• [6.7.2] Win10 VM graphics pass-through broke with latest AMD BIOS

mattz
    • Minor

Have a thread going with 13 reports of AMD motherboards that, after upgrade to the latest BIOS, get the following error for Windows 10 VMs with GPU pass-through:

vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3 

It affects the x300, X400, and the new X570 series mobos.  This has been an issue since March 2019 when AMD motherboard manufacturers began preparing for the AMD 3000 CPUs.  In the thread, I noted during some early research that the same issue plagued the AMD TheadRipper on x399 motherboards back in 2018(??), and I think the final solution came in the form of a Linux Kernel upgrade.

This is my first report.  Let me know if I need to change anything, or if it's not applicable here. Thank you!

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That's great to hear!  Thanks for the info, @GHunter.  Although, it appears this issue is specific to the AGESA BIOS for AMD motherboards.  And a BIOS fix may be the only way to get the GPU pass-through working again...  Should this issue be closed, if that's the case?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.