• [6.10 rc3 - 6.11.5] Realtek RTL8156 USB 2.5Gb NIC not working

mwpmo
    • Closed

[6.10 rc3 - 6.10.3] Realtek RTL8156 USB 2.5Gb NIC not working (since 6.10 rc3)

Unraid found the device and list it in the System Devices page

Bus 004 Device 002 Port 4-2      ID 0bda:8156 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN

But the NIC is not found in Network Setting page

itmu-diagnostics-20220520-0705.zip

• Like 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I see what's happening but not sure why yet.  From your diags, "lspci.txt" we see this:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:0123]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 07)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [174b:0123]
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 07)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [174b:0123]

I 'bolded' the issue above.  For some reason the kernel is assigning the r8169 driver to the RTL8125 device instead of the r8125 driver.  'googling' this reveals it's a known issue, eg,

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=274481

https://github.com/awesometic/realtek-r8125-dkms/issues/7

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes. Because the RTL8156 USB is not working. I installed a miniPCIe version of RTL8125 2.5GB NIC.

(Total 4 NIC installed in server, 2 onboard R8169 NICs, 1 miniPCIe RTL8125 NIC and 1 USB RTL8156 NIC)

I don't know RTL8125 used r8169 cause the UnRAID showing the speed at 2.5Gb speed and I can get a speed of nearly 270MB/s when I copying files to it. So I am sure my RTL8125 is running at 2.5Gb.

Don't know what is the relationship between the the loading of r8169 driver in my RTL8125 and the missing RTL8156 USB NIC.

Same problem here. 6.10.1 either doesn’t contain the driver or fails to load it properly. 

I’ve rolled back to 6.9.X and the USB driver is loaded and working properly.

Just upgraded to 6.10.2, my RTL8156 USB 2.5G NIC still not working.

@zoggy

My 8125 NIC (PCI device 0x10ec:0x8125 (r8169)), it run at 2.5GB FULL speed (nearly 300MB/s when I copying file to unRAID's SSD cache).

BTW, this bug report is on RTL8156 USB 2.5GB NIC.

For your problem in 8125, is it better to write a new bug report?

I've also rolled back to 6.9.2 after a failed attempt to upgrade to 6.10.2.  My usb allocations were somehow messed up - maybe something similar to this where drivers were causing problems reading from the flash drive?  Anyway, just wanted to say you're not alone with mystery items just causing inoperable servers with this latest upgrade.  I'm gonna watch for some resolution before I consider upgrading - I don't know lots of things but I do know I don't have the time or knowledge to figure this one out on my own...

I hope they can fix the problem shortly, but I don't think they can.

From the ONLY response from limetech on 21 May, I don't think they really know what the problem is and what is the root cause. Maybe they are bust dealing with other critical bugs, no other responses on this bug. Maybe there are only a small group of users using this USB 2.5Gb NIC.

I reported the problem on 8156 USB NIC, but they just said maybe there is a problem in the another working 8125 NIC in my unRAID server. (I need to take out the m.2 SSD cache disk to install the mPCIe version of 8125 NIC)

Quite disappointed cause several versions of 6.10 were released, but the problem has not been fixed.

• Upvote 1

I believe there's a plan for Unraid to soon have an option to easily install out of tree drives, this is the best bet for issues like these, since compiling the various out of tree drivers with every Unraid release was becoming very difficult for LT.

• Upvote 1

Looks like i'm having the same/similar issue... the USB network controller worked fine in 6.9.2 but it's not showing up under 6.10.3 even though it shows up in the system devices:

Bus 004 Device 002 Port 4-1 ID 0bda:8156 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN

Edited by soong
    On 7/24/2022 at 11:18 AM, mr007 said:

Any updates with this issue?

No update since mid-May. Quite disappointed.

Like mentioned above there's a plan for Unraid to soon have an option to easily install out of tree drives, this is the best bet for issues like these, where the in tree driver doesn't work with some models, when LT used some out of tree drivers it broke other models support, this way only users who need it install the out of tree driver.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:08 PM, JorgeB said:

Like mentioned above there's a plan for Unraid to soon have an option to easily install out of tree drives, this is the best bet for issues like these, where the in tree driver doesn't work with some models, when LT used some out of tree drivers it broke other models support, this way only users who need it install the out of tree driver.

Thanks for cleairfy this, seem like a good solution.

There's a solution inside this thread:

Basically the solution is replace the driver with correct one and disable build-in driver. The content is Chinese but you can use google translate :)

Edited by vvvvvanilla

I'd just like to add that this would be an extremely helpful addition as so many motherboards now include this.

I too am not able to use without fix from jinlife posted above.

This of course breaks on each update, so not really a solution.