• [6.10.X] - New ipvlan causing network issues after backups.

CorneliousJD
    • Urgent

Note, at time of writing, 6.10.3 is current and this happened on all 6.10.X releases thus far.

I previously had crashing issues at least once every 72 hours with 6.9 using docker containers w/ static IPs.

To combat that at the time I created a docker-specific VLAN for the few containers that needed static IPs.

Fast forward to 6.10.X and the release of the ipvlan mode which was supposed to help people with this issue.

I went ahead and removed my VLAN and swapped docker to ipvlan mode and everything works great.

That is, up until I do my weekly CA appdata backup (via Squid's excellent plugin, of course) 

When running it would finish and then restart docker containers but my entire system would actually lose outside access to the internet, and I have no idea why.

The network/internet access would stay down until I rebooted, or if left alone long enough would eventually restore itself after 5-10 hours or so. 

I was able to seemingly track this down to docker service itself, since stopping docker service restored network connectivity immediately. Very weird... 

I wasn't able to troubleshoot/chase this further as I rely on this server far too much for my day to day life at this point.

I have since reverted back to macvlan mode with a docker-specific VLAN and so far my issue has not recurred.

here are two threads where I report the problems but wasn't able to get anywhere with it.

I figure submitting this as an official bug report may help get it some attention, as it's certainly a weird issue that I couldn't narrow down...

I have also marked this as urgent because it's a pretty MAJOR bug to have everything lose internet access. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Does this have anything to do with the backup plugin not (currently) honoring the startup order?

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Does this have anything to do with the backup plugin not (currently) honoring the startup order?

Hi Squid, it shouldn't, because the only thing that *would* matter is my pihole container, but my server itself is set to use other public DNS servers, plus I run a secondary pihole on a raspberry pi totally external to my server that acts as my backup DNS on my LAN. 

Since my server itself fails to ping out to 8.8.8.8 when this happens, it would seem to not have anything to do with container order. 

If I can be of any more help let me know. 

I have also marked this as urgent because it's a pretty MAJOR bug to have everything lose internet access. 

I use ipvlan extensively without any problems.

Loosing internet access seems to point to something happening in your network set up outside Unraid.

7 hours ago, bonienl said:

I use ipvlan extensively without any problems.

Loosing internet access seems to point to something happening in your network set up outside Unraid.

So this only affects this server. All other devices are ok, and it also *only* happens when doing a CA appdata backup. If I turn off the schedule for backups it doesn't happen at all. 

Also changing back to macvlan prevents the issue. 

If it's something network related outside of the server, then it makes no sense to me haha 

This seems to be the same or a very similar issue, they are experiencing problems much faster than I am, but they seem to have it narrowed down to the same ipvlan issues, and the shim interface where the host access to custom networks being enabled is what causes the problem.

Linking here as it may be helpful.

Forgot I made this post, but this issue still exists in 6.10.3 currently. 

Is there any acknowledgement of this issue? The thread linked above seems to show some other users with the same problem. 

Think iv run into a similar issue
    Seems my EdgerouterX does not like same mac being used across multiple devices when in ipvlan mode.

but macvlan is potentially causing me crashes ugh!

8 hours ago, macmanluke said:

Think iv run into a similar issue
    Seems my EdgerouterX does not like same mac being used across multiple devices when in ipvlan mode.

but macvlan is potentially causing me crashes ugh!

For what it's worth because I kept having nothing but problems, I eventually took one NIC (my server had 4) and made it just for a docker network, no vlans or anything but ALL dockers use that one NIC interface now, and it's all on macvlan and I have not had any problems since.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:39 PM, CorneliousJD said:

For what it's worth because I kept having nothing but problems, I eventually took one NIC (my server had 4) and made it just for a docker network, no vlans or anything but ALL dockers use that one NIC interface now, and it's all on macvlan and I have not had any problems since.

Not a bad idea, already have a quad nic in it so could just use one of the spare ports.

Got IPVlan working - had to disable host access to custom networks (which has its own issues but at least its working)