• [6.10 rc3 - 6.11.5] Realtek RTL8156 USB 2.5Gb NIC not working

mwpmo
    • Closed

[6.10 rc3 - 6.10.3] Realtek RTL8156 USB 2.5Gb NIC not working (since 6.10 rc3)

Unraid found the device and list it in the System Devices page

Bus 004 Device 002 Port 4-2      ID 0bda:8156 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN

But the NIC is not found in Network Setting page

itmu-diagnostics-20220520-0705.zip

• Like 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I almost forgot about using that USB Nic until i found the plugin in the app section today.

Working perfectly @ 2.5Gbit with the Sabrent USB Nic.

Very big thank you.

I have a TrendNet PCI-E SFP card that uses the R8186B Chip, https://www.trendnet.com/products/pcie-adapters/TEG-ECSFP

I hope that this driver would work for me, but sadly it does not.

root@Tower:/# lspci | grep Ethernet
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)

Any ideas if I can get this working or not? 

Its not a blacklisted device either. 

10 hours ago, all0gIc said:

root@Tower:/# lspci | grep Ethernet
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I226-V (rev 04)

This suggests the NIC is not being detected, not a driver issue, please post the diagnostics.

Hi @Squid,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

It's odd as if I swap it for another PCI-E Device such as a network card, or any other device I can see it no problem. 

FYI Also its a m.2 to PCI-E Adapter, not sure if that has some sort of impact with the RealTEC chip/card?

Is there anything else you can advise as I'd really like to use this SFP Card to pass though to a pFsense? Other than purchase another card?

12 hours ago, all0gIc said:

Is there anything else you can advise as I'd really like to use this SFP Card to pass though to a pFsense? Other than purchase another card?

The NIC is not being detected, this is not a software problem, try the NIC in a different PC if possible to confirm it's working, it can also be a compatibility issue with that board.

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The NIC is not being detected, this is not a software problem, try the NIC in a different PC if possible to confirm it's working, it can also be a compatibility issue with that board.

Will do, but remember the board does not have any PCI-e slots, only M.2 that I have converted using an adapter that works for all other devices connected to it, just not this device. 

I will try swapping the m.2 slots to see if that changes anything.  But indeed, its not a driver/kernel issue.