• [V6.12.0-rc2] array disks no longer stay spun down after i used "new config" setting

I Enjoy Creating Videos
    • Closed Minor

How to reproduce: just have some hard drives in the array and some unassigned device hard drives and then just set the spin down after 15mins and in 15 mins it will spindown and then wake backup after less then a min.

Expected results: when i set the spin down drives for 15mins they should spin down in 15mins and stay spun down until i use the drive.

Actual results: when i set the spin down feature to 15mins it waits 15 mins then it spins down everything in the "array" and the "unassigned devices" and my one SSD "cache" drive and the 5 hard drives in the raidz1 zfs pool, but after a few moments the "array" and the "unassigned devices" will all spinup again and start running but the one SSD in the "Cache pool" will stay asleep like normal and also the 5 disk "raidz1 zfs pool" will also stay asleep like normal so all the pools seem to be working like they should with the spindown it's just the "array" and anything in the "Unassigned Devices" that are not staying asleep.

Thanks to everyone that has been working hard on unraid to make it better with all the new features :)

Thank you for your time. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi ChatNoir! 

yes no problem i am running V6.12.0-rc1 

i was running V6.11.5 and everything worked fine then i upgraded to V6.12.0-rc1 so i could play around with zfs pools so i made a zfs pool out of 5 hard drives and copied some files over to it, but later on i noticed the hard drives where spinning down and then i could hear them spin backup moments after again so after looking in to it a little more that was when i found that the array disks and the unassigned device disk was the ones spinning back up they should not be nothing is connected to the unassigned device disk it is just a disk sitting there and the other array disks should be sitting with no activity as well but something is waking them up when they first wake i see some small reads on all the disks one at a time then they don't show any activity again. i'm wondering if unraid is sending some check disk commend or something that is waking them up again.

i included the dignostics 

sapphire-diagnostics-20230318-0255.zip

Update i been testing some more and i tuke the "unassigned device" disk and made a 1 disk pool with it and now that it is in the "pool device" area it will now spin down and stay spined down, i also updated to V6.12.0-rc2 and it still does the same thing.

so i found that any hard disks or ssds that i put in the "pool devices" section they will all spin down and stay spined down.   but any disks that are put in the "Array device" section will spin down then wake backup every 50 to 55 seconds same goes for any disk in the "unassigned device" section as well'

if i watch the array disks i will see them do a read check on all 4 drives at the same time every 50 to 55 seconds the amount it reads is 16.4kb so i think unraid is doing a smart read or checking them for some reason 

Edited by I Enjoy Creating Videos

no i don't use anything like that'

everything worked fine until i upgraded from V6.11.5 to V6.12.0-rc1 then this issue started i also upgraded to V6.12.0-rc2 and it still has same problem so i guess they changed something in the new version hopeful they will find it and fix it soon.

Thanks to everyone that is working hard on it i appreciate it' Have a great weekend!

UPDATE:

this is what i did to make it happen i upgraded from V6.11.5 to V6.12.0-rc2 and the array started up fine then i stopped the "array" and i went to "Tools" and clicked on "New Config" and set it to preserve "ALL" settings then clicked "Apply" and then i went back to the "Main" page and started the Array and after that i clicked to spin down the array drives and they spin down and then wake back up again when i watch closely i see that the disks get small reads 16.4kb for about one second then it does nothing till about 50 to 55 seconds then it does it again over and over every 50 to 55 seconds i have no i idea why resetting the "new config" would have broke and causing small reads to the disks seems odd to me but i have tried it many times i can re produce it i have also tried running it in "Safe mode" and also in "maintenance mode" 
    and nothing seems to work to stop it from reading i have to down grade unraid back to V6.11.5 and then it stops so then i can upgrade again to V6.12.0-rc2 then it works again as long as i don't run the "New config" other wise it comes back again let me know if anyone tests it and finds the same bug Thank you all for looking at the post

Have a wonderful day :) 

sapphire-diagnostics-20230322-0344.zip

I can confirm I have this same problem. Any workaround other than going back to 6.11.5 to fix it? I have some zfs pools and I can't go back.

