• vm crash at regular time

qlin1806
    • Solved Annoyance

I use my vm as my main PC. Starting I think about a week ago, it started to crash at night when it is not in use. I didn't notice at first so I assumed it shutdown for some reason, but I happen to be up today and catch the crash as it happen. 

From the log I could not see what would be the cause that invoked the oom-killer on qemu. The vm was only assigned little more than %60 of the memory. In both instances of today and yesterday, it happened around 3:10 AM or so. I don't think I have anything scheduled during that time. And I can't remember what I might have done two weeks ago that started all this. 

I have attached the diagnostics below.

unquentin-diagnostics-20210207-0322.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Is it just the VM crashing or unraid as well and do you pass through gfx card?

I had issues related to qemu with my VM's crashing vm as well as unraid solution was change machine type to older one.

Edited by turnipisum

unraid host is fine, just the VM. And yes, I have one of the gfx card passthrough. May I ask what do you mean my changing the machine type to old one? I am currently using the i440fx-5.0, but I haven't touch that setting in a while. what version solved your problem? 

It was after upgrade to 6.9.0 rc2 when i got issues changed from machine type 5.1 to 4.2 but sounds like other issue with yours.

Have you tried recreating the VM, as that often sorts some issues.

Ok, I will try 4.2 if that doesn't fix it I will recreate the vm again. Also, the vm just crash after a fresh reboot again. 

I have a feeling it might be the plex docker. I had htop on another computer and was noticing the mem usage creeping. I will try disabling it or just leave it running for a bit without VM and see.... Thank!

asdjdsj.... this is going to take so much time......

Just an update...

After two days of trying different things. I still could not identify the reason causing the Plex docker memory usage to blow up at such specific time. But I think it is plex causing the crash... Maybe too early to tell, but I’ve disabled it for the past day and nothing has happed yet. 

so I guess next step is to see if I can find way to limit plex’s memory usage...

Thx everyone!