• [6.12.1] Slow network speed with Realtek RTL8125 network card and UNRAID

rene54321
    • Minor

Hi,

I have built an new UNRAID ITX-System and want to use the onboard Realtek RTl8125BG network adapter because of the support of 2,5GBit/s network speed. The network adapter is recognised correctly and is using the kernel integrated r8169 driver. I have expirienced the already known problem like in the thread below:

With iperf3 I am also reaching nearly the whole performance of the max. 2,5GBit/s in both directions. But If I use an SMB share and try to load an big file on it, I only reach approx. 30MByte/s upload speed. Download instead ist working fine. The file was loaded to an Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD so this should not be the bootleneck here. It seems that the r8169 driver is not working well with the RTL8125BG network card in my case. The only "and not good" solution was to load an different bzmodules and bzimage file from these chinese unraid forum thread:

After blacklisting the r8169 kernel driver the new r8125 driver was loaded and the adapter was working well afterwards with up- and downlink speeds of nearly 300MByte/s when using SMB shares. Is there any solution how to get this fixed without exchanging the whole bzmodules/bzimage file and load only the extra driver for my network card?

best regards René

unraid-diagnostics-20230506-1403.zip

• Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,

I have installes the latest version of UNRAID (6.12.1). The problem is still the same also with the updated Kernel. Any help would be perfect. I would like to use the whole network speed of 2,5 GBit/s.

best regards René

Thanks for highlighting this issue as I was having the same problems with my UNRAID server and I was suspecting my other devices to be at fault since it was working fine before. I have some I225-V devices that were getting slow upload speeds and I was suspecting it was their fault because of known issues with the chips...

But no, it was the UNRAID updates and also UNRAID 6.12.3 did not fix the issue.

Luckily jinlife posted replacement Realtek drivers for most major chipsets in the App Repository so there is no need to replace the BZIMAGE with possibly fishy fixes from some chinese sources haha.

I replaced my RTL8125 driver and it is now getting its full speeds again - fantastic!