• [6.8.0] Boot Error post upgrade

GFRoSTY
    • Solved

Hi, I used the Update OS option within the Unraid webpage, it downloaded the files extracted and then told me to reboot the system.

I rebooted the system and when going through and past POST, the BIOS stated 'Boot Error'

I rebooted again and seleced Force boot USB drive within the BIOS and it still gave me a 'Boot Error' indicating to me that it wasn't in a position to boot the inernal USB drive.

The USB device shows up in the BIOS fine so knows it is there and go to excecute but fails.

I have a flash copy backup of 6.7.2 my previous version, can I just put that on another USB and boot from that??  Will it cause any issues due to the upgrade proccess being completed?

I don't want to go ahead with this step unless I can get some feedback.

Thanks.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,

this is not a bug of the 6.8.0 release, this is probably something related to your system.

If you have a backup of the flash drive, simply delete everything from the flash drive and extract the zip archive of the backup into the same usb drive (not another usb drive, otherwise your license will not work), then try again to update through "update os".

Edited by ghost82
    5 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Hi,

this is not a bug of the 6.8.0 release, this is probably something related to your system.

If you have a backup of the flash drive, simply delete everything from the flash drive and extract the zip archive of the backup into the same usb drive (not another usb drive, otherwise your license will not work), then try again to update through "update os".

Another possibility is to download the zip file of the latest release extracting all the bz* type file onto the USB stick and then copy the saved config folder onto it.     This will fix any issues there might have been during the upgrade in writing the updated files.

Please close this report and make a topic under general support.

The message "Boot error" means your BIOS can't find a suitable device to boot from.

This is unrelated to Unraid 6.8

Ps. Pay attention to the priority definitions. Don't mark things "Urgent" when they are not!

Edited by bonienl

This sounds like a flash drive issue, see comments above or backup the config folder of your flash drive, use the USB tool to recreate it and then restore the config folder form the backup overwriting existing files, if you need more help please start a thread in the general support forum.

Thank you guys for a quick response and your comments.

I raised this originally as an 'Urgent' due to the fact that I believed something must have changed the USB drive's status during the upgrade process.

I did some more reading of other posts and I decided to run the 'make_bootable' app on the USB via my desktop PC. 

That worked, and the BIOS booted the USB as it should.

It ran through first but then got stuck and locked up the server, so I rebooted and then ran GUI with safemode/no plugins. It booted fine with no apparent issues.
    One more reboot, and I let it bootup normally and everything started as intended, checked logs and all was good.