• [6.8.1] crash on boot (sometimes)

JorgeB
    • Solved Minor

There are been several reports of serves crashing on boot after updating to v6.8.1, and they all crash in the same place:

/etc/rc.d/rc.M: line 164:   modprobe -r $DRIVERS

Some examples

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87378-server-fails-to-start-after-update/

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87435-system-hang-681/

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87664-sometimes-my-unraid-isn’t-starting-since-last-update/

I just had the same happening to me after upgrading one of my servers to v6.8.1:

iKVM_capture.jpg.63546531bbd2d37540b34bd53115223a.jpg

Rebooted and it crashed again:

26682209_iKVM_capture(1).jpg.89bec61a909f4369c31bfd11b1b61d92.jpg

Ran chkdsk but no errors found:

1670611132_flasherror1.PNG.296176ca39ed9c3f37678083bd8f4210.PNG

729240766_flasherror2.PNG.c8518c4aea818ef4c30e4c64289b5e2d.PNG

Rebooted again and this time server started, rebooted two times successfully and then it crashed again on the 2 next ones, one more attempt and again it booted again correctly, attaching diags more to see the hardware used, but other reports are with very different hardware, AMD and Intel based servers.

It's strange because it only happens sometimes, my last boots:

X X (ran chkdsk) V V V X X V

X - crashed

V - booted

tower5-diagnostics-20200123-0752.zip

Video showing where it crashes:

This server uses

Edited by johnnie.black

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

20 minutes ago, darrenyorston said:

At the moment I get the error 100% of the time.

If you read above you can see we already found out what's causing the problem, Intel NIC using the igb driver, doesn't mean that everyone using it will crash, but AFAIK everyone that is having issues is using one.

9 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Both of my onboard NICs are Intel.  One uses the igb driver and the other uses the e1000e driver.

7 hours ago, limetech said:

Yes that is true though at present only one server has both connected to a switch,  using bonding driver - simple failover mode.

Did you re-assign the interfaces under network rules?

Only when a re-assignment is done, the file network-rules.cfg is created and a driver reload happens upon reboot (this is the point where the call trace occurs).

As a test you could change the assignment of the interfaces (e.g. swap eth0 and eth1) and reboot the system.

6 hours ago, bonienl said:

Did you re-assign the interfaces under network rules?

Only when a re-assignment is done, the file network-rules.cfg is created and a driver reload happens upon reboot (this is the point where the call trace occurs).

As a test you could change the assignment of the interfaces (e.g. swap eth0 and eth1) and reboot the system.

So strange finding: Both my adapters are using the igb driver.  Switching which MAC was assigned to ETH0/ETH1 in the network-rules.config allowed me to boot into the system. 

However, after rebooting again, got stuck at the same modprobe -r $DRIVERS step.

Darn, looks like I have this problem as well. Too bad I did a remote reboot and now I can't get into my system (I know, I should never do a remote reboot). :(

I have an ASROCK Z390 Taichi board and using both NICs

Can't really give anymore info until I get home

Another Intel i211 onboard nic (x2) as well as Mellanox ConnectX-3.

No boot was possible after a power cycle or even via safe mode (gui), restoring 6.8.0 was the only change that restored my system.

I have two onboard Intel nic and noticed the error repeatedly. I wasn't able to boot my machine at all, which I found weird because it rebooted from the upgrade without issue. I hadn't made any configuration changes to the interfaces or anything. I was finally able to consistently boot my device after a few tries in the BIOS.
    I started out as unbootable with primary NIC enabled with ROM type of PXE and secondary NIC enabled with ROM type disabled. I then completely disabled the secondary NIC and was still unable to boot. So I left the secondary NIC disabled and changed the ROM type on the primary from PXE to disabled and I could magically boot again.

Edited by evenstay

Just tried upgrading my home NAS to 6.8.1, have the same issue.

SuperMicro X11SSL-F motherboard

EDIT: and how do I downgrade safely to 6.8.0 without any data or configurations?

EDIT2: After reading through other threads, I restored 6.8.0 from /previous folder that is present in the root directory of the USB stick and it solved my issue (as expected)

Edited by n0stalghia
    1 hour ago, limetech said:

Please see if Unraid OS 6.8.2 solves this issue.

Solved for me.

I do get some questionable driver related messages

Jan 26 20:13:30 vesta kernel: igb: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
    Jan 26 20:13:30 vesta kernel: igb 0000:06:00.0 eth1: mixed HW and IP checksum settings.
    Jan 26 20:13:30 vesta kernel: igb 0000:07:00.0 eth2: mixed HW and IP checksum settings.

Edited by bonienl
    • Thanks 1
    9 minutes ago, RyanOver9000 said:

I installed 6.8.2 today and am now receiving this error. :( Going to try to do a completely fresh upgrade and see what happens.

Deleted the network-rules.cfg and it booted right up. Thanks for the help.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, tompapajr said:

Running into the same issue here.  Brand new install (6.8.1) on a SuperMicro X10DRL-i  which has 2x Intel i210 Gigabit Adapters and a Realtek RTL8211E (Dedicated for IPMI). Tried also booting Safe Mode without any success.  Worked fine on first boot-up and configuration.  First time I rebooted the system, I got stuck at modprobe -r $DRIVERS. 

Let me know if theres anything I can do to help.

6.8.2 also resolved my issues too.