• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I seem to have lost drive temps on most of my drives, only my NVME is showing, neither my HDDs or SSDs show, unassigned or not. 

Edited by Roxedus

UD Spindown is now working on my test system, also like @Roxedus after initial boot I have lost drive temps. If you spinup and down all drives temps appear.

Issue with UD and adding another USB device is still happening.

Dev 1 and 2 existing UD drives. Added USB stick Dev3 then Dev4 appears which is Parity

Drive is spinning but Parity on Dashboard and Main show in standby. Only 3 devices show on UD on Main.

Temp is showing for this new Drive, Removing the USB drive causes Parity to spin up but both Dev4 and Parity show standby and you cannot Spinup Parity from Main for just this disk.

Smartctl is called for new flash drive even second.

There is a bug report for this issue will add additional info to it.

image.png.be67d47d4b594a2e968570788900cbb1.png

Edited by SimonF

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.

So your saying if a SATA drive is connected to a SAS controller that spindown and up are still crazy?  This is a huge problem for me as I have 16 spinners connected to my LSI condoler that are getting spun up and down for no reason multiple times per day.  Many of these drives world otherwise go days or even weeks without needing to spin up otherwise.

I love the multiple cache pools and otherwise RC1 is running like a dream for me.  Installing RC2 now.

Thanks for the continued hard work and development,

craigr

Need to report

9 hours ago, Roxedus said:

I seem to have lost drive temps on most of my drives, only my NVME is showing, neither my HDDs or SSDs show, unassigned or not. 

Need to report same issue.  Spin all drives down and spin back up resolves.

6 hours ago, SimonF said:

after initial boot I have lost drive temps. If you spinup and down all drives temps appear.

@limetech and then on a reboot all temps are gone again.  Same on my backup server; no temps for SATA HDDs or SSDs unless I do a manual spin down/up.

Diagnostics attached in case they are useful.  This just seems to be an RC2 problem.

backupnas-diagnostics-20201219-0340.zip

Edited by Hoopster
    7 hours ago, SimonF said:

Issue with UD and adding another USB device is still happening.

Please open separate bug report for this.

1 minute ago, limetech said:

Please open separate bug report for this.

It is the spin up one, I have just sent more info and diags.

I experienced the same issue in the SNMP plugin. An old version of the plugin did not check standby state before getting temperature, leading to drives always being spun up if they didn't report temperature during standby. By adding "--nocheck standby" to  the flags  passed to smartctl, drives will only report temperature while spun up. I'm guessing something similar is happening here. By default, the Web UI only checks the disk temperature every 30 minutes.

11 hours ago, Roxedus said:

Ok found this problem.

BTW: you shouldn't have to click Spin Down, should only have to click Spin Up button to establish temps.

• Like 2
    2 minutes ago, kubed_zero said:

I experienced the same issue in the SNMP plugin. An old version of the plugin did not check standby state before getting temperature, leading to drives always being spun up if they didn't report temperature during standby. By adding "--nocheck standby" to  the flags  passed to smartctl, drives will only report temperature while spun up. I'm guessing something similar is happening here. By default, the Web UI only checks the disk temperature every 30 minutes.

Reporting "-2" as temperature for spun-down disks is not a good idea imho.  When I llived in Colorado a server in the garage routinely got to that temperature and below.  I once spun up disks on a cold server and lost almost half of them!  Since then, put a cardboard box over server which kept it warm enough during winter.   lol

• Haha 2

IN RC1 i couldnt see the hdd temps no matter what i tried... in RC2 i can see array temps if i spin down then spin up the drives. As far as the cache and flash go nothing i tried made the temps show. Could not get smart enabled on the cache. 

Flash does not show temps.

8 minutes ago, Mkultra said:

As far as the cache and flash

What are your cache drives and how are they connected

5 minutes ago, Mkultra said:

Sata SSD connected straight to the motherboard :) 

Is the motherboard controller configured as AHCI in the BIOS?

If it helps my four array hdd's are also plugged directly into the sata ports on the motherboard. I have no LSI expansion card etc installed on this machine.

Edited by Mkultra

SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)

Edited by Mkultra

I am guessing you see temps on 6.8?

What do you get if you run smartctl -A /dev/sdX with sdX being the name of the cache drives?