• Windows 11 VM freezes after several minutes idle [ 6.10.0-rc2 ]

xxsxx47
    • Annoyance

Hi guys I update to 6.10.0-rc2 recently created a Windows 11 VM with GPU passthrough but after 5 or 10 minutes the vm freezes and the background is stuk  the only to fix is to restart from the unraid gui and restert the vm.

i followd spaceinvider too turn off sleep & hibernate and put to high power to high performance but it didnt help it all.

some info that might help :

- PCIe ACS override is disabled

- uploaded some pic for the vm and server space

- a post from reddit with same problem link

- vm logs

Spoiler

-rtc base=localtime \
    -no-hpet \
    -no-shutdown \
    -boot strict=on \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x9,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x1 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xb,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x3 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xc,chassis=5,id=pci.5,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x4 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xd,chassis=6,id=pci.6,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x5 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xe,chassis=7,id=pci.7,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x6 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xf,chassis=8,id=pci.8,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x7 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=9,id=pci.9,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2 \
    -device qemu-xhci,p2=15,p3=15,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7 \
    -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
    -blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_250GB_S4P3NF0M406700D/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
    -blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
    -device virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=virtio-disk2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
    -blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/disks/INTEL_SSDPEKNW010T8_BTNH938428UY1P0B/Windows 10 - Next/vdisk2.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
    -blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
    -device virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=virtio-disk3,write-cache=on \
    -netdev tap,fd=36,id=hostnet0 \
    -device virtio-net,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:a7:d9:03,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
    -chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
    -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
    -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=37,server=on,wait=off \
    -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
    -tpmdev emulator,id=tpm-tpm0,chardev=chrtpm \
    -chardev 'socket,id=chrtpm,path=/run/libvirt/qemu/swtpm/1-Windows 11-3-swtpm.sock' \
    -device tpm-tis,tpmdev=tpm-tpm0,id=tpm0 \
    -audiodev id=audio1,driver=none \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0b:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.5,addr=0x0,romfile=mnt/user/isos/Bios/2070.dump \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0b:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.6,addr=0x0 \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:05:00.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.7,addr=0x0 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/003/006,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/003/005,id=hostdev4,bus=usb.0,port=2 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/006/002,id=hostdev5,bus=usb.0,port=3 \
    -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
    -msg timestamp=on
    char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

hope there any fix for it.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 191851.png

Screenshot 2021-11-30 192411.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 3/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, JackSafari said:

I was going to write an AutoHotKey to move the mouse one pixel every few minutes when the system was idle, but have not got around to it. Not that important; I just went back to using my Windows 10 vm. I have a valid Windows 11 retail license bought $$$$  through egghead, and I don't want it become invalidated because of vm problems.

you could use mouse jiggler tool, basically it moves the mouse around. which I used when I needed to leave a collage computer running overnight, and it would auto log out after a set amount of inactive use.

https://github.com/arkane-systems/mousejiggler

• Like 2
    On 4/17/2022 at 2:01 PM, Goldmaster said:

you could use mouse jiggler tool, basically it moves the mouse around. which I used when I needed to leave a collage computer running overnight, and it would auto log out after a set amount of inactive use.

https://github.com/arkane-systems/mousejiggler

I was using this for a while on the Windows 11 Beta but had to do a complete wipe because MS passed some update that completely broke my system. Either that or the OS didn't like my RAM upgrade which is unlikely. In any case I had to wipe. Back on Stable

On 5/1/2022 at 6:18 AM, lordfiSh said:

with 6.10.0-rc5 this seems to be fixed

Been on Windows stable build for less than a week and can confirm this as well. Hyper-V is installed and running. Will update further if anything happens

Edited by kftX
    • Like 1

I also can confirm that it is no longer a problem for me after using the last couple of RC builds. No more lockup.

For technical enlightenment, anyone have some insight as to what changes fixed the problem?

Well, after updating to 6.10 stable, my vm doesn't even start. Just pauses and then get a error when trying to resume. I thought this was a stable update? Unless I need to change something?

I'm still on rc5 atm as I'm waiting for more reports of things being okay till I pull the trigger. I very much enjoy Hyper.-V working this well.

Edited by kftX