• Update atlantic/aquantia lan drivers to 6.1.13 +

jbartlett
    • Closed Minor

My onboard & PCIe Aquantia Corp 10G NICs with the Atlantic driver experience occasional network drops with versions prior to 6.1.13 due to a possible memory leak/bug/something. Ref: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1499321   (meat is a little past half way down). Fix seems to be included in the "in-tree aquantia driver"

root@VM1:~# ethtool -i eth0
    driver: atlantic
    version: 5.3.8-Unraid-kern
    firmware-version: 1.5.44
    Nov 12 01:42:57 VM1 kernel: atlantic: link change old 10000 new 0
    Nov 12 01:42:57 VM1 kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entered disabled state
    Nov 12 01:43:11 VM1 kernel: atlantic: link change old 0 new 10000
    Nov 12 01:43:11 VM1 kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entered blocking state
    Nov 12 01:43:11 VM1 kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

vm1-diagnostics-20191116-2049.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That's a pretty old report and you're running "5.3.8-Unraid-kern" which I don't know that that is.

What exactly do you want us to do?

22 hours ago, limetech said:

That's a pretty old report and you're running "5.3.8-Unraid-kern" which I don't know that that is.

What exactly do you want us to do?

I'm not loading anything for the lan card, whatever driver is used/picked is being decided by the unraid OS. I don't know if the version or firmware version represents the driver version but if I had to choose, it's 1.5.44. It's my understanding that the bundled driver is an older version which seems to be the same with other linux distributions and the old version has network drops.

My goal for this is to have the driver updated to a version equal or greater than 1.6.13 so I can use my 10gig lan card without network drops. I plan to use Unraid as a VM host to have 4-6 Windows 10 VM's each pushing NDI video streams to other PCs and to YouTube for my Foster Kitten Cam so connection breaks is a deal breaker. The MB has a 1G nic that I could use but I'd rather use the 10G one.

I had better Google Foo on my phone right now than I did on my PC  and found what looks to be the source. Stuff I found yesterday had beta all over it.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/net/ethernet/aquantia

Edited by jbartlett

The "-kern" in "5.3.8-Unraid-kern" is appended onto the driver version by the driver itself (ver.h) so the driver in use is "5.3.8-Unraid".

I see tags for 5.3 with RC's up to 5.3-RC8. There's a 5.4 RC branch but no 5.4 release yet. I guess I need to look into how to update the firmware on the card itself if possible.

Marking this as closed as it seems I have a firmware error in the NIC itself vs driver issue.

3 hours ago, navilov said:

To incorporate this driver as a module, pick M here: the module will be called ipvlan.

Is there a link missing or a post to more information? There's not much to go on here.

Adding for posterity that RC8 also updated the Aquantia 10G drivers (which is a good thing). Probably from the downgrade of the kernel. I don't have the network dropping out issues any longer.

RC7
    version: 5.3.8-Unraid-kern

RC8
    version: 2.0.3.0-kern
    firmware-version: 3.1.44

Came across this thread through Google, because I have exactly the same problem with an XG-C100C 10G card in a Debian 10 machine. So this doesn't seem directly related to Unraid.

# ethtool -i ens5
    version: 2.0.3.0-kern
    expansion-rom-version:
    bus-info: 0000:0d:00.0
    supports-statistics: yes
    supports-test: no
    supports-eeprom-access: no
    supports-register-dump: yes
    supports-priv-flags: no

# uname -a
    Linux afnet 4.19.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.98-1+deb10u1 (2020-04-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

If someone found the source problem and a solution, it would be great...

Just a generel thing, i thinkthe  problem is that the AQUANTIC chips get too hot, try to blowair at them and see if it fixes it. For my onboard it help (without it wont even sync in 10gbit) (thats literally how its sold, ripoff if you ask me)

I have the same problem. At best link is reported as 5G but that changes sometimes to 2.5G and I've got some heavy link dropouts. I've got two other Aquantia NIC in Windows machines (onboard NIC) and I've got issues with all of them. I'm switching to Intel NIC for all my machines. High temperature as well as poor driver might explain this behaviour.

I have received my Intel X540-T1 and did some testing. The Intel NIC was surprisingly recognized as 1GbE by unRAID, transfer was stable. With the same cable, the Aquantia was recognized as 5GbE, transfer was not stable with frequent loss of connection. Ends up the cable was the problem even though it should handle 10GbE speed (cat6 15m, might be damaged). With another cable, both NIC were recognized as 10GbE. With the Intel NIC, I got max 3GbE stable speed. With the Aquantia, I got 10GbE stable speed (so far). Both were tested with 9000 MTU. I will now use the Aquantia and see how it behaves, especially regarding stability. I'm not sure how temperature might affect the NIC performance now that the unRAID case has been closed and put back where it belongs. But it seems like the Aquantia is a better NIC with unRAID in my network configuration (unexpected result). The X540 chipset being a rather old chipset, I'm not sure if it is expected to do full 10GbE speed in all scenarios.

That does not solve the issues I had in the past with onboard Aquantia NIC with my Windows machine (frequent loss of connection). If that happens again, I'll test the Intel NIC in one my Windows machines. I will probably rewire everything with better cables when I found the courage.

Conclusion: hope is not lost for those of us with Aquantia NIC (at least with Linux machines).