• [6.5.3] - HDD temperatures not correctly updated

xorinzor
    • Closed Annoyance

All of my drives were spun down, then I started a file transfer from a different computer via the SMB share to my unraid server array, but I noticed in the dashboards the temperatures were still displayed as "*" even though all drives were already spinning.

I then proceeded to press the "Spin up" button, and after I did that the temperatures finally appeared and started updating as normal.

Is it possible that the interface didn't correctly parse the drives spinning up and thus didn't bother checking the temperatures from the smart data? if I clicked on the disk I could read the temperature from the SMART data just fine, the dashboard just didn't update properly it seems.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There can be a delay before the GUI is updated.   What do you have under Settings->Disk Settings->Tunable (poll_attributes) ?    The default value of 1800 means that the disks are only polled every 30 minutes.  You may want a much smaller value - something like 300 (5 minutes) is what I use.

The temperatures won't update immediately. They will only update when the SMART values get updated. By default that is every 1800 seconds (30 minutes). That is controlled by poll_attributes under Disk Settings.

But then why is it that I could read the temperature in the SMART values just fine but they weren't displayed in the dashboard until I pressed the "Spin up" button?

I feel like there's still a trigger bug related to this.

You can read the current value by going into the individual drives but the value on the main page won't update until the poll_attributes time is reached. If you spin the drives up just after poll_attributes fired then it will be another 30 minutes before the temps get updated. This is not a bug, it's just how it works.

In all honesty I don't get why you'd program the dashboard to work like that instead of just using the data it has, live.

Additionally I don't get why the Spin up button would trigger a refresh, but the automatic spinning up of the drives wouldn't, but that relates back to the dashboard not using live values in that case.

If it's not a bug I'll leave it, but I find it a very weird design choice.

Maybe worth noting I'm not in the actual "dashboard" tab, but the "main" tab.

Edited by xorinzor
    3 minutes ago, xorinzor said:

If it's not a bug I'll leave it, but I find it a very weird design choice.

There are very valid reasons why it is designed this way

1. Reading disk attributes (including temperature) can negatively impact the normal reading/writing of the disk. The temperature reading is done at a much lower interval with its own timer setting as reading the other disk statistics to keep impact on normal operation as low as possible.
    2. Reading disk attributes may spin up a disk, that's why attributes are never read once a disk is spun down. The moment a disk becomes 'active' the aforementioned timer is started to read temperature with minimal interference.
    5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

There are very valid reasons why it is designed this way

1. Reading disk attributes (including temperature) can negatively impact the normal reading/writing of the disk. The temperature reading is done at a much lower interval with its own timer setting as reading the other disk statistics to keep impact on normal operation as low as possible.
    2. Reading disk attributes may spin up a disk, that's why attributes are never read once a disk is spun down. The moment a disk becomes 'active' the aforementioned timer is started to read temperature with minimal interference.

Yes, but if I click on the disk it isn't showing the live values from S.M.A.R.T. is it?

So if those values are stored / cached somewhere, then surely they can just be displayed in the dashboard semi-live without impacting the disk itself, this would fix the entire issue.

Edited by xorinzor

Whatever, I think you guys are just completely misunderstanding me.

Honestly, what's the point of having a dashboard if it doesn't show known values.

I'm going to stop trying to explain this now. It's pretty frustrating.

Edited by xorinzor
    On 9/15/2018 at 5:45 PM, xorinzor said:

Yes, but if I click on the disk it isn't showing the live values from S.M.A.R.T. is it?

So if those values are stored / cached somewhere, then surely they can just be displayed in the dashboard semi-live without impacting the disk itself, this would fix the entire issue.

I think in this case you ARE seeing live values.   If you take that action it is probably assumed that you are happy to take any performance hit the action might cause.

"*" is a placeholder value, not a live value. and those SMART values aren't live values because the drive doesn't spin up when I access them.

Edited by xorinzor