• 6.11.1 One mac backups fine, another doesn't

urbanracer34
    • Minor

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I was lucky enough to wrestle this out of one of the backup attempts. Certain parts censored. It was all working before upgrading to 6.11. This is from the mac running monterey. 

901602237_ScreenShot2022-10-06at5_39.38PMmoded.thumb.jpg.77b1ce7bb3fd6184ac06872296d1e667.jpg

Edited by urbanracer34
    clarify

Left my monterey mac for the better part of a day. No luck.

My Catalina mac backed up no problem in the same timeframe.

What does it take to get some official help here? 

Here is a copy of the information of the original post:

So I have a mac running catalina and one on monterey. 

I decided to upgrade my sever to 6.11.

After that, I started having some problems, my Catalina machine backups just fine...

My Monterey one doesn't. I rebooted it 3 times, no luck. 

Can I get some insight into this?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had switched wifi networks on the monterey while it was backing up before upgrading the server os (network it was on is 2.4 and not 5 where it should've been) and it stopped immediately. 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:53 PM, urbanracer34 said:

What does it take to get some official help here? 

This is a user forum so all help is unofficial. If you want official help I believe LT still offers paid support for a fee. You can contact them here.

I've tried restarting server and machine several times. No luck.

I'm trying to remove the backup from Time Machine on the monterey mac and re-adding it to get it to go again. 

I am going to restart it. 

Edited by urbanracer34

Also, if you run this command after a failure it should show the TM log.

printf '\e[3J' && log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --last 6h | grep -F 'eMac' | grep -Fv 'etat' | awk -F']' '{print substr($0,1,19), $NF}'

2 minutes ago, urbanracer34 said:

I'm trying to remove the backup from Time Machine on the monterey mac and re-adding it to get it to go again. 

What if you create a new TM share on the unRAID server? Will the Monterey machine backup to that?

16 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

No. I was suggesting that you might be able to delete the previous backup and start a new one.

Working on it right now. It's taking forever to delete the old backup. 

20 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

But did the backup to the new share work?

It did. I decided to delete the backup on the old share and readded it to macOS. It's backing up right now nicely. We'll know in the morning if it worked. 

Edited by urbanracer34

I am also sorry for the way I have treated the community. I see some threads get responses right away and wonder why mine never get anywhere. 

21 hours ago, urbanracer34 said:

It did. I decided to delete the backup on the old share and readded it to macOS. It's backing up right now nicely. We'll know in the morning if it worked. 

I have the same problem with my Monterey backups. Yes deleting old backup and starting from new backup will work but only once. When you go for a second time backup you will run into the same problem you had. It won't work. You literally have to delete old backup every single time in order for new one to work. This issue has started with Unraid version 6.10 and it's the same problem with 6.11. So far I haven't found single solution that would fix this problem. Let me know if you do please.

• Upvote 1
    10 minutes ago, Duja said:

I have the same problem with my Monterey backups. Yes deleting old backup and starting from new backup will work but only once. When you go for a second time backup you will run into the same problem you had. It won't work. You literally have to delete old backup every single time in order for new one to work. This issue has started with Unraid version 6.10 and it's the same problem with 6.11. So far I haven't found single solution that would fix this problem. Let me know if you do please.

Glad to hear someone is in the same ship as me. I have a backup running right now on my Monterey machine, it will have to run overnight and then we'll see if it's fixed.

I never had a problem with 6.10. 

On the upside, I bought an external hard drive as a failsafe. Been backing up to it every few days. Will be stepping up backups if this is not solved. 

Edited by urbanracer34
    3 minutes ago, urbanracer34 said:

Glad to hear someone is in the same ship as me. I have a backup running right now on my Monterey machine, it will have to run overnight and then we'll see if it's fixed.

I never had a problem with 6.10. 

macOS Ventura is coming out in this month (October 2022). I'll wait for that to see if Unraid Time Machine backups will work with the new OS. If not I might have to downgrade Unraid to previous working version if there are no solutions from the community.🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Duja said:

macOS Ventura is coming out in this month (October 2022). I'll wait for that to see if Unraid Time Machine backups will work with the new OS. If not I might have to downgrade Unraid to previous working version if there are no solutions from the community.🤷‍♂️

I had a similar issue and fixed it by re-installing macOS. You may want to give that a try.

This is not a mac problem. Both of my mac devices (MacBookPro and iMac) are failing to backup to Unraid. This problem came with new Unraid version. I've been backing up my macs on Unraid for last 5 years without any problems.

Edited by Duja
    3 minutes ago, Duja said:

This is not a mac problem. Both of my mac devices (MacBookPro and iMac) are failing to backup to Unraid. This problem came with new Unraid version. I've been backing up my macs on Unraid for years before this.

What versions are they running? My Mac running Catalina is still backing up no problem! Only my Monterey mac is giving me problems.

Edited by urbanracer34
    clarify