• [6.8.3] docker image huge amount of unnecessary writes on cache

S1dney
    • Solved Urgent

EDIT (March 9th 2021):

Solved in 6.9 and up. Reformatting the cache to new partition alignment and hosting docker directly on a cache-only directory brought writes down to a bare minimum.

###

Hey Guys,

First of all, I know that you're all very busy on getting version 6.8 out there, something I'm very much waiting on as well. I'm seeing great progress, so thanks so much for that! Furthermore I won't be expecting this to be on top of the priority list, but I'm hoping someone of the developers team is willing to invest (perhaps after the release).

Hardware and software involved:

2 x 1TB Samsung EVO 860, setup with LUKS encryption in BTRFS RAID1 pool.

###

TLDR (but I'd suggest to read on anyway 😀)

The image file mounted as a loop device is causing massive writes on the cache, potentially wearing out SSD's quite rapidly.

This appears to be only happening on encrypted caches formatted with BTRFS (maybe only in RAID1 setup, but not sure).

Hosting the Docker files directory on /mnt/cache instead of using the loopdevice seems to fix this problem.

Possible idea for implementation proposed on the bottom.

Grateful for any help provided!

###

I have written a topic in the general support section (see link below), but I have done a lot of research lately and think I have gathered enough evidence pointing to a bug, I also was able to build (kind of) a workaround for my situation. More details below.

So to see what was actually hammering on the cache I started doing all the obvious, like using a lot of find commands to trace files that were written to every few minutes and also used the fileactivity plugin. Neither was able trace down any writes that would explain 400 GBs worth of writes a day for just a few containers that aren't even that active.

Digging further I moved the docker.img to /mnt/cach/system/docker/docker.img, so directly on the BTRFS RAID1 mountpoint. I wanted to check whether the unRAID FS layer was causing the loop2 device to write this heavy. No luck either.

This gave me a situation I was able to reproduce on a virtual machine though, so I started with a recent Debian install (I know, it's not Slackware, but I had to start somewhere ☺️). I create some vDisks, encrypted them with LUKS, bundled them in a BTRFS RAID1 setup, created the loopdevice on the BTRFS mountpoint (same of /dev/cache) en mounted it on /var/lib/docker. I made sure I had to NoCow flags set on the IMG file like unRAID does. Strangely this did not show any excessive writes, iotop shows really healthy values for the same workload (I migrated the docker content over to the VM).

After my Debian troubleshooting I went back over to the unRAID server, wondering whether the loopdevice is created weirdly, so I took the exact same steps to create a new image and pointed the settings from the GUI there. Still same write issues. 

Finally I decided to put the whole image out of the equation and took the following steps:

- Stopped docker from the WebGUI so unRAID would properly unmount the loop device.

- Modified /etc/rc.d/rc.docker to not check whether /var/lib/docker was a mountpoint

- Created a share on the cache for the docker files

- Created a softlink from /mnt/cache/docker to /var/lib/docker

- Started docker using "/etc/rd.d/rc.docker start"

- Started my BItwarden containers.

Looking into the stats with "iotstat -ao" I did not see any excessive writing taking place anymore.

I had the containers running for like 3 hours and maybe got 1GB of writes total (note that on the loopdevice this gave me 2.5GB every 10 minutes!)

Now don't get me wrong, I understand why the loopdevice was implemented. Dockerd is started with options to make it run with the BTRFS driver, and since the image file is formatted with the BTRFS filesystem this works at every setup, it doesn't even matter whether it runs on XFS, EXT4 or BTRFS and it will just work. I my case I had to point the softlink to /mnt/cache because pointing it /mnt/user would not allow me to start using the BTRFS driver (obviously the unRAID filesystem isn't BTRFS). Also the WebGUI has commands to scrub to filesystem inside the container, all is based on the assumption everyone is using docker on BTRFS (which of course they are because of the container 😁)

I must say that my approach also broke when I changed something in the shares, certain services get a restart causing docker to be turned off for some reason. No big issue since it wasn't meant to be a long term solution, just to see whether the loopdevice was causing the issue, which I think my tests did point out.

