• 6.8.3 and 6.9.0 HP_iLO BUG

MacManiac
    • Urgent

I wanted to report a BUG that does not allow me to create and start the array correctly.
    As you can see from the ScreenShot I have connected
    - 4 HDDs of 8Tb
    - 2 SSD from 1Tb
    for a total of 6 attached storage.
    But the internal HP_iLO (intelligent provisioning) is detected as a storage unit and therefore the license does not start the array.
    The HP_iLO drive is absolutely not removable and this unfairly blocks the license I bought
    In this way it is unusable.

Schermata 2021-03-02 alle 18.46.05.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I bet the same thing would be seen for anyone using an out of band management module capable of virtually attached media (iDRAC from Dell, etc) - can you try unloading the iscsi driver to see if that's for whatever reason improperly noting network block storage as a physical drive towards your license limit?

From the terminal:

rmmod iscsi_tcp

Then refresh the page?

If that doesn't do it (and it might not, depending on when the license is checked), then we can insert this earlier by adding it to the modprobe.d config:

echo "rmmod iscsi_tcp" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/iscsi_override.conf

Then reboot - I'll be curious to see if it's specific to the addition of the iSCSI module, or if it doesn't care what virtual bus is used...

I tried to download the iSCSI driver as you said but it returns error:
    root @ UnRaid: ~ # rmmod iscsi_tcp
    rmmod: ERROR: Module iscsi_tcp is not currently loaded

also added /boot/config/modprobe.d/iscsi_override.conf and restarted but nothing changes.

Edited by MacManiac

Sorry, I wasnt asking to install it, but to remove it if it existed. I'd attach diagnostics if you haven't pulled them yet...

How does iLO present virtual media? My supermicro board emulated a USB block device, and while I'm not anywhere I could test it at this point, I'd assumed a USB device wouldnt show up here.

One other thing I can think of - head to system devices, and stub the vendor ID of whatever virtual media mount is there; at least then itd disappear from view and you could start your array, while still allowing you to pass the connection to a VM while they sort it out

I cannot remove the media because it does not appear anywhere in the iLO. It is not the usual ISO that you mount to boot the server, that is just a few Mb memory used by the iLO to boot Intelligent Provisioning.
    How do I block the vendor ID of a device from the system?
    I have the Array blocked for some stupid .... I'm sad ....

unraid-diagnostics-20210303-0842.zip

Edited by MacManiac

Sorry but the situation is becoming URGENT.
    I have an UnRaid Server stopped only because UnRaid detects a USB drive of a few MB, which I absolutely cannot get rid of.
    Any way to deactivate this unit and restart UnRaid ?????

I can't think of a way that Limetech could both address this in the OS, and still maintain the integrity of their licensing model. I'd incorrectly thought initially that this was something that just showed up after upgrade, but this is something that'd impact any version of UnRAID - it's not that the iLO *supports* attaching virtual block devices, it's that you have it running right now. Since the server is already 'provisioned', I'd disable it until such a time as you actually need to re-install something else (or boot something else, at which time you could easily re-enable in the BIOS):

First thing that came up when I searched for it should address it:

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/shared/config/activate.html

Well an idea could be to make sure that the UnRaid license only counts the hard drives that are actually composing the array and not anything that connects to the PC.

That's not viable unfortunately as itd allow people to simply work around the license via the unassigned devices plugin (or zfs, or any number of other things)

ok but an unassigned drive is not an array drive but a single drive. You can use it but you have no redundancy benefits.

47 minutes ago, MacManiac said:

ok but an unassigned drive is not an array drive but a single drive. You can use it but you have no redundancy benefits.

You can build BTRFS or ZFS pools that would provide redundancy.

Especially with 6.9.0 that allows several pools.

55 minutes ago, MacManiac said:

That's unfortunately incorrect - I have ~30 drives in one of my unraid servers, but only two of them are used for the array; the rest are zfs, and all the data that matters on the server is on that zfs pool being served out by unraid.

To be more clear here as to why your best option to move forward with this is to run through the steps linked and disable the iLO provisioning component when not being used, here's my unraid array:

unraid_array.png.cd2a93a22ea664e4803137dca0305995.png

Meanwhile, all the data other than scratch space (which is what I use the unraid array for currently) is here (partial list):

partial_unassigned_drives.png.b00ad6c79e0c09d185e05134f773e8ce.png

I get all the benefits of unraid's stellar community support, device passthrough, and UI (at the loss of power efficiency), but I'm not limited to just the two drives in the unraid array. If Limetech were to only make me pay for the devices I had in the unraid array, they'd really be doing themselves a huge disservice - it'd be financially infeasible.

Instead, they make the license based on the number of attached block devices - this offers us as customers the flexibility to use unraid whatever way we want to, while still allowing the business side of things to remain viable.

Hope this helps explain things a bit

Go to Tools -> System Devices. Can you bind the controller for this drive to vfio-pci?  Post a screenshot of this page if you aren't sure.

• Like 1