• [6.7.2] no NICs in VM using OPNsense (FreeBSD)

peter76
    • Closed

I am running my Firewall (OPNsense, based on FreeBSD) in a VM on UNRAID using Network Bridges as virtual NICs.

Using previous versions of OPNsense (versions <= 19.1.10_1), NICs were recognized correctly, if and only if I set machine to Q35-2.6.

Problem:
    Using latest Version of OPNsense (Version 19.7), NICs aren't recognized any more, so I had to set my Firewall back to older Version to run (using a Backup of vdisk1.img).

some testing I did:
    Creating a new VM using OPNsense-19.7-OpenSSL-dvd-amd64.iso, two existing Bridges as virtual NICs results in same behavior: NICs aren't recognized in VM.
    Testing different types of machine (Q35-2.6, Q35-2.11, Q35-3.1) always results in having no NICs in VM.

Atteched there are Screeshots of my Testing-VM and the diagnostics.zip.

test3of3.png

test2of3.png

test1of3.png

tower-diagnostics-20190728-2149.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Does FreeBSD support your adapter?

I've used versions 19.1 and 19.7 of OPNsense using an intel nic with no problems.

@GHunter
    I'm also using INTEL NICs on my bare metal unRAID, but the NICs aren't passed through to the VM, they are emulated. So it should not matter if oder if not FreeBSD supports my INTEL adapters ??

@saarg

Where can I set the type of card? I can't find a option in the GUI.

Note: using the older Version of FreeBSD/OPNsense I don't have to set a type.

Edited by peter76

Sounds like you're running nested virtualization. I can't help if that's the case and it's unsupported by LT. Doesn't mean it won't work of course. Good luck.

no no no - it's not nested, have a look at my screenshot in my first posting..
    I use the Bridge of unRAID as it is suggested in GUI for creating a VM.

The option to set which card it's emulated as is either in the advanced menu, toggle the switch in the top right corner of the template, or edited in xml view.

Thinking about it, the toggle might just be switching between template view and xml view these days.