• 6.6.5 AMD Drivers after 18.9.3 Breaking System

jareth
    • Closed Minor

Black Friday I upgraded to an AMD RX 580 and installed 18.9.3 onto a W10 vm.  A few weeks ago I tried to update to 18.12.1 to try and fix an issue, and as soon as Windows tries to assign the drivers, it black screens and freezes the VM.  I was able to downgrade and gave up on upgrading.  I recently tried upgrading to 18.12.2 and I got the same issue.  This time, I thought if I booted into barebone windows (my vm drive is an nvme passed through) and installed the driver, and it worked, I could boot up the VM through unraid and it should work.  It did boot into W10, but once it tried to assign the driver, it froze at a black screen.  I found a few other cases of this when researching solutions, so I thought I'd report it.  

TL:DR - New AMD drivers are crashing W10, through unraid 6.6.5

tower-diagnostics-20181229-2110.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Reviewing my prior searches I only found - 

Which is pretty similar to symptoms I am seeing.   I thought I had found more, but was searching "amd rx 580 unraid driver black screen"

Any update on this?  It's been a month, and I am experiencing some issues in a game and want to try updating my drivers.  

A few days ago, I found myself attempting to try out Unraid on my HP z820 (dual E5-2690 with 128GB, 2x 1TB SSD, 5x 3TB SAS drives, and 3x RX 480 4GB). The USB mapping was an eye opener in order to pass keyboards and mice for 3 separate Windows 10 x64 Pro VM's. After that and mapping which RX 480 was which in the hardware mapping, I was able to get all 3 VM's working. They load the RX 480 driver from Windows 10 Updates, but anytime I attempt to load any AMD drivers, that system will go black and CPU cores will be constantly pegged out. At this time, I have to boot the VM as a VNC VM instead of using the RX 480. This seems to be the only way I can get to a point to use the DDU and uninstall the AMD driver. I have been trial and erroring and working my way backwards from the current release in hopes that I do find something that works with AMD driver features. Even the 18.9.3 drivers caused issues with my setups. 

I've spent most of the day trouble shooting this issue and it seems that it is just the graphics driver, as opposed to the audio, and other drivers/utilities in the AMD driver packages.  

One thing I did notice is that when it goes to install the newer drivers, I hear the windows, new device found/installed noise, and then I hear a device disconnected noise and the system (guest) goes unresponsive.  I am not seeing cores being pegged at this time.  

I did however have my host become unresponsive while trying to reboot my W10 X64 Pro guest.  I had to force shutdown the host, which caused issues with some dockers and network settings, which I have since resolved.  I did take a diagnostics once the system came back up after the forced shutdown, but before I noticed network and docker issues.  

Currently I am stuck using 4 month old drivers, which will only get older, and possibly cause issues.  

This issue is getting closer to becoming a show stopper for how I use unraid, and it'd be nice to know that something is being done about this.

I have attached the new diagnostics in case that shines more light.

tower-diagnostics-20190207-1424.zip

Due to the lack of support/response on this five month old issue, albeit only reported two months ago, I have migrated off unRaid for my hybrid VM solution.  

I am very disappointed in the level of support I received for this, which has tarnished my view of unRaid.  

I understand troubleshooting issues, isn't straight forward, and that the architecture unRaid is built on isn't fully designed by the unRaid team, but 1 response in two months is unacceptable.

I am closing this report, as I have exhausted my troubleshooting methods (upgraded to 6.6.6 as well, which I hadn't shared) and have simply abandoned using unRaid for the purpose I intended when I purchased it.