• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 1/8/2021 at 1:10 AM, XiuzSu said:

@htpcnewbie I had this issue too. If you have 'Tips and Tweaks' plugin, and you use the 'schedule' or 'power saving' mode I found that on this revision it severely slows down the performance and causes high CPU usage. I changed it to 'performance' and the problem went away. Try that.

Thanks for the tip, My Win10 VM with Blue Iris was pegged at 100% after R2 upgrade, back to 25% after changing Tips and Tweaks plugin to performance setting

1 hour ago, cholzer said:

Anyone else gets this error in their log?

I do get this also when I plugin USB Devices, Unassigned devices plugin is installed and array is spun down. There is an issue when UD tells Unraid to update and its being looked into, hopefully fix will be in next RC . Do you get the entries when connecting usb devices?

See this thread 

• Like 3

Hoping RC3 is around the corner with 5.10.8 kernel addressing the BTRFS regression.  Also fingers crossed it fixes my USB woes with some of the other kernel fixes.

• Like 1
    3 hours ago, SimonF said:

Do you get the entries when connecting usb devices?

I have not tried that.
    I only have my Array disks, cache SS and one disk I share through unassigned devices for backups.

That entry in the log just keeps showing up throughout the day.

13 hours ago, greg0986 said:

Smartmontools 7.2

The new function is in 7.2 but there is a issue with Seagate drives I found spinning up. I have submitted a patch ticket #1413 awaiting for the devs to apply.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

Hoping RC3 is around the corner with 5.10.8 kernel addressing the BTRFS regression.  Also fingers crossed it fixes my USB woes with some of the other kernel fixes.

Just want to ask when release the next RC version due to btrfs issue in Linux kernel 5.10. This btrfs issue would take 5 to 20 times as long to untar in 5.10 compare to 5.9 on ssd.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, limetech said:

If that uses rr272x_1x driver then, forgot to add to release notes, it does not build with Linux 5.10 kernel.  I suggest you contact HighPoint and ask them to update their driver.

Hi,

i think it uses the rr37xx_8xx_28xx_linux_src_v1.19.6_20_01_17 driver for linux. Will there be support for that in 6.9?

10 minutes ago, mitchtmitch said:

Do not see 6.9.0-RC2 anymore to download. Does that mean a full release or RC3 is on its way?

I just checked my updates page and RC2 is still the current variant at the moment.

14 minutes ago, mitchtmitch said:

Do not see 6.9.0-RC2 anymore to download. Does that mean a full release or RC3 is on its way?

Go to Tools   >>>   Update OS    and change from 'Stable' to 'Next'.  You will now see rc-2!

EDIT:  I don't believe it was ever available for download from the website.

Edited by Frank1940

increased CPU load every 10 seconds!?

Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3

my UnRAID is bored 90% of the day.
    there are no dockers, no VM's and no one on the LAN accesses the shares.

With 6.8.3, prior to upgrading to RC2, the CPU load was mostly at 0-1%, sometimes there was a spike to 5% on a core.
    Now with RC2 I see multiple CPU cores spike to to 15% every 10 seconds..... (all array disks spun down, no one using it for anything).

nas-diagnostics-20210122-0730.zip

Edited by cholzer
    46 minutes ago, cholzer said:

increased CPU load every 10 seconds!?

Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3

my UnRAID is bored 90% of the day.
    there are no dockers, no VM's and no one on the LAN accesses the shares.

With 6.8.3, prior to upgrading to RC2, the CPU load was mostly at 0-1%, sometimes there was a spike to 5% on a core.
    Now with RC2 I see multiple CPU cores spike to to 15% every 10 seconds..... (all array disks spun down, no one using it for anything).

nas-diagnostics-20210122-0730.zip 101.77 kB · 0 downloads

I'm not seeing perhaps the same level of increased activity. I do see increased activity on the CPU every 10-15 seconds or so, on dual E5620 v3. I've seen this happen on 6.8.3 as well, both in the form of one core spiking to 100% usage for a second, and then going back down. End result is that overall usage might go from 10 to 15% for a second.

