• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

7 minutes ago, bpl294 said:

I have been experiencing network issues while on 6.9rc2.  My dockers will stop being able to be reached by any GUI, my transfers speeds slow down to a crawl and i lose access to the console GUI.  It eventually comes back on by itself.  This occurs multiple times in a day.  I have an Intel SFP+ card using the ixgbe drivers.  I have checked the logs when it comes back up and nothing stands out.  I have since reverted back to 6.9rc1 and it does not seem to be an issue there.

If you upgrade again and it happens, then post the diagnostics when it "comes back on by itself".  They should tell people what's going on.

I'm having problems with the RC2 and php-fpm component:

connect() to unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock failed (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)

the error makes the nginx server unavailable but also docker containers do not respond. Here you are the logs

mcario-diagnostics-20210102-2015.zip

Edited by Koldo
    On 12/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, djhunter67 said:

This has happened once before with disk 4. I just happened to have a hot spare and again in this case but this is ridiculous.  Are you saying this is not a 6.9.0-rc2 issue?

Separate issue:

Log was 100% so I delete syslog and made a new one and nothing logged until I stopped the array, just now.  Attached is the syslog since the array started.

Please help,

Thanks in advance

ripley-diagnostics-20201223-1441.zip 404.34 kB · 2 downloads

SOLVED:

I manually deleted the full syslog and recreated it.  Logging was then broken.  one reboot later I and now I no longer suffer from randomly emulated disks....

I do not know why this has solved my issue, but it appears that the %100 full syslog was myt issue.

1 hour ago, djhunter67 said:

SOLVED:

I manually deleted the full syslog and recreated it.  Logging was then broken.  one reboot later I and now I no longer suffer from randomly emulated disks....

I do not know why this has solved my issue, but it appears that the %100 full syslog was myt issue.

Full syslog will not cause disks to be disabled. Problems with disks can certainly fill syslog though. Bad connections are much more common than bad disks. If you continue to have problems start a new thread in General Support and post your diagnostics since this very likely has nothing to do with this release.

11 hours ago, EGOvoruhk said:

Does a cache pool in btrfs-RAID suffer from the massive 5.10 speed regression?

Yes, same as any other Linux with early kernel 5.10.x, one of the reasons I'm still running an earlier beta.

Upgrade from beta 35 to RC2 without any problems MOBO:

OS: UNRAID OS Basic Version: 6.9.0-rc2 (Next) (on Kingston Data Traveler 16GB)

Hardware: X470 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B78) | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 OC 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 | Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB, Intel 82576 Dual NIC

Storage: Intel 660P NVME 1TB x 2 RAID-0 Cache | Seagate Barracuda 4 TB, 8 TB | Seagate IronWolf 4 TB

Dockers: letsencrypt, Plex, Tautulli, RedNode, MQTT, Wekan, Pydio, SageMath, Psono, ELK Stack, Sonarr, Radarr, Bazzar, TIG Stack

VMs:  Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, MacOS Catalina, Ubuntu 20.0.4, pfSense

Edited by Iker

v6.9.0-rc2.

Configuration of how dates and times appear is spread over multiple Settings > User Preferences. Display Settings has one kind of date configuration, and then Notification Settings has another. And I don't even think that they're the same; Notifications had DD-MM-YYYY.

Please consider putting all date/time options in the Settings > System Settings > Date and Time option, and collapse to a single standard. If I select YYYY-MM-DD, I wouldn't expect that I'd see that format in one place, but a different format in another. (Notification popup vs. a log message for example).

• Like 2
    28 minutes ago, Freddy23 said:

Where would one download the beta/rc zips if they were unable to do so through the webGUI?

On 12/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, donatom3 said:

I'm seeing the same thing. I suspect this is what happens before my machine hangs ans I can't even ping it. I had to hard power boot the host as well.

the other day i could ping it but not ssh in or wake my KVM attached screen so far stopping array and restarting every two days has it stable

also stopped Ombi the other day and it server ran 3 days no issue (was only getting 2 days before lock up)

moved ombi to primary server tonight will see how with no dockers started the secondary server holds up

@limetech, just wanted to confirm the issue still exists in RC2:

Here are diags from beta 30:
    https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta30-available-r1076/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-10968

And here are the results of `hexdump -C -n 512 /dev/sdh`

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta30-available-r1076/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-10972

limetech said: Thanks, yes that explains it.  Probably, with -beta25 and even earlier releases, if you click on the device from Main and then look at 'Partition format' it will say 'GPT: 4KiB-aligned (factory erased)' - that (factory erased) shouldn't be there.  Will fix for next release.

