• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

27 minutes ago, manHands said:

Upgraded from 6.8.3. HighPoint RocketRAID 2840a controller recognized in System Devices, but none of the attached SATA drives (my entire array) are. Controller and drives all recognized in 6.8.3. Had to downgrade.

If that uses rr272x_1x driver then, forgot to add to release notes, it does not build with Linux 5.10 kernel.  I suggest you contact HighPoint and ask them to update their driver.

• Thanks 1
    1 minute ago, limetech said:

If that uses rr272x_1x driver then, forgot to add to release notes, it does not build with Linux 5.10 kernel.  I suggest you contact HighPoint and ask them to update their driver.

Yes, I believe it does. Thanks, and I'll try to get in contact with them.

9 hours ago, Gnomuz said:

This error is due to the absence of the 'nvme-cli' package in the container, and thus the 'nvme' command. You have to install the missing package through the "Post Arguments" parameter of the container (Edit/Advanced View).

Here's the content of my "Post Argument" param for reference, properly working with nvme devices, to be adapted of course to your specific configuration if required :

/bin/sh -c 'apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade && apt-get -y install ipmitool && apt-get -y install smartmontools && apt-get -y install lm-sensors && apt-get -y install nvme-cli && telegraf'

Edit the parameter according to your needs, the container will restart and you shouldn't have the error message in the log.

Perfect result, Adjusted to my own system and nice clean log, Thanks for that very much appreiated.

22 hours ago, ken-ji said:

I suppose a missing feature of unraid is the ability for us to define/tweak the desired table, including overrides for DHCP enabled interfaces and other suck configurations.

Yeah, at least the ability to say "don't assign an IP" would be nice. Cause if you set untagged as no static IP, your option is "automatic" which then assigns a 169 address, and then it seems that even though I have a static assigned to a VLAN, and a default gateway set on said VLAN, it tries to use the 169 untagged interface, and "can't reach the internet"

10 hours ago, XiuzSu said:

Is anyone experiencing major VM slowdowns, and/or way above average cpu usage by VM's?

Yes, I am seeing the same on my system.

Some more details: at least 50 % decrease in performance. Jumped directly from 6.8.2 to 6.9.0-rc2.

Edited by Leifgg

Have had very few problems with the beta's since 22, but drives not spinning down issue still not fixed for me! None of my drives have spun down since upgrading from beta 35 to rc1! Was hoping rc2 would fix this!

Also Dashboard and Docker page still don't scroll on iPad in Chrome or Safari. But then docker page never has, keep hoping it'll be fixed though!

Diagnostics attached.

tower-diagnostics-20201221-1416.zip

19 minutes ago, Denisson said:

Upgraded from RC1 to RC2 and there are no disk temps showing. Ryzen X570 / 3950X

Has been reported several times in this thread.  See first page.  Click spin up all disks button (even if they are already all spinning) and the temps will appear.  Known issue addressed for RC3.

• Thanks 1

Upgraded from beta30. Saw missing temps on some drives once the array came up, but doing a manual spin up restored all temps and they've worked correctly since. No issues with spinups/spindowns across three controllers and 15 drives, and no issues with my dockers or my VMs.

Everything is working great. Thank you Unraid team and the community for all your work!

• Like 1
    46 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Has been reported several times in this thread.  See first page.  Click spin up all disks button (even if they are already all spinning) and the temps will appear.  Known issue addressed for RC3.

Cool, they all popped up later on their own! :) 

• Like 1

Upgraded from rc1 since release without any problems.
    Now stable for 1 day and 11 hrs. System is ASRock H410M-ITX/ac with Intel 10400 CPU. I am running several Dockers, but no VM’s. I have 2 SSD’s of which one is dedicated for plex and outside the array. All drive temps are shown correctly. Drives are also spinning down correctly. 

also installed plugin Dynamix System Temperature v2020-06-20 which detects coretemp nct6775 drivers

only remark is the Motherboard temp is not showing (did not work in previous versions either). CPU temp is shown.

• Like 1
    4 hours ago, xaositek said:

ST31000424SS

Looking at the Smartctl output in your diags they are not showing any temps or further detail.

Can you confirm your H200 is running IT flash?

Edited by SimonF
    5 hours ago, xaositek said:

I noticed my ST31000424SS drives regardless of spin-up/spin-down don't show temperatures.

That's a Smarmontools issue, it worked with 7.0 and it should go back to normal on a future release.

Thanks @JorgeB I did look for tickets for Smartmontools, but didn't see any thing.

@xaositek There is a newer version of smartctl in my post here 

The file is smartctl.r5131 copy this to  directory, chmod +x to make it executable and see if that reports temps.

The other files in the zip are wrappers so don't use those.

22 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Have had very few problems with the beta's since 22, but drives not spinning down issue still not fixed for me! None of my drives have spun down since upgrading from beta 35 to rc1! Was hoping rc2 would fix this!

Also Dashboard and Docker page still don't scroll on iPad in Chrome or Safari. But then docker page never has, keep hoping it'll be fixed though!

Diagnostics attached.

tower-diagnostics-20201221-1416.zip 129.31 kB · 0 downloads

Same issue here for me (although I upgraded from beta35 to rc2, skipping rc1). Seems stable otherwise. Have eight spinners connected in two pairs of four to an LSI 9205-8e. Disks ignore my default spindown delay setting of 15 minutes, and if I manually spin any individual disk down it immediately spins back up. No dockers/VMs are actually accessing the disks to make this happen, as far as I can tell.

6 hours ago, SimonF said:

Looking at the Smartctl output in your diags they are not showing any temps or further detail.

Can you confirm your H200 is running IT flash?

My LSI SAS2008 is completely stock, it is not reflashed and just passing disks straight through to unRAID

Just got a first kernel panic on R2. What is the best way to make these logs persist so I can share it if it happens again? I have a picture of the console screen from the attached monitor but I assume there isn't enough info on it to be useful.

Edited by trypowercycle

I updated to RC2 and now I have a boot loop on the blue screen.  it counts down to 0 and then restarts to 5 and keeps doing that.  Hitting enter on the keyboard doesn't do anything.  I'm trying to download the zip file to replace the bz files but I can't find the link... can someone point me to the link and/or give suggestions on how to fix this?

Edited by mlody

FYI, I fixed the boot problem by replacing the bz files after creating another usb stick and copying it from there.  It booted up, didn't start the array right way, but the array started back up.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:24 AM, Leifgg said:

Yes, I am seeing the same on my system.

Some more details: at least 50 % decrease in performance. Jumped directly from 6.8.2 to 6.9.0-rc2.

I am seen this too. Trying to figure out what could be and no luck so far. I will be doing some testing later tonight. The only meaningful thing I've done was changed from SSD to NVMe where the vdisk was stores but I should of gained speed if anything. I've also changed from btrfs to xfs.