• [6.5.3] DNS settings not used when checking for new version of unraid and plugins

thomas
    • Minor

I have DNS1 set to 9.9.9.9 and DNS2 set to 1.0.0.1, but I'm blocking at the router level 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. With these settings, the update status for unraid and plugins is always "unknown". If I remove the blocking for google DNS, the update status works right away. I'm thinking that the checking for updates are done using only google DNSs and not the ones specified in the network setings.

Attached is the diagnostics.

unraid-diagnostics-20180803-1537.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 8/3/2018 at 7:44 PM, ken-ji said:

FCP also has a silly test to ping github.com .. but the CDN in my locality doesn't allow pings... go figure...

I haven't filed a complaint there because I don't use FCP, only tested it.

The github ping is there because every plugin in the ecosystem is hosted on GitHub.  If you can't get to github, you aren't able to update plugins which may introduce tons of problems into your server.  It's not a test for internet connectivity per se.  (BTW, FCP does allow you to ignore any given error)

But, what I've done now is switch to checking if a file that it tries to download from GitHub anyways exists.

• Upvote 1

Shouldn't this just use the default DNS used by Unraid?

I don't allow devices on my network to override what I set at my router.

Which in my case is 1.1.1.1 and I use DNS over TLS to protect my query's from preying eyes.

Edited by Dazog
    • Upvote 1
    On 8/4/2018 at 1:32 PM, bonienl said:

I have made an update which addresses this issue.

Instead of pinging the Google DNS server a wget spider test is done to NCSI (network connection status indicator).

This is the same method as used by Microsoft Windows to update the Internet status in the taskbar.

In the process a bit smarter implementation is done to keep hold of the current Internet access state, which speeds up the plugins page updating time.

Is it really necessary to use Microsofts server for this?