• [6.10] TimeMachine backups continue to fail "failed to attach using diskimages2" "operation not supported by device"

wgstarks
    • Minor

I first posted regarding this in the prerelease section here but just testing and reporting for 6.10. See the initial bug report for more details.

Summary:

TimeMachine completes one backup but then cannot mount that sparsebundle for future backups. This error is being reported by multiple unraid and synology users.

• Like 1
    • Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I was able to resolve this issue by re-installing macOS 12.4, deleting the existing TM backup and creating a new one. It appears that the problem wasn't related to unRAID.

• Confused 1

Really? For me since Update to 6.10 stable (Update from 6.9,2) the Time Machine Backups cannot be finished.

macOS 12.3.1

2 hours ago, saber1 said:

Really? For me since Update to 6.10 stable (Update from 6.9,2) the Time Machine Backups cannot be finished.

macOS 12.3.1

2 hours ago, saber1 said:

macOS 12.3.1

What error are you getting? Run this command on macOS-

printf '\e[3J' && log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --last 6h | grep -F 'eMac' | grep -Fv 'etat' | awk -F']' '{print substr($0,1,19), $NF}' 

This will show the TM log for the past 6 hours.

6 minutes ago, saber1 said:

The command gave me an usage on how to use grep

What version of macOS are you using?

Here's a slightly different command-

log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info | grep 'upd: (' | cut -c 1-19,140-999

I get something like this:

error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=19 "Operation not supported by device" UserInfo={DIErrorVerboseInfo=Failed to initialize IO manager: Failed opening folder for entries reading}

error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=19 "Operation not supported by device" UserInfo={DIErrorVerboseInfo=Failed to initialize IO manager: Failed opening folder for entries reading}

That error looks similar to mine. In my case it was fixed by re-installing monterey from the recovery menu. Deleting the existing backup and starting a new one. I also deleted all smb extras settings related to macOS in settings>SMB on unraid and set smb multi channel to off.

I had exact same issue:

7 hours ago, saber1 said:

And I was able to reproduce it on two Mac laptops (with Intel CPU) using Monterey 12.2 and 12.4.

Spend a day trying to figure out how to resolve this issue and since the only update I did was updating Unraid to 6.10.0 I decided to downgrade it back to 6.9.2. It actually worked and now my backups are running again with no issues 

• Upvote 1

It stops working exactly at that point i did the upgrade from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0.

It can't be a solution to reinstall macOS. The issue is not on Mac site.

Look at @mok's comment.

• Upvote 1
    7 hours ago, mok said:

I had exact same issue:

And I was able to reproduce it on two Mac laptops (with Intel CPU) using Monterey 12.2 and 12.4.

Spend a day trying to figure out how to resolve this issue and since the only update I did was updating Unraid to 6.10.0 I decided to downgrade it back to 6.9.2. It actually worked and now my backups are running again with no issues 

In my case the problem started when I installed macOS 12.3.1 and was resolved by re-installing macOS. This allowed backups to complete and stopped all the kernel panics that had previously required a reboot of macOS. My suspicion is that Apple has made some change to their SMB implementation but since they don’t provide any specific details with their updates it’s hard to say for sure.

It’s also possible that not everyone posting here has the same issue since they haven’t provided any logs.

Everyone is free to re-open this issue though if you find that you truly do have the same issue (matching errors in the logs) or open a new bug report if you find that your issue is somehow different.

@JorgeB

What to do here?

Some people have issues with Time Machine and 6.10.X.

For me the problems exists on 6.10.0 and .1.

After downgrade to 6.9.2 the Backup working imediatly.

And the disk i have declared for the Time Machine Share will not go to sleep under 6.10.X.

No problem under 6.9.2.

• Upvote 1
    17 hours ago, saber1 said:

@JorgeB

What to do here?

Not sure why you are asking me? I can't help with this since I don't use Macs but you're issue might be different than the one here, you should create a new bug report with a complete description of the problem you're having and don't forget the diagnostics.

same problem, and when i want to create  new one,i can't see the time machine in  the configrution.

I mount the NAS try to create ,but alway failed  " error 112 no mountable file system" or "Failed to eject 'disk2' using ioctl, error: 16 Resource busy"

15 minutes ago, lagunapata said:

same problem, and when i want to create  new one,i can't see the time machine in  the configrution.

I mount the NAS try to create ,but alway failed  " error 112 no mountable file system" or "Failed to eject 'disk2' using ioctl, error: 16 Resource busy"

I would suggest installing the TimeMachine docker on your unRAID server. I haven’t been using it for long but it only has one function and seems to work quite well.

Hi it seems that adding this on the extra config for samba make the trick.

vfs objects = fruit
        fruit:metadata = stream

Edited by nimrodel50

I'm still seeing this with 6.10.2.

8 hours ago, TapIt said:

I'm still seeing this with 6.10.2.

You should give the TimeMachine docker a try. It’s working great for me.