• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-rc2 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Hopefully spin-up/down sorted:

• External code (docker containers) using 'smartctl -n standby' should work ok with SATA drives.  This will remain problematic for SAS until/unless smartmontools v7.2 is released with support for '-n standby' with SAS.
    • SMART is unconditionally enabled on devices upon boot.  This solves problem where some newly installed devices may not have SMART enabled.
    • Unassigned devices will get spun-down according to 'Settings/Disk Settings/Default spin down delay'.

Updated to 5.10 Linux kernel (5.10.1).

Updated docker.

Fixed bug joining AD domains.

Version 6.9.0-rc2 2020-12-18 (vs -rc1)

Base distro:

• bind: verison 9.16.8
    • docker: version 19.03.14
    • krb5: version 1.18.2

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.1

Management:

• emhttpd: fix external 'smartctl -n standby' causing device spinup
    • emhttpd: enable SMART on devices upon startup
    • emhttpd: unassigned devices spin-down according to global default
    • emhttpd: restore 'poll_attributes' event callout
    • smb: fixed AD join issue
    • webgui: do not try to display SMART info that causes spin-up for devices that are spun-down
    • webgui: avoid php syntax error if autov() source file does not exist

Edited by limetech

• Like 8
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 1/23/2021 at 5:30 PM, sjaak said:

6.8.3 and 6.9 beta35 were fine with spin down. but RC2 it won't. all the settings are unchanged, only with rc2 they wont spin down.

i have seen messages that it will be fixed in rc3...

I was about to ask about disks not spinning down. 

Built a new server a couple weeks ago after about a year of not using unraid and installed RC2 right away. Everything works great but my SATA disks are not spinning down and I know there's no activity or anything using them. I've read about the problem with SAS drives but nothing related to SATA, is that the issue with RC2 you're mentioning?. 

8 minutes ago, Laucien said:

I was about to ask about disks not spinning down. 

Built a new server a couple weeks ago after about a year of not using unraid and installed RC2 right away. Everything works great but my SATA disks are not spinning down and I know there's no activity or anything using them. I've read about the problem with SAS drives but nothing related to SATA, is that the issue with RC2 you're mentioning?. 

There are some issues will spin downs not just sas. We are awaiting rc3

Yeah i installed RC2 2 days ago and since then zero spindowns ( i am monitoring it with splunk so was an easy spot). All SATA btw.

Apparently fixed in RC3 so we wil wait.  

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

There are some issues will spin downs not just sas. We are awaiting rc3

7 hours ago, glennv said:

Yeah i installed RC2 2 days ago and since then zero spindowns ( i am monitoring it with splunk so was an easy spot). All SATA btw.

Apparently fixed in RC3 so we wil wait.  

Thanks guys!. 

• Like 1

I may have missed the post on this, but how do we install the NVIDIA drivers for use with Plex/Emby?

Or is it automatically installed and enabled when it detects a NVIDIA GPU?

10 hours ago, Laucien said:

Thanks guys!. 

The Kernel part is included - but there is a nvidia-driver plugin that you need to install via "apps".
    That will allow you to download the driver / software package you need. 
    In my case once that was installed all containers that needed GPU started working as before just with newer drivers etc.

9 hours ago, SavellM said:

Or is it automatically installed and enabled when it detects a NVIDIA GPU?

The driver isn't automatically installed because some people want to pass the GPU through to VMs. To install the driver use the Nvidia Driver plugin - just search for it in Community Applications.

5 hours ago, ephigenie said:

The Kernel part is included - but there is a nvidia-driver plugin that you need to install via "apps".
    That will allow you to download the driver / software package you need. 
    In my case once that was installed all containers that needed GPU started working as before just with newer drivers etc.

If built in features REQUIRE CA to enable, it's time that CA came configured by default. Maybe you just have to check a box to use it or something.

when you click on a unassigned device that has a smart error,

the main screen does not expand far enough to show the acknowledge button completely

note;

what you do see is enough to be able to click on it and confirm

gui_issue_acknowledge_missing.PNG

2 hours ago, Nuggetty said:

when you click on a unassigned device that has a smart error,

the main screen does not expand far enough to show the acknowledge button completely

note;

what you do see is enough to be able to click on it and confirm

gui_issue_acknowledge_missing.PNG

This is a known issue, and also affects the dashboard.  

Hello,

Almost 1 year since the release of the last stable version, it's been a long time.

When will we have the privilege of seeing the arrival of v6.9 in stable version?

On 2/6/2021 at 7:22 AM, NY152 said:

Hello,

Almost 1 year since the release of the last stable version, it's been a long time.

When will we have the privilege of seeing the arrival of v6.9 in stable version?

I would like to know as well? I know there has been a lot of testing and that’s good. It would be nice to at least know a ballpark that’s all. 

16 hours ago, Tucubanito07 said:

I would like to know as well? I know there has been a lot of testing and that’s good. It would be nice to at least know a ballpark that’s all. 

I am worried, the slow progress makes me nervously. It is common knowledge that stagnation means decline.

1 minute ago, Richard Aarnink said:

slow progress makes me nervously

You must not have been paying attention to the forums for long. The progress has been fast and furious compared to what it was in pre-V6 days.

• Haha 1

I am fairly new to the unRAID space (started at v6.8.3) and was an adopter of v6.9-beta25.

I don’t think it is at all stagnant, in fact for most bugs you find, their is community support to help you resolve the issue pretty timely.

LimeTech is doing a great job and still very much a front runner in terms of stability and features.

The question I have is “Is there a feature you’re missing that emerges in 6.9 or do you feel like the project is suddenly going to collapse?”

I’ve been running 6.9-rc2 on two servers for many weeks now and they hum right along without giving me fits in the slightest.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

You must not have been paying attention to the forums for long.

The traditional answer on the forum for these types of questions is

Soon™

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

The traditional answer on the forum for these types of questions is

Soon™

" Soon™ " is a relative definition. When you consider that the unraid's based distro is slackware 14.2 which was released in 2016. 

Slackware 15 will be released Soon™ 😆

I have issues on RC2 with a Windows 10 VM too. It runs slow comparred to 6.8.3. I se quite often System Interrupts in task manager and I don't remember seeing it before.

31 minutes ago, Tulip said:

I believe this might be a bug? 65535MHz :D

image.png.02675197f22913b648a24a79502c94d7.png 

Overclocking is not recommended for servers such as Unraid. :D 

You should validate this though, you'll get first place on some boards. ;) 

• Haha 1

Just to add to the disks not spinning down issue. I had an unassigned thumb drive hooked to my server and the syslog was throwing "emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sde" notices every 15min. I unmounted the drive yesterday, however, to my surprise, syslog is still filing with "emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sde" every 15min.

Anyone experiencing the same?

12 minutes ago, Ver7o said:

Just to add to the disks not spinning down issue. I had an unassigned thumb drive hooked to my server and the syslog was throwing "emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sde" notices every 15min. I unmounted the drive yesterday, however, to my surprise, syslog is still filing with "emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sde" every 15min.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Does the device still show on the dashboard or UD? Process changed that UD informs Unraid to refresh Unassigned Devices, sounds like that may not of happened.