• [6.10.2] Logs pop-ups window in docker close themselves when containers stopped/restarted

Osamah
    • Solved Minor

Logs pop-ups window in docker close themselves when containers stopped/restarted

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

This is expected behavior, not a bug. Please close.

can I disable this? It wasn't happening before i updated. this just makes my work less efficient.

• Upvote 1

The implementation in 6.10 is different and now allows continuous logging of a running docker container in real-time.

Previously the log was opened but never updated, while a container is running.

When Docker stops a container, it also stops the associated logging, and hence the window is closed because there is no longer real-time monitoring possible. Opening the log of a stopped container just shows what has been stored, but is not updated in real-time and the user is asked to close the window at their convenience.

• Confused 1
    On 5/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, bonienl said:

The implementation in 6.10 is different and now allows continuous logging of a running docker container in real-time.

Previously the log was opened but never updated, while a container is running.

When Docker stops a container, it also stops the associated logging, and hence the window is closed because there is no longer real-time monitoring possible. Opening the log of a stopped container just shows what has been stored, but is not updated in real-time and the user is asked to close the window at their convenience.

Well, thank you for both the responses and amazing work you guys done. The new one is in fact way better.

Don't you think that it is a better to keep the logs opened even if the container stopped and leave the option to the user to close the window? + If the user didn't close the window, it will resume itself after the container starts again.

Anyway this is my impression of it, and it's a very minor thing, just wanted to give you guys my feedback of it.

Edited by Osamah
    • Upvote 1
    On 5/28/2022 at 8:24 AM, bonienl said:

Opening the log of a stopped container just shows what has been stored, but is not updated in real-time and the user is asked to close the window at their convenience.

Is this the case?

I ask, as I am unable to see why a docker failed to start, as the docker log opens and closes immediately.

How do we access the log of that closed docker?

• Thanks 1
    34 minutes ago, local.bin said:

How do we access the log of that closed docker?

Just open the log while the container is stopped.

Anything recorded will be visible.

I understand the change but I must agree that this really messes with my workflow when setting up/maintaining containers. Would be nice to have the option to set keep the windows open as it used to be

• Like 1
    • Upvote 1

I appreciate the realtime logging, but I also am having an issue where a docker container will not start, and it immediately closes the log. how am I supposed to see why it won't start?

Edited by Dreded
    • Upvote 1

ok I figured out what you guys meant above, this is user error... sort of. I had "--restart unless-stopped" in the extra options field.

So as a medium level user of docker, I would like to ask that either a pull down be added to adjust the docker restart option so its more obvious or to disable the autoclose of the log window... a warning at the bottom saying "Due to this container restarting, This log will not update unless it is closed and re-opened" would be fine and more user friendly I would think.

also my fix has been to change the extra parameters to "--restart on-failure:3" that way it will auto-restart but will only try 3x so I can still check the log when its a real failure.(this is for a Authenticator docker so its important to stay up, and it likes to randomely crash once a month or so)

Edited by Dreded
    • Upvote 1
    as this auto closing log prevents me from seeing what my docker container is crashing at...ITS A BUG! Or its designed to make us go crazy and find another solution for our nas systems...but i digress

this auto close thing drives me also crazy all over the system, not only in docker log. 

sometimes i cant even copy the need lines.....

i tried to find a setting for a few more seconds...... 🙂  did not found it... 

I have ended up using the terminal/ssh. 

example command: 

docker logs --follow `docker ps -aqf "name=Unraid-API-RE"`

Edited by BoKKeR