• Windows 11 VM freezes after several minutes idle [ 6.10.0-rc2 ]

xxsxx47
    • Annoyance

Hi guys I update to 6.10.0-rc2 recently created a Windows 11 VM with GPU passthrough but after 5 or 10 minutes the vm freezes and the background is stuk  the only to fix is to restart from the unraid gui and restert the vm.

i followd spaceinvider too turn off sleep & hibernate and put to high power to high performance but it didnt help it all.

some info that might help :

- PCIe ACS override is disabled

- uploaded some pic for the vm and server space

- a post from reddit with same problem link

- vm logs

Spoiler

-rtc base=localtime \
    -no-hpet \
    -no-shutdown \
    -boot strict=on \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x9,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x1 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xb,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x3 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xc,chassis=5,id=pci.5,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x4 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xd,chassis=6,id=pci.6,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x5 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xe,chassis=7,id=pci.7,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x6 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0xf,chassis=8,id=pci.8,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x7 \
    -device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=9,id=pci.9,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2 \
    -device qemu-xhci,p2=15,p3=15,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7 \
    -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
    -blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_250GB_S4P3NF0M406700D/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
    -blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
    -device virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=virtio-disk2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
    -blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/disks/INTEL_SSDPEKNW010T8_BTNH938428UY1P0B/Windows 10 - Next/vdisk2.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
    -blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
    -device virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=virtio-disk3,write-cache=on \
    -netdev tap,fd=36,id=hostnet0 \
    -device virtio-net,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:a7:d9:03,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
    -chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
    -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
    -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=37,server=on,wait=off \
    -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
    -tpmdev emulator,id=tpm-tpm0,chardev=chrtpm \
    -chardev 'socket,id=chrtpm,path=/run/libvirt/qemu/swtpm/1-Windows 11-3-swtpm.sock' \
    -device tpm-tis,tpmdev=tpm-tpm0,id=tpm0 \
    -audiodev id=audio1,driver=none \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0b:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.5,addr=0x0,romfile=mnt/user/isos/Bios/2070.dump \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:0b:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.6,addr=0x0 \
    -device vfio-pci,host=0000:05:00.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.7,addr=0x0 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/003/006,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/003/005,id=hostdev4,bus=usb.0,port=2 \
    -device usb-host,hostdevice=/dev/bus/usb/006/002,id=hostdev5,bus=usb.0,port=3 \
    -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
    -msg timestamp=on
    char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

hope there any fix for it.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 191851.png

Screenshot 2021-11-30 192411.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It sounds stupid. But I have also nearly a same Unraid Server with your mentioned hardware. I switched from Q35 to i440fx. Now everything works for me smoothly. I dont know why. But after 6.9.2 I needed to switch to i440fx...

19 hours ago, RiDDiX said:

It sounds stupid. But I have also nearly a same Unraid Server with your mentioned hardware. I switched from Q35 to i440fx. Now everything works for me smoothly. I dont know why. But after 6.9.2 I needed to switch to i440fx...

Changed from Q35 to i440fx but didn't help 😕 and turned off cstate and power idle options in bios still nothing, 

Hope there is a fix for it.

same issue for me. there seems to be a theory that its on specific windows build (im on 22000.348) and supposedly insider preview build fixes the issue

i'm on the same build too hope the new update will fix for us.

found somthing about downloading the latest chipset driver for X570 fix for him in this reddit but cant download it becasue we are on a vm.

there is somone with windows build 22509 fixd the problem for him , it may look like it's an windows problem.

image.thumb.png.c18686d6fc92b6eec3edab151bc62e59.png

Edited by xxsxx47

befor it takes like 5 min and freeze now i passed 1 hour without freezing.

So guys looks like the issue got fiexd for me after entering the the windows insider program and updating the windows to build (22518.1000).

On 12/11/2021 at 10:27 PM, xxsxx47 said:

befor it takes like 5 min and freeze now i passed 1 hour without freezing.

