• [6.5.0] Upgrade to 6.5.1

Peter Kejser
    • Minor

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The download fails several times.

Try to download the ZIP file directly from Limetech and copy the bz* files to your flash device. Then reboot the system.

You've got a total of 1Gig memory, manual download would be the only way to upgrade as bonienl states, but 1Gig is really pushing the envelope for compatibility.

10 hours ago, itimpi said:

I would it is time to update the minimum requirement for unRAID v6 to be 2GB?

Yes we need to think about this one...

i know its a "tiny" server compared to i3 and i5 and what not, but im not demanding much, actually only redundancy of what i store and the abillity to read and write files to it and stream a file from it now and then, i guess i could have gone with tinylinux, but i´m not tech savy in linux, and unraid is "simple" plugin drives and keep the biggest drive parity. Thats why i chose unraid.

Kind regards

Peter

26 minutes ago, Peter Kejser said:

i know its a "tiny" server compared to i3 and i5 and what not, but im not demanding much, actually only redundancy of what i store and the abillity to read and write files to it and stream a file from it now and then, i guess i could have gone with tinylinux, but i´m not tech savy in linux, and unraid is "simple" plugin drives and keep the biggest drive parity. Thats why i chose unraid.

Kind regards

Peter

Yes we are trying not to neglect the small NAS use cases since that's unRAID's heritage.  The download has grown pretty large over the years with addition of console GUI, docker, virtual machines, and ever increasing set of device drivers.  We are looking at ways to remedy this situation.

Did you happen to try the upgrade with array stopped?  Another thing you can do is first reboot in 'Normal/Safe' mode - this will prevent console GUI code and any plugins you might have from loading into RAM.  Then try the upgrade.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

6.5.2 update failed on a 2G Box. It got the zip and extracted ok, but ran out of space on / to finish the upgrade

Had to resize / to add another 100MB for the update to finish correctly.

So for those who are CLI comfortable: and see if the upgrade works.

# mount -o remount,size=1G /

Just a thought but maybe we can either:

* dynamically make a new tmpfs mount of the sensible size  - say 256M /tmp/unRAID and download and extract the image there.

* download to a cache/array share (worst case)

6 hours ago, ken-ji said:

Just a thought but maybe we can either:

* dynamically make a new tmpfs mount of the sensible size  - say 256M /tmp/unRAID and download and extract the image there.

* download to a cache/array share (worst case)

Good proposal.

The existing flash backup utility does something similar. It checks if enough memory is available to create the ZIP file in RAM, otherwise it looks for one of the predefined shares and stores the ZIP file on disk.

The OS update routine can have some checks too before downloading the ZIP file.

This is one of the intended use for 'system' share.

I will update this report to 'Open' so that it stays on my radar ;)

Not that this will help your current situation but in upcoming unRAID 6.6 I'm compressing the Docker binaries that are stored in bzroot and this will end up shaving off about 100MB of RAM needed for the root ram filesystem.  Might help those that are using a small amount of ram.