• [6.6.4] No cron job running during the night

Niklas
    • 6.6.5 Solved Urgent

Hello,

I have some cron jobs running during the night and morning every day. None of my cron job has run over the night, upgraded to 6.6.4 yesterday. No mover, no added backup script (using User Scripts), no daily trim and no Backup / Restore from CA.

cat /etc/cron.d/root
    # Generated docker monitoring schedule:
    10 */6 * * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/dockerupdate.php check &> /dev/null

# Generated system monitoring schedule:
    */1 * * * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor &> /dev/null

# Generated mover schedule:
    0 3 * * * /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger

# Generated plugins version check schedule:
    10 */6 * * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugincheck &> /dev/null

# Generated Unraid OS update check schedule:
    11 */6 * * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/unraidcheck &> /dev/null

# Generated ssd trim schedule:
    5 4 * * * /sbin/fstrim -a -v | logger &> /dev/null

# Generated system data collection schedule:
    */1 * * * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.stats/scripts/sa1 1 1 &>/dev/null

root@Server:/etc# cd cron.daily/
    root@Server:/etc/cron.daily# v
    total 12
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  76 Nov  8 00:08 fix.common.problems.sh*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 129 Apr 13  2018 logrotate*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  76 Nov  8 00:08 user.script.start.daily.sh*
    root@Server:/etc/cron.daily# cd ..
    root@Server:/etc# cd cron.hourly/
    root@Server:/etc/cron.hourly# v
    total 4
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 77 Nov  8 00:08 user.script.start.hourly.sh*
    root@Server:/etc/cron.hourly# cd ../cron.weekly/
    root@Server:/etc/cron.weekly# v
    total 4
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 77 Nov  8 00:08 user.script.start.weekly.sh*
    root@Server:/etc/cron.weekly# cd ../cron.monthly/
    root@Server:/etc/cron.monthly# v
    total 4
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 78 Nov  8 00:08 user.script.start.monthly.sh*
    root@Server:/etc/cron.monthly#

Just added my own backup script using "User Scripts" lately. No more, no less. :)

Stuff supposed to be running here, nothing, except for fix common problems but that might be because of reboot after upgrade to .4.

Capture_System_Log_-_Google_Chrome_2018-11-08_11-04-26_01625183.png.0a6dbbe1e710cbccd7b0c17daf618c4e.png

Server%2FScheduler.png

My added script:

Capture_ServerUserscripts_-_Google_Chrome_2018-11-08_11-07-29_03478224.thumb.png.b87b62703aa3d5ab7502455368b67186.png

Contents:

#!/bin/bash
    cd /mnt/user/AppdataBackup
    /usr/local/bin/duplicacy prune -keep 0:5
    /usr/local/bin/duplicacy prune
    /usr/local/bin/duplicacy backup -stats -hash

• Like 2
    • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

An older version of ‘dcron’ is included in Unraid 6.6.4 (actually the same version as used in Unraid 6.5.3).

Need to investigate why it isn’t runnning as it did work with internal testing.

• Upvote 1

Looks like I'm experiencing the same thing. 

I don't understand the downgrade in priority.  I wouldn't call not running mover as scheduled just an "annoyance".  That's a pretty critical piece of caching for most.

Guess it's back to 6.6.3....

14 minutes ago, limetech said:

Changed Priority to Annoyance

Not to argue, but I do think that this bug is urgent, and does require a special release just to fix it, without waiting for whatever else happens to be scheduled for 6.6.5

It can potentially result in lost data due to the cache drive filling up, containers crashing, notifications not being sent etc.  Personally, I'm going to give this a day or two tops to be fixed, and then ultimately I'm going to have no choice but to downgrade back to 6.6.3, as I (and probably many users around here) are reliant upon notifications, scripts running on a schedule.

• Upvote 1

Small annoyance. No off-site backups and drives filling up because no mover running. No ssd trimming. Yeah. I feel annoyed. 😉

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Well, let me disagree. 

Edited by Niklas

I set to Annoyance because I was annoyed it was set to Urgent.  As it says in the sidebar, "Urgent" means causes a system crash or data loss (in the server), not that you feel the issue is urgent for you.  If that were the criteria, every issue is Urgent and let's just get rid of the priorities right?

3 minutes ago, brainbone said:

Not moving data from cache drive to the drive pool as expected could lead to data loss.

Not true

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Not true

If you're not running a cache drive mirrored, yet expect data on the cache drive to be flushed to your protected drive pool nightly, but then a week down the line your unprotected cache drive dies, everything you expected to have been flushed to the protected drive pool but wasn't is now lost. 

I would call that data loss.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Not true

Wow.  I'm going to step back from this thread, as its going to quickly degrade.

• Upvote 1

Urgent for ME? You are kidding, right? 

Yes. Remove the priorities so no stupid, new, customer selects something that will get you annoyed. Wow. Nice feeling I got from this. First and last time I reported something regarding unraid. And yes! I still feel like this is urgent and not only to me (?? Do I really need to say this?) Maybe this is how people are treated in these forums, haven't been here for that long. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes or something. Will absolutely not happen again! 

• Upvote 1

Guys. Lets get this straight.

It is a problem, so thank you for reporting this.

And it needs to get resolved regardless of the priority set to it here.

And the reason I answered "not true" is because a properly set up cache will overflow to the array. There is no data loss. It surely is 'inconvenient' that data stays on the cache longer than expected but this is NOT lost data.

54 minutes ago, Squid said:

Not to argue, but I do think that this bug is urgent, and does require a special release just to fix it, without waiting for whatever else happens to be scheduled for 6.6.5

It can potentially result in lost data due to the cache drive filling up, containers crashing, notifications not being sent etc.  Personally, I'm going to give this a day or two tops to be fixed, and then ultimately I'm going to have no choice but to downgrade back to 6.6.3, as I (and probably many users around here) are reliant upon notifications, scripts running on a schedule.

What he said.  I’m just going to roll back and wait for the dust to settle.

• Upvote 1
    7 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Guys. Lets get this straight.

It is a problem, so thank you for reporting this.

And it needs to get resolved regardless of the priority set to it here.

And the reason I answered "not true" is because a properly set up cache will overflow to the array. There is no data loss. It surely is 'inconvenient' that data stays on the cache longer than expected but this is NOT lost data.

The is a critical enough issue where you really should remove 6.6.4 from the stable release category. 

Edited by brainbone
    30 minutes ago, Niklas said:

Urgent for ME? You are kidding, right? 

Yes. Remove the priorities so no stupid, new, customer selects something that will get you annoyed. Wow. Nice feeling I got from this. First and last time I reported something regarding unraid. And yes! I still feel like this is urgent and not only to me (?? Do I really need to say this?) Maybe this is how people are treated in these forums, haven't been here for that long. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes or something. Will absolutely not happen again! 

You're right, and I personally apologize to you, and thank you for great report.  We'll get to the bottom of this asap.

• Like 2
    8 minutes ago, limetech said:

You're right, and I personally apologize to you, and thank you for great report.  We'll get to the bottom of this asap.

Accepted. Thanks. Let's move on. 🙂

• Like 3

In 6.6.4 release we 'reverted' the cron package back to the one that was installed with 6.5.x releases in order to solve another bug.  However the way the cron daemon was started in that package is different and in 6.6.4 the problem is that crond is never started.

We will publish a fix for this asap, and in meantime have taken down the 6.6.4 release.

If you're running 6.6.4 you can type this command in a terminal window and put in your 'go' file as a workaround:

/usr/sbin/crond -l notice

• Like 2
    • Upvote 3