• VFIO Id's change with new kernel?

itimpi
    • Closed

This is not really a bug report per se but a questions as to whether the VFIO Id's can change with the new kernel?   If so something prominent needs to be added to the Release Notes warning anyone who runs VMs with passed through devices to check them.

This also raises one of my pet peeves :)   I really think that any time anyone tries to upgrade the OS a dialog should be popped up displaying the Release Notes and the user has to press an Apply button (or equivalent) for the upgrade to go ahead.   At the moment I am sure many users do not even attempt to read the Release Notes so putting them in front of them may help reduce the number of forums reports on issues that are addressed in the Release Notes.  I also think it is general good practice.  I would attempt to submit a PR to implement this if I knew where to find the code for the plugin that handles the OS upgrades.

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I really think that any time anyone tries to upgrade the OS a dialog should be popped up 

There is a "ALERT" system in place since Unraid version 6.11, which allows to display any warning or other information before upgrading. The user has to explicitly acknowledge this message before proceeding.

None of the Unraid releases have yet make use of this system.

Ps. This ALERT system can also be used for plugins.

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

There is a "ALERT" system in place since Unraid version 6.11, which allows to display any warning or other information before upgrading. The user has to explicitly acknowledge this message before proceeding.

None of the Unraid releases have yet make use of this system.

Ps. This ALERT system can also be used for plugins.

I know about the alert system - I make use of this.

I still think displaying the release notes before allowing the OS upgrade to proceed is a good idea?   I think this is more than the Alert system can provide?

You can put any message in the ALERT window.

Below an example of what is displayed when the user clicks the "Update" button and is presented before proceeding with the actual update.

image.png

OK - I guess I never really looked at this feature in enough detail.

It would be nice of Unraid could somehow insert the text of the Release notes into the dialog following that preamble to avoid the user having to look elsewhere (or is this already planned).

• Thanks 1

I don't think showing the complete release notes upfront will bring anything.

It is like these disclaimer notices, people just click 'accept' and continue.

13 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I don't think showing the complete release notes upfront will bring anything.

It is like these disclaimer notices, people just click 'accept' and continue.

I guess we disagree on this.  I think that users would at least read the initial stages of the release notes although they would probably not read the later sections on detailed fixes or package updates.

I wonder if it worth running a poll on this to see what other people think would happen?

• Thanks 1

The reason I introduced the ALERT system is to give a short overview of the important points to note.

Keeping this short will likely catch the attention of the user before proceeding.

With this system there is no need to show the full release notes upfront, at least that is the intention.

I see where you are coming from, but I was assuming that only the top part of the Release Notes would initially be visible in the dialog box?  My concern would be that the moment anyone has to click elsewhere to get more detail that they need then they are less likely to do it, but I guess the alert could contain the link to them?

I did not get an Alert when I installed 6.12 rc1 - should I have?  This would at least have given a feel for how it might work.

BTW:  Any idea about the other part - whether vfio ids change with the new kernel.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

whether vfio ids change with the new kernel.

Looks like they can change with AMD hardware, not sure about Intel.