• [6.6.6] SMART details not shown

DeeGee
    • Minor

On the disk info tab, SMART details are not shown.

Output suggests parameters not passed to smartctl - see screenshot and extract below.

url is /Main/Device?name=disk10 but happens for all other disks on that controller.

Smart output from the diagnostics file shows:

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.18.20-unRAID] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sdc: requires option '-d cciss,N'
    Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

HP ML30, HP H240 HBA (card is supported according to https://wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers )

unraid666-smart.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Set as default out of the box. Worked fine on previous versions (I think I was on 6.5 previously) - only stopped working after upgrade to 6.6.6 last night.

Assume I need to make a change here...

Ill give it a go later and update...

Ok, so if I change the default SMART controller type in settings to HP cciss, then on each disk in the array, set the disk index to match the HBA port number, I get SMART info out that matches the disk installed.

Guess something has changed as this used to work out the box without the override; but nevermind, its easy to fix for disks in the array...

However, if a disk isn't in the array and I'm looking at the details on Unassigned Devices, there is no "smart settings" section to set the disk index on the controller, so SMART fails:

=======> valid arguments areata, scsi, nvme[,NSID], sat[,auto][,N][+TYPE], usbcypress[,X], usbjmicron[,p][,x][,N], usbprolific, usbsunplus, intelliprop,N[+TYPE], marvell, areca,N/E, 3ware,N, hpt,L/M/N, megaraid,N, aacraid,H,L,ID, cciss,N, auto, test <=======

Is the page at url /Main/New?name=sdd part of base unRaid, or part of the Unassigned Devices plugin?

Ive done some more digging and this is an unRaid bug, not unassigned devices...

To reproduce:

Set default SMART controller type to "HP cciss" to match the controller.

From the Dashboard, click on the SMART green thumb icon of a device that is in the array, click Attributes and you can set the controller port index (screenshot, disk 10)

However if you click on the SMART green thumb icon of a device that is NOT in the array, click Attributes and its not possible to set the controller port index and will get a smartctl error (screenshot, sdh)

Therefore the bug is that its not possible to see the SMART data on a device not in the array when using HP cciss controller. 

The impact of this is that if a drive is added to the server, its not possible to check SMART is OK until after it's added to the array.

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 19.59.58.png

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 20.07.25.png

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 20.08.15.png

1 minute ago, DeeGee said:

Therefore the bug is that its not possible to see the SMART data on a device not in the array when using HP cciss controller. 

This is by design. Any disk outside the array is only identified by its port number sdX, which may vary per reboot.

Unraid can not keep a setting in this case, unlike array devices which are identified by their serial number.

Somethings changed.

Last night, I powered down to add some more disks. Powered back up and checked they appeared OK. I could see SMART at this point on disks that were not in the array. I *think* this was version 6.5, but can't be sure. It was the old branding anyway.

Then updated to 6.6.6 via the GUI, rebooted / rechecked the new disks and SMART was no longer available on the same disks that had been working fine 20 minutes earlier.

SMART settings until I started looking today were all default, out of the box.

Nothing else changed, apart from the update to 6.6.6.

The only change between Unraid 6.5 and 6.6 is the version of smartctl. The code to retrieve SMART information hasn't changed.

When using a controller to access disks, it is needed to set the correct controller type and if needed the correct disk reference per device.

Implementation is that array devices all have individual settings, but unassigned devices only work with the general settings, i.e. don't have specific settings.

I am having the same problem.

It worked fine in 6.8.*, however, now after updating to 6.9.1 and further to 6.9.2 it is not showing at the GUI.

I can download it. But does not show.

image.thumb.png.edf26a394c6d70e7ea8109037771ee42.png