1 hour ago, Octalbush said:

I can confirm I have this same problem. Any workaround other than going back to 6.11.5 to fix it? I have some zfs pools and I can't go back.

As far as i know there are no work arounds for this bug, but i have reported it to unraid tech and they where able to reproduce it in one of there servers so it was sent down the line to be fixed hopefully in V6.12.0-rc3 or rc4 we will have to wait and see. 

24 minutes ago, I Enjoy Creating Videos said:

As far as i know there are no work arounds for this bug, but i have reported it to unraid tech and they where able to reproduce it in one of there servers so it was sent down the line to be fixed hopefully in V6.12.0-rc3 or rc4 we will have to wait and see. 

Glad to hear it has received official recognition. I will wait for the next rc and see if it fixes it. Hopefully it does, my server uses something like 300w more power than normal when drives can't spin down (I have a lot of drives).

15 minutes ago, Octalbush said:

Glad to hear it has received official recognition. I will wait for the next rc and see if it fixes it. Hopefully it does, my server uses something like 300w more power than normal when drives can't spin down (I have a lot of drives).

Yeah i understand' i'm looking forward to this being fixed as well

Have a wonderful week!😎

5 hours ago, Octalbush said:

I have some zfs pools and I can't go back.

You can still go back, the zfs pool(s) won't mount but if the spin down issue is resolved you can then upgrade back to v6.12, just don't do another new config after.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can still go back, the zfs pool(s) won't mount but if the spin down issue is resolved you can then upgrade back to v6.12, just don't do another new config after.

My issue with this is that my server was rebuilt from scratch on 6.12, including the USB, so I have no way of rolling back to 6.11 without making a new USB, reactivating the license, and then recreating all of my config from scratch because as far as I know I can’t export and import my docker config or my vm configs from 6.12 to 6.11.

7 minutes ago, Octalbush said:

so I have no way of rolling back to 6.11 without making a new USB

You can just download the v6.11.5 zip and extract all the bz* files overwriting existing ones, this should be done on a different PC, i.e., the server should not be running.

The instructions here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page will work, although as was mentioned with 6.12 it needs to be done on another machine.

If you want to do it all through the unraid server and a running vm of windows on it here is another way you could go about it to restore back to V6.11.5 from V6.12.0-rc2  

if you do not have a previous version of unraid then just go to the web site 
    https://unraid.net/download
    and download the unriad V6.11.5 then open the zip files you should see three folders you don't need those for this prosses but make sure you copy all the files that are named down below
    bzfirmware
    bzfirmware.sha256
    bzimage
    bzimage.sha256
    bzmodeules
    bzmodules.sha256
    bzroot
    bzroot.sha256
    bzroot-gui
    bzroot-gui.sha256
    changes.txt
    license.txt
    make_bootable.bat
    make_bootable_linux
    make_bootable_mac
    memtest

and then go to your unraid flash drive and open it and create a folder called "previous" and then copy all the files that i listed to the folder then reboot the server then when your back in the GUI click on the tab "tools" then click "update OS" you should now have a button that says "RESTORE" now click that and let it do its thing and then reboot when it asks you to and if all goes well you should now be on V6.11.5 

hope this helps you or anyone else that needs it :)

JP

13 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Do you have spin down issue still on rc3

I have been testing it today and so far everything seems to be working normally

the array is spinning down and staying spun down and also unassigned  devices is to so i believe it has been fixed 

1 hour ago, I Enjoy Creating Videos said:

the array is spinning down and staying spun down and also unassigned  devices is to so i believe it has been fixed 

Even after a new config? I believe nothing was done specifically to fix this, but it might have "magically" disappeared the same way it appeared.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Even after a new config? I believe nothing was done specifically to fix this, but it might have "magically" disappeared the same way it appeared.

yes it seems to be working fine even after new config' 

i had talked to a tech person at unraid and they tested it on many servers and only found one that it could be replicated on so they said they would pass it along internally so i figured in rc3 or rc4 it should be fixed and then i tested when rc3 came out and everything seems to be working fine now

i'm just glad it's fixed :)