• Windows 10 VM with Passthrough RX480 Full System Lockup

Interstellar
    • Annoyance

Note: This isn't a bug-report per-say, more a thread looking for potential fixes.

I've been struggling with this for a while and any 'solutions' I've found on the forums thus far have not been successful.

Background:

I've been passing through an RX480 without a dongle (i.e. with VNC enabled) absolutely fine for months (up-time of 40+ days at one point), however now as I want to use it as a remote Windows workstation I've tweaked it to make Parsec work properly (4K HDMI Dongle + Parsec).

However in that configuration it totally locks up the machine with zero information displayed in the log or on the IPMI KVM view screen (Its a total and immediate lockup... which is useful).

In addition any attempt to close a Remote Desktop session also results in the machine totally locking up, a reboot is the only solution. The notes for changing the WDDM thing hasn't made a difference (in any case an update KB is installed that allegedly fixes it).

I have the AMD reset plugin installed and I'm running 6.10-rc2 and rc1 prior to that.

Two cores + HT isolated (2,3, 6, 7) assigned to the VM, along with 6144MB RAM.

Q35-6.1 (i440fx never seems to work for me, gets stuck at the boot screen or Windows stops responding)

OVFM TPM

USB Controller (3 qemu XHCI)

Windows 10 21H2 - totally 100% up-to-date, latest AMD drivers, latest VirtIO drivers, etc...

I've now taken the dongle out and added the VNC server back in and I'll test across the next two weeks (Parsec also disabled).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing UnRAID (or Windows to cause UnRAID) to completely lock up either by closing a Remote Desktop connection or randomly at some point in time when there is no VNC enabled?

If it wasn't for the fact GPU prices are insane at the moment I'd pick something up newer, but alas we are where we are.

I'll post the diagnostics plus information on other server configs when I have more time, but for now if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to let me know and I'll try them!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Also now tried assigning more/less memory to the VM, changing vm.dirty_ratio and background ratio - no change. Crash within an hour.

Memtest86+ passed and in any case it is ECC memory.

Back to VNC without a HDMI plug - no issues 3 hours later...

Again nothing in syslog saved to flash, nothing on a SSH syslog "watch 0.1 tail /var/log/syslog" nor on the IPMI view, a total machine lockup.

cmdline.txt btrfs-usage.txt plugins.txt motherboard.txt iommu_groups.txt ethtool.txt folders.txt lsmod.txt lsscsi.txt loads.txt memory.txt lspci.txt meminfo.txt lsusb.txt urls.txt top.txt ps.txt vars.txt lscpu.txt df.txt ifconfig.txt Windows 10 Gaming.txt

Windows 10 Gaming.xml

Edited by Interstellar

Running with the VNC option as GPU #1 has been perfect. No lockup.

Anyone any ideas?

Going to plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor in directly and play around next.