Now I'm at the point where I would definitely need some developer help, I'm currently keeping nearly all docker container off all day because 300/400GB worth of writes a day is just a BIG waste of expensive flash storage. Especially since I've pointed out that it's not needed at all. It does defeat the purpose of my NAS and SSD cache though since it's main purpose was hosting docker containers while allowing the HD's to spin down.

Again, I'm hoping someone in the dev team acknowledges this problem and is willing to invest. I did got quite a few hits on the forums and reddit without someone actually pointed out the root cause of issue.

I missing the technical know-how to troubleshoot the loopdevice issues on a lower level, but have been thinking on possible ways to implement a workaround. Like adjusting the Docker Settings page to switch off the use of a vDisk and if all requirements are met (pointing to /mnt/cache and BTRFS formatted) start docker on a share on the /mnt/cache partition instead of using the vDisk.

In this way you would still keep all advantages of the docker.img file (cross filesystem type) and users who don't care about writes could still use it, but you'd be massively helping out others that are concerned over these writes.

I'm not attaching diagnostic files since they would probably not point out the needed.

Also if this should have been in feature requests, I'm sorry. But I feel that, since the solution is misbehaving in terms of writes, this could also be placed in the bugreport section.

Thanks though for this great product, have been using it so far with a lot of joy! 

I'm just hoping we can solve this one so I can keep all my dockers running without the cache wearing out quick,

Cheers!

• Like 3
    • Thanks 17

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 6/25/2020 at 12:13 PM, limetech said:

Please Stop array, open terminal window and type this command:

sed -i 's/-o loop/-o loop,noatime/' /usr/local/sbin/mount_image

Then Start array and let me know if that helps reduce the write load (and by how much if any).

Hi,  

What happens if we run this now as a potential workaround, and then 6.9 drops? 

Do we need to reverse it?

I have run "sed -i 's/-o loop/-o loop,noatime,space_cache=v2/' /usr/local/sbin/mount_image" on my array and im retest.

Before it was clocking 1,600Mb in 20mins, lets see what it does now once the arrays calmed down from all the container/VM restarts....

Edited by boomam
    • Like 1

Unfortunately this didn't really make a difference for me - 20mins later and its at 1,500Mb written from loop2.

I'm gonna leave it be for a bit whilst i'm out and retest over a 20min period later to see if its just a result of settling back down after the array came back online, but so i'm somewhat prepared, how would i reverse the command to put it back to 'stock' ?

Poking about, the config in /usr/local/sbin shows the noatime,space_cache=v2 repeated several times and on several lines. Is that normal?

