• 6.8.0 -- Login reset not working

Kastro
    • Retest Minor

Updated to Unraid 6.8.0 and when I tried to log in root didn't recognize my password. I tried to reset password via removing drive, looking for config/shadow config/smbpasswd and deleting it. Shadow config folder didn't exist but I found smbpasswd in the config directory and removed it. But when I try to log in with just root and no password it is saying I can't leave that field empty. 

unraid.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

You might want to try downloading the zip file for the release and extracting the config/passwd and config/shadow  files and putting them on the flash drive?  I am not sure what happens when the 'shadow' file is missing and the 'passwd' file wants it to get the password.

It is possible there is some sort of bug around this so report back on any progress.

I downloaded the zip file (unRAIDServer-6.8.0-x86_64) and there isn't a config/passwd file or a config/shadow folder, neither exist in the zip file. 

I have tried with enables and disabled cookies and still no go.

Perhaps the password reset instructions need an edit. @Kastro you seem to have tried to delete a single file called:

"config/shadow config/smbpasswd"

I think the instruction should be to delete two files:

"config/shadow"

"config/smbpasswd"

Edited by Freddie
    didn't know what I was talking about
    1 hour ago, Freddie said:

Perhaps the password reset instructions need an edit. @Kastro you seem to have tried to delete a single file called:

I think the instruction should be to delete two files:

"config/shadow"

"config/smbpasswd"

Those are the instructions.  OP said config/shadow did not exist.  You can delete config/passwd too if you want but if you have any users defined they will need to be recreated, preferably in the same order they were defined.

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Those are the instructions.  OP said config/shadow did not exist.  You can delete config/passwd too if you want but if you have any users defined they will need to be recreated, preferably in the same order they were defined.

Yes, those are the instructions, but the formatting on the wiki makes it easy to misunderstand and try to delete one file called:

OP said "Shadow config folder didn't exist"

27 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Yes, those are the instructions, but the formatting on the wiki makes it easy to misunderstand and try to delete one file called:

OP said "Shadow config folder didn't exist"

Ok I see what you mean - fixed it.