• [6.11.5] Used/free disk space incorrectly reported in GUI on Dashboard and Main tab

mattalat
    • Closed

This is apparently a known problem, however I can't find any bug reports about it. On an array drive (SATA drive, XFS file system) the "free space" and "used space" is dramatically wrong. I've attached screenshot of the main tab showing 27.9gb used, a screenshot of Dynamix File Manager showing the true used space (822 gb). The user shares calculation also shows the correct usage (screenshot attached as well. I've confirmed all files are there and accessible. I've attached diagnostics.

Other, potentially helpful info: when I first installed the drive and ran the mover, everything appeared correct. Only after restarting did it display incorrectly. If I add new files to the array drive, unraid GUI seems to acknowledge their existence, ie. used space increased from 27.9 to 35 after adding a 7 gb file. It doesn't acknowledge the older files however.

Edit: one other piece of info - I used the trash guides to utilize hardlinks for most of these files if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

disks tab.jpg

shares tab.jpg

wyse-diagnostics-20230401-2130.zip

main tab.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

More info: after rebooting the GUI seems to "remember" the newer 7 gb file I added, as used space remained 35 gb. I should have mentioned that I swapped SATA ports during the reboot that caused the issue. I switched it back and the problem persisted, so I didn't think it was relevant.

This is not directly an Unraid problem since df reports the same:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md1        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk1

Unraid doesn't use df, but probably gets the stats form the same place, so it's some issue with Linux and XFS, is it possible for you to try without hardlinks to see if you see the same?

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

This is not directly an Unraid problem since df reports the same:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md1        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk1

Unraid doesn't use df, but probably gets the stats form the same place, so it's some issue with Linux and XFS, is it possible for you to try without hardlinks to see if you see the same?

To do this - do I just turn off hardlinks in global drive settings? If I do that, when I turn it back on will hardlinks be in tact?

Not sure if just disabling now will change anything, also not sure if they would remain intact after re-enabling, ideally you would test with a different disk, or after starting over if that's possible.

Ok update: I tried setting the share to Cache: Prefer and having mover send everything back to the cache drive, in the hopes of then sending all the data back to the array and seeing if unraid would then "see" the data on it. Unfortunately the mover error'd out after one file and the array drive was then seeing as unmountable due to a filesystem error. I did xfs_repair on the drive and now it's seeing everything as normal, all files visible on the array drive and utilization is correct.

Do you think this is the sign of a bad drive or connector? What could have caused the file system error? Thanks.

Everything looks good so far, so likely and in this case, the original issue was just filesystem corruption.

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Everything looks good so far, so likely and in this case, the original issue was just filesystem corruption.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1