So guys looks like the issue got fiexd for me after entering the the windows insider program and updating the windows to build (22518.1000).

Hm maybe this will be a try worth. But I am aware of not being able to reduce "my" feedbacks to microsoft xD

Hopping in here with a similar problem. 

Unraid Plus

Ryzen 3700x

x570x gaming MB

32GB

Win 11 VM- 16GB, 4 cores/8 threads.

Currently has an nvidia GTX 1050, used to have an AMD 7850. 

I do have PCI ACS override enabled for IOMMU separation (annoying, necessary)

Reproducible problem:

If the system is in active use, it runs flawlessly, no timelimit.
    If the nobody is using it, it will freeze after 10 minutes with all cores/threads pinned to 100% (as per unraid dashboard).

I've disabled all power management, disabled screen savers, removed hardware (I thought maybe bluetooth mouse was sleeping/causing a problem). 

Windows logs showed Radeon software failing repeatedly, so I was optimistic that was the problem. uninstalled, and persists. 

Freezing with version 22000.376.0 

I'll try the suggestion to join the insider and will report back. 

Edit: forgot to add that this VM can also run as bare-metal and the issue is not present in that state.

Edited by mintaffitin
    • Thanks 1

Okay so I had the same problem. 5 mins exactly and the windows 11 VM hangs. 

I turned off Virtual Machine Platform in Windows Features. And after a restart it was fixed! :D

No problems with WSL at all. Do not use Hyper V or Virtual Machine Platform.

EDIT:

Yeah nvm. Pro tip. Just do not touch HyperV or anything other then WSL2. Cuz it will keep on hanging. It just took longer before it happened. I'm gonna reinstall my windows 11 machine and also put up a windows 10 machine purely for dev stuff. 

Before I deffo had the WSL working without problems in windows 11. But With a new installation I tried out HyperV and then everything went to shizzle.

Edited by Jamezs

Seems to be solved for me with Insider dev upgrade from 22000.434 to 22533.1001

Edited by nnoel
    typo

I had the same issue. I've upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 after I've upgraded to unraid 6.10.0-rc2.

I have just removed the `Virtual Machine Platform` and disabled HyperV in the VM settings in unraid. I don't have HyperV installed in Windows.

Before it used a 100% CPU and was non responsive either locally or via remote in a window of about 10 minutes every time it was left unattended. It's been running for at least 20 minutes now and the issue seems to be resolved.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, nnoel said:

Seems to be solved for me with Insider dev upgrade from 22000.434 to 22533.1001

I also had to disable my AV malwarebyte 4.5.1.151 to stop continuously reboots after 20-30 min idle time

Edited by nnoel
    typo
    On 1/18/2022 at 4:27 PM, khartahk said:

I had the same issue. I've upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 after I've upgraded to unraid 6.10.0-rc2.

I have just removed the `Virtual Machine Platform` and disabled HyperV in the VM settings in unraid. I don't have HyperV installed in Windows.

Before it used a 100% CPU and was non responsive either locally or via remote in a window of about 10 minutes every time it was left unattended. It's been running for at least 20 minutes now and the issue seems to be resolved.

Thought I should say I've also tried this - removed Virtual Machine Platform, and disabled the HyperV setting in Unraid - but it didn't help.

But despite uninstalling Virtual Machine Platform, WSL2 still works, so I guess it's still using HyperV in some capacity?

* Unraid 6.10.0-rc2

* Windows 11 [10.0.22000.438]

* AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core @ 3700 MHz

* 256 GiB DDR4

* GPU Passthrough: NVIDIA RTX 3090

On 1/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, e00 said:

But despite uninstalling Virtual Machine Platform, WSL2 still works, so I guess it's still using HyperV in some capacity?

WSL2 does not work for my anymore. Did you re-create the VM in Unraid and use the same disk file? That was the only way I could disable HyperV in Unraid settings.

