• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

not having any drive issues other than i appear to have lost my cache drive and most of my shares all of a sudden overnight

to be clear the drives and files are all still there and show in the main tab however the shares seem to have gone poof

Edited by TechnicalPyro
    clarity
    2 minutes ago, TechnicalPyro said:

not having any drive issues other than i appear to have lost my cache drive and most of my shares all of a sudden overnight

to be clear the drives and files are all still there and show in the main tab however the shares seem to have gone poof

Please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics (before rebooting).

when i tried to stop the array it caused a system lockup(unrelated need for an xfs_repair on my cache drive

the shares reappeared after the reboot should it occur again i will run and post diagnostics

Is it me, or is there anyone else experiencing the following:

Random hard drive taken from the array and put into the UD?

Then, have a missing disk from the array???

array.png

18 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

Is it me, or is there anyone else experiencing the following:

Random hard drive taken from the array and put into the UD?

array.png

That almost invariably means that the disk dropped offline, and then reconnected with a different /dev/sdX type identifier.  Unraid is not hot plug aware and does not handle this.   We would need the system diagnostics to confirm this.  You might want to check the sata and power cabling to the drive.

26 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

I didn't have a drive become missing an move to UD, but I did have strange issues with Parity spinning up and then being called Dev 4 in UD. See this thread.

Limetech are reviewing my testing and trying to reproduce.

Edited by SimonF
    6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That almost invariably means that the disk dropped offline, and then reconnected with a different /dev/sdX type identifier.  Unraid is not hot plug aware and does not handle this.   We would need the system diagnostics to confirm this.  You might want to check the sata and power cabling to the drive.

This has happened once before with disk 4. I just happened to have a hot spare and again in this case but this is ridiculous.  Are you saying this is not a 6.9.0-rc2 issue?

Separate issue:

Log was 100% so I delete syslog and made a new one and nothing logged until I stopped the array, just now.  Attached is the syslog since the array started.

Please help,

Thanks in advance

ripley-diagnostics-20201223-1441.zip

Edited by djhunter67
    9 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

This has happened once before with disk 4

Did the issue appear after connecting a usb device/stick?

If so I found the issue didn't happen if the drives where spun up.  So you can uninstall UD to stop the auto discovery which now does a call to unraid for it to update the disks or make sure the array is spinning whilst plugging/unplugging devices.

Hopefully Limetech will be fix for rc3.

• Thanks 1

with my drives connected to the SATA ports on my motherboard (a ASRockRack C236 WSI) they still do not spin down in RC2 :(

14 minutes ago, Draic said:

they still do not spin down in RC2

Can you attach diagnostics.

Edited by SimonF
    1 hour ago, Draic said:

sure, here they are

Not sure if this will affect your spin downs, but your have the timer set to 1 hour, but the poll is set to 1800 secs.

The poll could read the disk, try reducing spin down timer or increase poll timer.

1 minute ago, SimonF said:

Not sure if this will affect your spin downs, but your have the timer set to 1 hour, but the poll is set to 1800 secs.

The poll could read the disk, try reducing spin down timer or increase poll timer.

I have increased the poll timer and will report back, but these settings weren't an issue on stable release

• Like 1

Asked on reddit as well

With the integration of the amdgpu drivers, does that now allow the use of amd igpu's from chips like 3200g and 3400g to be used in docker containers for transcoding, same as intel igpu's?

6 minutes ago, eldorado said:

With the integration of the amdgpu drivers, does that now allow the use of amd igpu's from chips like 3200g and 3400g to be used in docker containers for transcoding, same as intel igpu's?

That would depend upon the application.  Plex and HandBrake, for example, do not support AMD GPUs (integrated or discrete) for transcoding.  Only Intel and Nvidia are supported.  HandBrake supports encode only.

I am not aware of any application that supports AMD GPUs for hardware transcoding although some claim they have got it to work in Plex even without official support.

Edited by Hoopster
    2 minutes ago, eldorado said:

Yes, subject, of course, to the containers' ability to make use of them. You mention transcoding, but AMD GPUs aren't currently officially supported by Plex - see the blue box on this page: https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

I seem to have an issue where mover is not honoring excluded disks when it's set to Prefer, and is moving files from an excluded disk onto the cache.

I'm trying to clear space off cache by putting certain files on an excluded disk so the files participate in the (domains) share, but so they aren't taking up valuable SSD space.

Not sure if this is PEBKAC, or a bug.  Or maybe this trick only works for specific cache modes?

fortytwo-diagnostics-20201225-1004.zip

As far as I know, Mover when set to Prefer has always moved from the array to the cache drive / pool.  It doesn't think about included / excluded disks when moving that direction.

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I'm trying to clear space off cache by putting certain files on an excluded disk so the files participate in the (domains) share, but so they aren't taking up valuable SSD space.

There are 2 ways you can approach this, don't know if either will satisfy.

Set to cache-only if you want new writes to go to cache but nothing gets moved. No need to exclude any disk in this scenario since only cache gets written.

Or set to cache-no if you want new writes to go to the array but nothing gets moved. Include/Exclude if you want.

• Like 1
    6 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I seem to have an issue where mover is not honoring excluded disks when it's set to Prefer, and is moving files from an excluded disk onto the cache.

I believe that disk include/exclude are only applied when writing new files to a User Share and are ignored when reading files which automatically includes all drives.

• Like 1
    18 hours ago, SimonF said:

so I had it running with increased poll timer for 24h and nothing changed. There is still no spin down happening :/

Edited by Draic
    23 hours ago, Hoopster said:

That would depend upon the application.  Plex and HandBrake, for example, do not support AMD GPUs (integrated or discrete) for transcoding.  Only Intel and Nvidia are supported.  HandBrake supports encode only.

I am not aware of any application that supports AMD GPUs for hardware transcoding although some claim they have got it to work in Plex even without official support.

23 hours ago, John_M said:

Yes, subject, of course, to the containers' ability to make use of them. You mention transcoding, but AMD GPUs aren't currently officially supported by Plex - see the blue box on this page: https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

It's not official in Plex but have seen many comments from those getting it to work, but there is also Emby and Jellyfin who do seem to officially support AMD

But it is good to know that this is now a possibility with unraid!