#!/bin/sh
    #Copyright 2005-2016, Lime Technology
    #License: GPLv2 only

# mount_image filepath mountpoint size

IMAGE_FILE=$1
    IMAGE_SIZE=$3
    MOUNTPOINT=$2

# if no image file we'll create one
    if [ ! -e "${IMAGE_FILE}" ]; then
      echo "Creating new image file: ${IMAGE_FILE} size: ${IMAGE_SIZE}G"
      # ensure parent path exists
      mkdir -p $(dirname "${IMAGE_FILE}")
      # create 0-length file so we can set NOCOW attribute on the new file and then extend size of file
      touch "${IMAGE_FILE}"
      # if image file is located on a "user share" dereference to get real device path
      DISK=`getfattr -n system.LOCATION --only-values --absolute-names "$IMAGE_FILE" 2>/dev/null`
      if [ "$DISK" != "" ]; then
        IMAGE_FILE="${IMAGE_FILE/user/$DISK}"
      fi
      # setting NOCOW attribute will fail if not btrfs, but so what?
      chattr +C "${IMAGE_FILE}" 2>/dev/null
      # try to use fallocate first
      if ! fallocate -l ${IMAGE_SIZE}G "${IMAGE_FILE}" 2>/dev/null ; then
        # try truncate
        if ! truncate -s +${IMAGE_SIZE}G "${IMAGE_FILE}" 2>/dev/null ; then
          echo "failed to create image file"
          rm -f "${IMAGE_FILE}" 2>/dev/null
          exit 1
        fi
      fi
      # set ownership
      chown nobody:users "${IMAGE_FILE}"
      # create btrfs file system in the image file
      if ! mkfs.btrfs "${IMAGE_FILE}" ; then
        echo "failed to create btrfs file system"
        exit 1
      fi
      # mount
      if ! mount -t btrfs -o loop,noatime,space_cache=v2,noatime,space_cache=v2,noatime,space_cache=v2 "${IMAGE_FILE}" "$MOUNTPOINT" ; then
        echo "mount error"
        exit 1
      fi
    else
      # exists, check that it's a regular file
      if [ ! -f "${IMAGE_FILE}" ]; then
        echo "${IMAGE_FILE} is not a file"
        exit 1
      fi
      # check that the file is not already in-use (or being moved by 'mover')
      if /usr/local/sbin/in_use "${IMAGE_FILE}" ; then
        echo "${IMAGE_FILE} is in-use, cannot mount"
        exit 1
      fi
      # if image file is located on a "user share" dereference to get real device path
      DISK=`getfattr -n system.LOCATION --only-values --absolute-names "$IMAGE_FILE" 2>/dev/null`
      if [ "$DISK" != "" ]; then
        IMAGE_FILE="${IMAGE_FILE/user/$DISK}"
      fi
      # (maybe) extend file size
      # try to use fallocate first, will never make the file smaller
      if ! fallocate -l ${IMAGE_SIZE}G "${IMAGE_FILE}" 2>/dev/null ; then
        # try truncate
        truncate -s \>${IMAGE_SIZE}G "${IMAGE_FILE}"
      fi
      # mount
      if ! mount -t btrfs -o loop,noatime,space_cache=v2,noatime,space_cache=v2,noatime,space_cache=v2 "${IMAGE_FILE}" "$MOUNTPOINT" ; then
        echo "mount error"
        exit 1
      fi
      # (maybe) extend file system size
      btrfs filesystem resize max "$MOUNTPOINT"
    fi
    exit 0

Edited by boomam
    23 minutes ago, boomam said:

Unfortunately this didn't really make a difference for me - 20mins later and its at 1,500Mb written from loop2.

The most effective work-around until we complete our testing is to type this after array has Started:

mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache

(If you are using a different named pool of course use that mount point instead.)

• Like 2
    4 minutes ago, limetech said:

The most effective work-around until we complete our testing is to type this after array has Started:

mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache

(If you are using a different named pool of course use that mount point instead.)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do I need to do anything to revert the other command I ran? I assume if the new workaround is post-array start that it won't be affecting the 6.9 update when it drops?

& Is it normal for those commands to be duplicated on the same line in the config I posted above?

• Like 1
    26 minutes ago, boomam said:

Do I need to do anything to revert the other command I ran? I assume if the new workaround is post-array start that it won't be affecting the 6.9 update when it drops?

& Is it normal for those commands to be duplicated on the same line in the config I posted above?

Looks like you typed that 'sed' command more than once.  In any case, the file reverts to original upon reboot.  If you put that in your 'go' file I'd say remove it.

Caveat - I am in no way any kind of expert on either Unraid or Linux fiiing systems. I'm just trying to join the dots here! I could easily have done so incorrectly so feel free to shoot this down. I won't be offended. You may already all know this, but I didn't, and I feel a little bit more knowledgeable now.

The link below is to an interesting paper from 2017 that compares the write amplification of different file systems. BTRFS is by far the worst with a factor of 32x for small files overwrite and append when COW is enabled. With COW disabled this dropped to 18.6X, which is still pretty significant. This is three years ago, so things may have changed. In particular space_cache V2 could be  a reaction to this? BTRFS + writing or amending small files = very high write amplification.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.08514

This suggests that BTRFS is a great system for secure storage of data files, but not necessarily a good choice for writing multiple small temporary files, or for log files that are continually being amended.  Looking at common uses of the cache in Unraid might lead to the following suppositions. A BTRFS cache using Raid 1 is a good place for downloaded files before they are moved into the array. It's also good for any static data files. However, it's likely not to be the best place for a Docker img file or any kind of temporary storage. Particularly if redundant storage isn't needed. XFS might be a better choice there.

Docker appdata is a tricky one. That's likely data you want to be redundantly stored, but it might also be changing rapidly. Likely to contain databases for example. I can see that an SQLite or MySQL database could be a real issue with BTRFS write amplification.

