• 6.5.4-6.6.7 VNC doesn't work with foreign keyboards.

unRate
    • Minor

So this is very annoying. Up until now I have been able to circumvent this issue, but now the bug is critical.

In the attempt to resize a vDisk and resizing the partition in Manjaro. Upon reboot the VM boots into grub rescuer. "unknown filesystem"

Regardless if I choose English or my native layout for VNC, the characters are not where they are supposed to be. I can find the odd positions of some characters like "(" looking at pictures of an English layout but either "/" or "=" which is of course needed to set boot and prefix in grub, is missing on, respectively one or the other layout in VNC. I can't paste a command neither.

Now my VM is useless at the moment, with no obvious solution.

HOW TO REPRODUCE:

Try doing anything usefull in VNC cli with a keyboard other than english

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

What is your native layout for VNC?

I know the 'en-us' keyboard layout for VNC in the current release of unRAID has an issue with "<".  This is fixed in QEMU 2.12 which will be included in unRAID 6.6 (currently in development).  I only have en-us keyboards here so it'll be tricky to reproduce exactly what you're experiencing but I'm curious if it is also fixed in the newer QEMU.

As a temporary fix to at least be able to type the correct characters to override grub's boot options you can edit the VM and passthrough the usb keyboard from the host to the VM.  Then you can at least see from VNC but type from the physical keyboard without issue.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, eschultz said:

What is your native layout for VNC?

I know the 'en-us' keyboard layout for VNC in the current release of unRAID has an issue with "<".  This is fixed in QEMU 2.12 which will be included in unRAID 6.6 (currently in development).  I only have en-us keyboards here so it'll be tricky to reproduce exactly what you're experiencing but I'm curious if it is also fixed in the newer QEMU.

da-DK... It's also makes it hard to have headless vms...

Edited by unRate

Another thing for "de" keyboard that bugs me is that "@" isn't working most of the time. CTRL+ALT+Q mostly doesn't work. 

Edited by bastl