I've never seen this system not do this, so presumably this is normal behavior, but posting diagnostics in case it's not, and it could lead to someone finding something. If whether this is normal behavior or not could be clarified, that would be awesome.

helium-diagnostics-20210122-0114.zip

5 hours ago, sjaak said:

Can't wait for RC3, i want to spindown my disks again...

Just randomly went to server page and on 6.8.3 the drives are spun down like they should be, I am waiting for final release and maybe wait for 6.9.1 to fix the bugs not caught. Screenshot_20210123-082205_Chrome.thumb.jpg.932ecb106df7a982ee22747904144587.jpg

3 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

Just randomly went to server page and on 6.8.3 the drives are spun down like they should be, I am waiting for final release and maybe wait for 6.9.1 to fix the bugs not caught. Screenshot_20210123-082205_Chrome.thumb.jpg.932ecb106df7a982ee22747904144587.jpg

6.8.3 and 6.9 beta35 were fine with spin down. but RC2 it won't. all the settings are unchanged, only with rc2 they wont spin down.

i have seen messages that it will be fixed in rc3...

Had an issue during an overnight mover event (appears to be a writing error). It appears that my Parity drive was disabled somehow. I restarted (twice) the system and the Parity drive did not show up. I shut it down, and then the Parity drive showed up and had to be assigned. Nothing out of the norm was happening before this issue. Currently, the Parity drive is being emulated while the system does a 'Parity disk, parity-sync' - 'Parity sync / Data rebuild'. Uptime was 17 days which is the longest I've been able to have rc2 running for, (The VM with GPU passthrough has not been working for me at all without crashing the host).

Edited by XiuzSu
    1 hour ago, XiuzSu said:

It appears that my Parity drive was disabled somehow

Parity dropped offline, because of that there's no SMART report, but most likely a connection/power issue, replace/swap cables/slot with a different disk to rule that out and see if it happens again.

• Thanks 1
    10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Parity dropped offline, because of that there's no SMART report, but most likely a connection/power issue, replace/swap cables/slot with a different disk to rule that out and see if it happens again.

Just wanted to report back, the drive is back in the array working as normal, healthy. It does look like it was a hardware issue or something.

Anyone else having random freezes? I will lose access to unraid for like a minute every once and a while.  It may just be me, so I am polling the crowd.  I looked over my logs and see nothing out of the ordinary.  Thanks guys!

10 minutes ago, Jclendineng said:

Anyone else having random freezes? I will lose access to unraid for like a minute every once and a while.  It may just be me, so I am polling the crowd.  I looked over my logs and see nothing out of the ordinary.  Thanks guys!

Define what is 'losing access' (GUI, file access)  and what is 'every once and while' (hours, days, weeks, months...).  Also attach a Diagnostics file (as requested) if you want LimeTech to consider your observation.

Edited by Frank1940

To get some GPU integration I upgraded to 6.9rc2 and everything went perfectly fine.  Everything that I've tested has worked as expected save for 10Gbe transfer speeds which have become slower and unpredictable.  I've run iperf3 and found it maxing out at the speeds of my SSD's as it did pre upgrade at 500MBps.  Since the 6.9rc2 upgrade I've found my transfers to be erratic with occasional speeds hitting 350MBps but mostly in the 150-225MBps range.  I've confirmed that directI/O is still enabled and nothing else has changed.  I'm going to turn on jumbo frames for testing but never had them enabled before and was hitting a constant 500MBps without fail (occasional drop when loaded or mover running of course).  Thanks!

Edit:  My 10gbe adapter is an X540-T2

Edited by talmania

Just discovered when I go to the OS Update tool and I try to select 'Stable' branch, it fails to load and it reloads that I am on the current 'next' branch release (6.9-rc2)

Tried a clean browser with no safety blocks and it did the same thing. Last reboot was 5.5 days ago.