Upgrading from 6.9.0-beta25 to 6.9.0-rc2

Sluggish WIN10 KVM performance on rc2

Hi, I have been missing from the forums for a while which goes to tell how trouble free unraid has been. Recently battled with horrible win10 kvm performance after upgrading to rc2 and had a hard time pinpointing the root cause. I didn't anticipate unraid version to be the problem since it was a while after the upgrade I used the kvm. While on rc2, the cores dedicated to the kvm were almost at 100% just by opening a browser.

After I rolled back to beta25 the kvm is working as expected. If this is not a known issue I am happy to provide additional info to help diagnose the problem with rc2. 

Having issues with my VM's (again). Shutting them down is causing the server to essentially crash. This was an issue I had before and had resolve. Also small request, can we have at least 1 VM that can run without the array being started? Mainly for pfsense or VM testing. I'll even pay for this extra feature. 

It appears to be back with rc2. 

@htpcnewbie I had this issue too. If you have 'Tips and Tweaks' plugin, and you use the 'schedule' or 'power saving' mode I found that on this revision it severely slows down the performance and causes high CPU usage. I changed it to 'performance' and the problem went away. Try that.

With v6.8 and if the array was started manually the VMs didn't auto-start, this was useful to for example correct any pass-trough config issues, with v6.9-rc2 VMs still auto-start after manual array start, not sure this was done on purpose or not but it's IMHO a very bad idea.

Upgraded from 6.8.3 to 6.9 RC2 in prep for Nvidia PLEX hardware transcode GTX 1660 Super, so far seems ok and everything is working as expected.

Just now, _rogue said:

Just had to downgrade from RC2 to RC1.

RC2 was becoming very unstable. WebUI (nginx) and docker were locking up.

Unfortunately, without diagnostics from RC2, it will be hard to determine why...

• Like 1
    14 hours ago, Paul_Ber said:

Upgraded from 6.8.3 to 6.9 RC2 in prep for Nvidia PLEX hardware transcode GTX 1660 Super, so far seems ok and everything is working as expected.

I am a little confused about the Plex Nvidia Transcoding?

Am I supposed to use these instructions?

Or is there something from Linetech?

7 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

I am a little confused about the Plex Nvidia Transcoding?

Am I supposed to use these instructions?

Or is there something from Linetech?

The drivers are compiled and provided by limetech, I simply created a plugin and the instructions page so that the installation is as easy as possible.

• Like 1
    1 minute ago, ich777 said:

The drivers are compiled and provided by limetech, I simply created a plugin and the instructions page so that the installation is as easy as possible.

Thanks for doing the plugin and instructions.

• Like 1

@ich777  dumb question I saw a video on YouTube that showed a GPU section in the Dashboard or is that only once you setup your PLEX to use the Nvidia?

I have only followed the instructions up to the point before would follow the instructions for PLEX.

Just go to the Plugins in Unraid and then click on the Nvidia-Driver icon.

Or do you mean in the Plex dashboard?

EDIT: I now got it, you mean the GPUStats plugin, this is also a plugin.

Hello there, I'm new to unraid and the forums, and I just want to report that upgrading from 6.8.3 to 6.9.0 rc2 went really well, no issues so far, except the HDD temperature which is not really one anyway since I can see the temperatures again by spinning my drives up.

In fact, this update solved 3 of my problems since it includes the new Linux kernel which add support to some AMD hardware. I'm using the asus tuf gaming plus wifi x570 and a ryzen 3900x. Before the update, I could not see any temperature for my CPU and motherboards (no fan speed either). Also, I could not pass through my onboard audio without crashing my whole server (even with the vfio-pci plugin). On top of that, I had to remove and recreate my Windows 10 VM template every time I wanted to use it, otherwise it would not boot.

Upgrading to 6.9.0 rc2 solved all of those issues for me. The only thing I did other than upgrading, was to add acpi_enforce_resources=lax in my Syslinux configuration, temperature would not be detected otherwise. And of course, I used the new 6.9.0 feature of reserving hardware for pass through, and this time it worked !

Just putting this out there for anyone who needs it. Have a nice one !

Edited by Partition Pixel

Hi,

I want to use Papertrail to log Unraid syslog. However, in the syslog server setting, it only allow to enter maximum 4 digits in the port, but I need to enter 5 digits.