• [6.7.x] Slow SMB and FUSE transfer speeds + fix

Videodr0me
    • Minor

I noticed recently that SMB read speeds with 6.7.x from the shares went way down from approx 100mb/s to 20-30mb/s. After investigation it turned out that when transfering from the disk shares directly intead of going through through the normal shares (spanning several disks) restored the normal speed. Before i realized this i tried a lot of options without any luck (network offloading, flow control, buffer sizes, maxprotocol, tunables, etc).

But then i tried to turn direct i/o OFF. And that did the trick, normal speeds are restored. This is ironic as in pre 6.x.x times I had to turn direct i/o ON to get normal speeds when copying internally (with mc) between drives (unassinged devices) and the fused shares. It seems that some of the recent changes (maybe the new buffering in the fused filesystem) interact badly with direct i/o. I did not test if internal transfer speeds are affected by turning direct i/o off in 6.7.x, as i rarely do that nowadays.

But if anybody experiences such issues, turning OFF direct i/o might be worth a try.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I know this is a little bit of thread necromancy at this stage, but can anyone point me to this setting? I tried, but couldn't find it (using 6.12.4 here).

Anf for what it's worth, I have the same problem. As soon as FUSE is involved, I get extremely sluggish performance (and really terrible when multiple small files are involved), but from disk to disk, no issues, I can max out the hardware.

Same over SMB, but I guess it's going through FUSE in that case to find the files

That setting no longer exists since it's always enabled now, unfortunately FUSE has been getting slower over the years/newer kernels , possibly even slower when combined with SAMBA, if you can try using the new exclusive shares for everything possible, that will bypass FUSE, my two main servers only have exclusive shares, on multiple pools.