• 6.11.1 One mac backups fine, another doesn't

urbanracer34
    • Minor

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 minutes ago, Duja said:

I had Monterey on my macs for a full year now and daily backups worked flawlessly on Unraid 6.9 versions. 

My monterey mac backed up just fine till I upgraded the server to 6.11 from 6.10. I was going to upgrade the Catalina machine to Monterey but that got put on hold when this issue came up. 

Edited by urbanracer34
    clarify
    27 minutes ago, Duja said:

This is not a mac problem. Both of my mac devices (MacBookPro and iMac) are failing to backup to Unraid. This problem came with new Unraid version. I've been backing up my macs on Unraid for last 5 years without any problems.

Have you tried making adjustments to vfs_fruit as described here?

My Monterey mac successfully backed up! No server tweaking was required. 

I will not marked this as solved, as I'm not sure how long this backup "honeymoon" will last, but also because others have issues. 

Just thought I would report back.

My Monterey mac has been backing up very well. 

I will still keep this open for those who are having problems. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:19 AM, urbanracer34 said:

Just thought I would report back.

My Monterey mac has been backing up very well. 

I will still keep this open for those who are having problems. 

I just upgraded both of my Mac's to macOS Ventura and magically backup started working again on both devices :D

I have had this problem and just thought it was my mac being silly

I am not sure if its slackware and they way it implements samba for me time machine has been a pain.  I resorted to a hard drive connected to my mac and letting it run every once is a while.

2 hours ago, urbanracer34 said:

Also, in the survey they sent out, time machine was at the bottom of the list.

Probably only a very small percentage of UnRAID customers using macs.

2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Probably only a very small percentage of UnRAID customers using macs.

Will they at least continue to support it for those who do? Would like someone to give me a concrete answer; the higher up the food chain the better. 

1 minute ago, urbanracer34 said:

Will they at least continue to support it for those who do? Would like someone to give me a concrete answer; the higher up the food chain the better. 

I am not affiliated in any way with lime technologies and can’t speak for them but I haven’t seen anything to indicate that they intend to drop support for Time Machine. They have pushed out several recent changes to improve TM compatibility.

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I am not affiliated in any way with lime technologies and can’t speak for them but I haven’t seen anything to indicate that they intend to drop support for Time Machine. They have pushed out several recent changes to improve TM compatibility.

Do you happen to have a list on where and when these changes were implemented? 

Just now, urbanracer34 said:

Do you happen to have a list on where and when these changes were implemented? 

No but the most recent was the implementation of smb-fruit.conf in 6.11.5 (I think).

On 12/12/2022 at 11:27 AM, urbanracer34 said:

After deleting the sparsebundle and giving it a day to do its thing, we are backing up to the server again! 

Why is it like this?! 

The thing is it may backup once but the incrementals tend to hang or fail.  If you want flawless Time Machine backups downgrade to 6.9.2 until they resolve the issue.  I am on the same boat, I have tried 6.10.3 and 6.11.5 and have had to downgrde because in those versions the Time Machine backups were broken, once downgrading they work great again.  This is with machines on Catalina, Monterey and Ventura, prior to my upgrade to 6.10.3 Time machines backups had worked for 10 years without a problem on Unraid. 

I would love to be on the latest Unraid Stable, but Time Machine backups of my computers is up there on the reasons I have Unraid in the first place, and never really heard of the survey so my vote was not in there as I assume many people's that are perhaps not that active. 

This is a problem with the newer samba version that 6.11+ is using. There are some people reporting success using a third party timemachine container. For me it did not help. So far I could not find a solution and resorted to using an old NAS of mine just for timemachine.

its sad service that the problems mac users have with the samba service on unraid do not get treated with more priority.

also there are problem reports with the nfs service and hypervisors such as ESXi and XCP-ng.

I have been using unraid for many years, firstly for media content, but the more use cases I later tried to use unraid for, the more I got disappointed with its compatibility and performance. if you can afford it (talking cost for power and drives), for valuable data and performance I would recommend using TrueNAS Core, which is free, and certainly a more professional and stable storage solution based on ZFS.

Edited by murkus