• [6.6.0] sftp transfer issues

nbenis106
    • Closed Minor

just updated to 6.6 stable and when transferring files over sftp to my drive it starts to transfer at about 110MiBs for a few seconds, then will timeout in my ftp client and start transferring again at the same speed and then again times out. this keeps happening over and over again while transferring the file.

i transferred the same file before i updated to the new release and this issue wasnt present, as soon as i took the update this started happening.

any idea? has this happened to others yet? Kinda urgent as the main way i use my server is with the sftp option as i have my data organized per drive for different things

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Has there been any resolution to this? Upgraded from 6.6.0 to .3 and continue to have the same issues. I don't want to use WinSCP -- I would like to continue using Filezilla and Transmit, but both are broken at the moment unless I fallback to insecure FTP.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:19 AM, seventhaxis said:

Has there been any resolution to this? Upgraded from 6.6.0 to .3 and continue to have the same issues. I don't want to use WinSCP -- I would like to continue using Filezilla and Transmit, but both are broken at the moment unless I fallback to insecure FTP.

It's still an issue?  Geeze.  I was about to go from 6.5.3 to 6.6.3 in the hope that this had been resolved.  Lucky I saw this post, first.

Unraid 6.6.x uses openssh v7.7p1.  As an experiment, you can try updating to latest v7.9p1 by typing in terminal window:

wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/n/openssh-7.9p1-x86_64-1.txz
    upgradepkg openssh-7.9p1-x86_64-1.txz

Then see if that improves sftp performance.

6 hours ago, limetech said:

Unraid 6.6.x uses openssh v7.7p1.  As an experiment, you can try updating to latest v7.9p1 by typing in terminal window:

wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/n/openssh-7.9p1-x86_64-1.txz
    upgradepkg openssh-7.9p1-x86_64-1.txz

Then see if that improves sftp performance.

Thanks for the suggestion @limetech.

I'm more concerned with NFS than this, though.  I'll wait until there's a confirmed fix for the NFS issues (i.e. a compatible and thoroughly tested kernel version).

11 minutes ago, digitalformula said:

Thanks for the suggestion @limetech.

I'm more concerned with NFS than this, though.  I'll wait until there's a confirmed fix for the NFS issues (i.e. a compatible and thoroughly tested kernel version).

You made a big deal about this and now you don't want to test a possible fix? ok....

Also what NFS issue?

3 hours ago, limetech said:

You made a big deal about this and now you don't want to test a possible fix? ok....

Also what NFS issue?

@limetechUmmm excuse me but I made a big deal about this because it made it made my unRAID system unusable.  That IS a big deal.  Maybe not to you, but to me.  My unRAID setup is used as a production backup system - that I don't want to experiment with it shouldn't be a surprise, especially after the issues I've had.

And ... really?  Asking what NFS issue?  It's the same issue that's been mentioned by multiple people with regards to unRAID 6.6.x.  *YOU* commented on one of the threads this month.

I'm surprised and little annoyed that someone with the name @limetech responds this way, too.  This is not a free product and we, as users, are perfectly entitled to make a big deal out of something that affects the stability of a product we PAID for.  Plus, NFS shares failing/disappearing in a NAS product?  Come on.  Nobody would ever think that's acceptable.  Geeze.

And on that nfs issue you linked to, the last posting to it was from Tom over 2 weeks ago asking for a retest and posting of a diagnostics.zip on a failing system.   As none were forthcoming I guess Tom is assuming the changes in the last update fixed the problem .... hence I assume Tom question "What NFS problem?".

Earlier in that thread Tom had said they were unable to reproduce the problem on their systems so were reliant on affected users to supply diagnostics for investigating the problem further.

• Upvote 1
    15 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

And on that nfs issue you linked to, the last posting to it was from Tom over 2 weeks ago asking for a retest and posting of a diagnostics.zip on a failing system.   As none were forthcoming I guess Tom is assuming the changes in the last update fixed the problem .... hence I assume Tom question "What NFS problem?".

Earlier in that thread Tom had said they were unable to reproduce the problem on their systems so were reliant on affected users to supply diagnostics for investigating the problem further.

Yes and I completely understand that.  There are no issues with that here, at all.

However, to get that diagnostics file I need to be running 6.6.something and I can't just upgrade with the knowledge that NFS is going to break at some point (as much as I'd love to provide logs/diagnostics/etc in order to help fix this).  Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of multiple unRAID systems, though.  This one being the only unRAID system I have, it must stay running with NFS shares working since the decision was made to implement unRAID as our onsite backup platform (yes I have offsite backups, too).  6.5.3 is totally stable in that regard so sticking with it is my only option.

I may have to look at virtualising unRAID and testing that way - I certainly *want* to run 6.6.whatever.  Just can't right now.

3 hours ago, digitalformula said:

I'm surprised and little annoyed that someone with the name @limetech responds this way, too.  This is not a free product and we, as users, are perfectly entitled to make a big deal out of something that affects the stability of a product we PAID for.  Plus, NFS shares failing/disappearing in a NAS product?  Come on.  Nobody would ever think that's acceptable.  Geeze.

There are at least three different reports of the same issue.  All of them have been marked either 'retest' or 'solved' because no one has reported issue persists in 6.6.3 release.  There is nothing we did as part of Unraid OS that would cause this issue.  Between 6.5 and 6.6 there have been numerous package and kernel updates.  We are doing our best to isolate the cause but rely on the Community for assistance because there are simply too many combinations of h/w and s/w environments for us to duplicate, let alone thoroughly test.

Same can be said of 'sftp'.  Initially there was some confusion by some people re: which ftp server code was being referred to.  That said, we don't test 'sftp' (part of openssh suite).  Again, nothing we did would account for the issues, but in researching openssh change logs, there are some bug fixes between version in 6.6.3 and current release of openssh.  Also I know openssh made some significant api changes earlier in the year, probably that broke something and you are seeing the symptom.

No disrespect intended.  The tone of your posts lead me to believe you wanted a fix asap and were willing to test out possible solutions.

7 minutes ago, limetech said:

There are at least three different reports of the same issue.  All of them have been marked either 'retest' or 'solved' because no one has reported issue persists in 6.6.3 release.  There is nothing we did as part of Unraid OS that would cause this issue.  Between 6.5 and 6.6 there have been numerous package and kernel updates.  We are doing our best to isolate the cause but rely on the Community for assistance because there are simply too many combinations of h/w and s/w environments for us to duplicate, let alone thoroughly test.

Same can be said of 'sftp'.  Initially there was some confusion by some people re: which ftp server code was being referred to.  That said, we don't test 'sftp' (part of openssh suite).  Again, nothing we did would account for the issues, but in researching openssh change logs, there are some bug fixes between version in 6.6.3 and current release of openssh.  Also I know openssh made some significant api changes earlier in the year, probably that broke something and you are seeing the symptom.

No disrespect intended.  The tone of your posts lead me to believe you wanted a fix asap and were willing to test out possible solutions.

@limetech It was my understanding, though, that the NFS issues (i.e. nfsd or Fuse crashing) was caused by an incompatible kernel version.  I'm unable to find the post that information came from so I'll assume it got deleted or I dreamed it ...

Either way, yes, I've just found those posts you marked as Solved within the last 24 hours or so (including the one marked as Solved in the last 25 mins).

If it is LimeTech's position that the issue is Solved to the point where a logged issue has been marked as Solved, I'll take my chances.  Not trying to be disrespectful either, but realistically if the developers of a product say it's fixed and we can't rely on that, we can't rely on anyone.

If the issue returns on 6.6.3 for me, I'll post diags.  Thanks.