• [6.6.0] sftp transfer issues

nbenis106
    • Closed Minor

just updated to 6.6 stable and when transferring files over sftp to my drive it starts to transfer at about 110MiBs for a few seconds, then will timeout in my ftp client and start transferring again at the same speed and then again times out. this keeps happening over and over again while transferring the file.

i transferred the same file before i updated to the new release and this issue wasnt present, as soon as i took the update this started happening.

any idea? has this happened to others yet? Kinda urgent as the main way i use my server is with the sftp option as i have my data organized per drive for different things

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just tested FTP download using winSCP client with FTP protocol. And have no problem to download a near 60GB file from the server to my desktop.

image.png.ddfece6db281e2320fbf84b4549b5b7a.png

Have you tried a different FTP client?

• Like 1
    2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I just tested FTP download using winSCP client with FTP protocol. And have no problem to download a near 60GB file from the server to my desktop.

I'm trying to move a 60gb file from my desktop to my server not from server to desktop, I guess I could try another client although I don't see what that will do as it worked an hour before I upgraded to 6.6 using filezilla

• Like 1
    12 minutes ago, bonienl said:

ok weird, i tried WinSCP with my sftp settings and it timed out in this client as well.

however i changed protocols from sftp to ftp and it hasn't timed out yet Oo

wonder what changed to cause sftp not to work anymore, oh well as long as ftp works im happy :)

AFAIK the built-in FTP server does not support sftp, I am surprized it could work on sftp.

To verify the correct operation I copied the near 60TB file back from my desktop to disk5 of my server. All without problem.

image.png.48b9ce4624eab78ec772188f711b998d.png

I am having issues with WinSCP connected via SFTP on port 22 as well....been using it for 2 years without issue now trying to delete a fairly large folder on appdata is giving me the same issue starts to delete files then says it hasnt responded in 15 seconds abort or retry

yes very true but since i have been running unraid (2 years and counting) WinSCP on port 22 has worked now its not very well at all

Port 22 is used by the SSH daemon. I don't know if winSCP sets up a secure tunnel via SSH to do FTP.

The FTP server application itself hasn't changed.

In my tests with winSCP set up as FTP client it works flawless.

i was just able to transfer about 1GB to my cache drive using WinSCP in SFTP mode deleteing it was fine...seems the issue is with large files or folders with tons of little files.

I also realized about this problem with unraid 6.6.0 and not with 6.5.3. I´m able to acces to my server with WinSCP and transfer without restrictions (6.5.3).

With the update, I´m disconnected ramdomly after a couple of minutes. 

The OpenSSH version has changed with the update. Could that be the problem??? Also, checking on the OpenSSH website, there´s a new version since last August. Can I update it somehow??

And yes, I think sftp has always been implemented in unraid. Sftp is part of the daemons that OpenSSH installs. It´s basically an ftp through an SSH tunnel. It should the preferred method better than ftp due to the security layer.

Please try the below..

On the connect prompt click advanced, connections, and deselect optimize connection buffer size. It made mine work.

5 hours ago, Jerky_san said:

Please try the below..

On the connect prompt click advanced, connections, and deselect optimize connection buffer size. It made mine work.

thank you for your quick reply. using the filezilla docker where would i find this setting?

1 hour ago, Nicon4454 said:

thank you for your quick reply. using the filezilla docker where would i find this setting?

Guess I should of worded that better. The original OP was using WinSCP which is where that setting is. I don't know if filezilla has that setting or anything like it. I assume it has some kind of buffer tweaking though.

This broke WinSCP and Duplicati for me (both use SFTP.) I just ended up rolling back to 6.5.3 after I spent 5 hours trying to redo all of my duplicati backups 🙄

Came here because having the same issue with slow speeds using WinSCP after upgrading to 6.6.1. Jerky_san's advice "On the connect prompt click advanced, connections, and deselect optimize connection buffer size" fixed it for me too.

I'm having the same issue on 6.6.1, have been using sFTP for years but now it doesn't work anymore....... Anyone found a solution for this?

45 minutes ago, truetype said:

I'm having the same issue on 6.6.1, have been using sFTP for years but now it doesn't work anymore....... Anyone found a solution for this?

See answer of Jerky_san seven posts above.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:05 PM, bonienl said:

See answer of Jerky_san seven posts above.

Ok I have been using Filezilla always before, but now I downloaded WinSCP and turned off the buffer size optimization and it works. (Really slow though) Only 16 MB/s...

Is there anyway to change the buffer size back as it was before 6.6 and use it normally with fast speeds?

Edited by truetype
    key slipping

Aren't we missing the point here?

a) SSH issues aren't low priority and I can't believe it was marked as such.  It's a core method of accessing any Linux system and it not working could be symptomatic of other issues.

b) WinSCP can be fixed with @Jerky_san's thing - that's fine, but what about the countless other reasons unRAID might be accessed via SFTP?  FileZilla - someone asked about that.  Duplicati can't be fixed with this change (AFAIK) and was my main issue at the time.  Transmit for Mac is broken.  gFTP for Linux is unaffected, probably because of the default configuration.  Arq backup for Mac - same thing as it provides the option to use an SFTP backup target.

• Like 1

Also, let's clarify this if possible.  The issue tagged in this bug report, assuming the title is correct, is not with *FTP*.  It is with *SFTP*.

Looking at the video from @nbenis106 above, it's clear that this is about SFTP (based on the credentials used in the video).

Anyway, they're completely different protocols, although often with the same desired result.  FTP always worked fine for me, including on 6.6.0 and 6.6.1.  It is SFTP that doesn't work on 6.6.1 for me.

The comment above "Unraid doesn't have a sFTP server built-in, what are software you using?" isn't correct unless there's a distinction being made between built-in vs not built-in that I'm missing.  Poking around unRAID looks like the built-in FTP server runs on vsftpd (very common).  I can't see how that's related to this issue, though.

cc: @bonienl @truetype

Edited by digitalformula
    • Like 2