/2020 at 5:52 AM, itimpi said:

I must admit I cannot work out from your description what the problem you are trying to report actually is?  I think you need to provide a series of steps that would allow other users to try and replicate you problem (and to confirm it is a genuine bug).

I simply installed apps from CA and specified which ports at installation I wanted it to use. It didn't apply the settings to the app at that stage or afterwards when going into the app settings.

1 hour ago, SLNetworks said:

I simply installed apps from CA and specified which ports at installation I wanted it to use. It didn't apply the settings to the app at that stage or afterwards when going into the app settings.

I am afraid that still does not give me a set of steps I can use to try and replicate your problem.

I would suggest you need to do something like providing a screenshots of docker container settings you are setting that are not being applied.

Hi all, I'm running RC2 and after a few days working fine I've just found this error:

BUG: bad page map in process php-fpm

and

file: libgpg-error.so.0.30.0 fault:shmem_fault mmap:shmem_mmap readpage:0x0

Tried to extract diagnostics but not responsive... Any clue?

Thanks in advance!

Captura.JPG

EDIT: Passed Memtest86 without errors

Edited by Koldo