Tried the insider build, it makes no real difference. Windows still crashes, albeit differently. It will BSOD with the issue "HYPERVISOR_ERROR". 

I am having the same issues.

As soon as the "Virtual Machine Platform" is installed, windows will hang after 5 or so minutes...  No, BSOD for me though.

I am running the latest Windows 11 insider build.

I am having the same freezing issue with Unraid 6.10.0-rc2. Everything works until the Win 11 VM is left to idle for about 5 minutes. All CPUs jump to 100%. Only solution is to issue a "Force Stop" from the Unraid Web UI. 

Power Settings: It does not appear to be related to Windows's Power settings. I set mine so that nothing is powered downed, such as drives, monitor, etc.

Logon Screen:  System will lockup without a user logged on. As simple test, I booted Win 11 and left it at the logon screen, and the system froze after about 5 minutes.

Activation: I have not activated mine VM yet. I am always leery about not having a validated system. I worked at MS for several years, and know that bugs that are specific to unlicensed systems are considered low priority bugs.

Unraid Stop, Pause, Restart, Force Stop: Stop\Restart have no effect, but I was able to pause\unpause the VM. When pausing, the CPUs (all at 100%) drop to zero. Unpausing the VM causes the CPUs to jump back to 100%.

As a hack, I am going to investigate running a AutoHotKey script that will detect when there has been no mouse\keyboard activity for 2 minutes, and have the script move the mouse one pixel, and return back. 

EDIT: I am going to see if turning off HyperV will make a difference.

From an Admin powershell: "dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V-All"

Edited by JackSafari

I'm having the same issue. Windows 11 VM, running WSL2 and Docker Desktop. CPU cores go to max, VM locks up. Have to force stop the VM to get it to work again. 

Sadly this still happens in 6.10.0-rc3. 

Windows without WSL is just not usable for me. 

A stupid workaround is to have a Game run in the Background

• Like 1

Is there any official, or unofficial, comment about this bug? It remains unclear if this is a problem with all WIndows 11 vms on unraid, or its a specific configuration. I think it was working for me until I enabled WSL\Docker

Edited by JackSafari

Funny, I was just about to put in an update.

The latest windows prerelease build now crashes after 2 hours of idle, even without having WSL enabled. 

So yes, Windows 11 vms on unRaid is not going to work.

Edited by alloveru
    • Like 1
    On 3/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, swallace said:

I'm having the same issue. Windows 11 VM, running WSL2 and Docker Desktop. CPU cores go to max, VM locks up. Have to force stop the VM to get it to work again. 

I was going to write an AutoHotKey to move the mouse one pixel every few minutes when the system was idle, but have not got around to it. Not that important; I just went back to using my Windows 10 vm. I have a valid Windows 11 retail license bought $$$$  through egghead, and I don't want it become invalidated because of vm problems.

Can also confirm this is happening to me on this system:image.png.ad887233120f9bf3fb2254aae1f0f9dd.png

The issue is definitely connected to turning on Hyper-V inside Windows. If you turn off Hyper-V the system will work just fine. There's something happening with idle states, the VM (or kvm/qemu) and Hyper-V that causes a system crash on idle. Unraid itself is fine and I have a second PC running on a second GPU and different threads that also working just fine.

I wonder if it's related to the C6-state issue? Would this issue happen on OVMF or SeaBios too? I'm just throwing ideas here cuz I have no idea what the cause could be.

To me unfortunately not running Hyper-V isn't an option because of games with stupid anti-VM protections. So any possible fix for this would be a godsend.

Edited by kftX

I have this issue as well with my current hardware and on bios 0503. I tried turning off cstate and that didnt make any difference. windows 11 which I have installed on a m.2 for dual boot. Windows 11 works fine then will just freeze up and I have to restart the vm. Im on build 22000.613 so not sure if this is a windows or unraid settings issue. Hyper v is enabled, so i can try and use the android on windows option.

I have checked the sleep and power, and they are all set for best performance with sleep and screen off disabled.

Edited by Goldmaster