• Windows 10 VM Issues with Navi

cobhc
    • Closed Minor

Hi all,

Fitted a 5700XT in place of a 980ti on Friday and all was fine using my existing VM on 6.8.0rc6 but I decided to reinstall the VM due to the new GPU and a few other things I wanted to sort out. As part of this I also upgraded to rc7 but I've just tried rolling back to rc6 and it still appears to be the same.

I'm now having issues where I can't restart the VM from Windows or else it shuts down and then just stays on a black screen and then I have to restart the server due to the Navi reset bug. I can't shut down the VM from Windows as then I get the Navi reset bug and as a result of this any Windows updates seem to get stuck in a loop at 100% upon starting the VM again.

The card is secondary as such due to the iGPU on my 6700k which I use GUI mode with. I've tried both with and without a vbios (both my own rip and from TechPowerUp and using a vbios seems to make my TV/receiver freak out and either display nothing or else take numerous minutes before displaying anything and still suffers the same fate.

I've also tried a few older Q35 versions and nothing seems to help (using Q35 or else AMD drivers won't install).

I don't know how tied to the Navi reset bug all this is but it seems strange it was fine on a previously working VM (barring the main issues reported with these cards and VM's).

Any ideas would be appreciated, I didn't think I'd have this many issues with this card.

tower-diagnostics-20191124-1947.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

No, and I should have tried that first but I've gone back to rc5 with @Leoyzen's kernel and it's working how I would expect. I will try and make some time to revert back to stable to see if just the known reset bug appears without the issues I've been having and hopefully the reset bug can be fixed for good eventually.

Edited by cobhc
    6 minutes ago, cobhc said:

hopefully the reset bug can be fixed for good

AMD would have to do that, obviously there's a reason they don't.

17 minutes ago, limetech said:

AMD would have to do that, obviously there's a reason they don't.

Maybe so, Wendell from Level1Techs seemed to have information that AMD were looking into a firmware update for it.

https://level1techs.com/video/radeon-5700-xt-vfio-reset-bug-fixed

9 minutes ago, BRiT said:

The subject line of this report is too vague, as it doesnt mention AMD Navi GPU at all, which is the real issue.

A note for others, in the future please be more specific in subject lines of reports.

Amended, apologies.