The Docker img itself also being BTRFS is a further complication that makes my head hurt...

The new cache pools will likely be a great way to help deal with this dilemma! 🙂

• Like 1
    3 minutes ago, Lignumaqua said:

The Docker img itself also being BTRFS is a further complication that makes my head hurt...

Thank you for the post.  Yes there a very large number of variables, my head hurts too...

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Looks like you typed that 'sed' command more than once.  In any case, the file reverts to original upon reboot.  If you put that in your 'go' file I'd say remove it.

I don't know what  "go file' is sorry, never heard that terminology.

I just rebooted the system, and then ran "mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache" in a SSH session.  

Re-testing now...

ok.

Another 20min test -

Pre-any change = 1,600Mb in 20 min.

Post "sed" change = 1500Mb in 20 min.

Post "/mnt/cache" change = 300Mb in 20 min

(mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache)

Thats the difference between

115Gb/day or 3.34Tb/month.

&

21Gb/day or 648Gb/month

That's a major improvement! Still not perfect, but still noticeably better than it was.

I'll see if i can find a way to script that to run on array start each time until 6.9 rolls around.

Thanks for the input! :)

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, boomam said:

ok.

Another 20min test -

Pre-any change = 1,600Mb in 20 min.

Post "sed" change = 1500Mb in 20 min.

Post "/mnt/cache" change = 300Mb in 20 min

Thats the difference between

115Gb/day or 3.34Tb/month.

&

21Gb/day or 648Gb/month

That's a major improvement! Still not perfect, but still noticeably better than it was.

I'll see if i can find a way to script that to run on array start each time until 6.9 rolls around.

Thanks for the input! :)

Either put it in your go file (in the config folder on your flash drive), or add it to the User Scripts plugin.

Edited by StevenD
    1 minute ago, StevenD said:

Either put it in your go file (in the config folder on your flash drive), or add it to the User Scripts plugin.

I went with the latter route for now, slightly easier to turn off pre-6.9. 🙂

On 6/14/2020 at 2:17 AM, nickp85 said:

-Data units read [38.7 TB]

-Data units written [107 TB]

In 13 days I'm up to here...

Data units read 92,516,764 [47.3 TB]

Data units written  213,412,436 [109 TB]

This is crazy... my cache is really only used to run dockers and my windows 10 VM.  2 TB in 13 days is nuts

Edited by nickp85

My usage was 5TB over 20 days (BTRFS RAID0 cache on 6.8.3).

After moving docker.img to array and back again, my daily writes in the last 7 days has dropped from an average of 0.25TB to 0.14TB (daily data units from 442,229 to 254,563).

A near 50% write reduction.

Edited by tjb_altf4
    7 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

After moving docker.img to array and back again, my daily writes in the last 7 days has dropped from an average of 0.25TB to 0.14TB (daily data units from 442,229 to 254,563).

Have you tried the remount command mentioned above?

35 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Haven't tried that yet, want to collect a few more days worth of data before changing anything else.

12 hours ago, Lignumaqua said:

The link below is to an interesting paper from 2017 that compares the write amplification of different file systems. BTRFS is by far the worst with a factor of 32x for small files overwrite and append when COW is enabled. With COW disabled this dropped to 18.6X, which is still pretty significant. This is three years ago, so things may have changed. In particular space_cache V2 could be  a reaction to this? BTRFS + writing or amending small files = very high write amplification.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.08514

This suggests that BTRFS is a great system for secure storage of data files, but not necessarily a good choice for writing multiple small temporary files, or for log files that are continually being amended.  Looking at common uses of the cache in Unraid might lead to the following suppositions. A BTRFS cache using Raid 1 is a good place for downloaded files before they are moved into the array. It's also good for any static data files. However, it's likely not to be the best place for a Docker img file or any kind of temporary storage. Particularly if redundant storage isn't needed. XFS might be a better choice there.

I found this research article to be of great interest as it indicates that a large amount of write amplification is inherent in using the BTRFS file system.

I guess this raises a few questions worth thinking about:

• Is there a specific advantage to having the docker image file formatted internally as BTRFS or could an alternative such as XFS help reduce the write amplification without any noticeable change in capabilities.
    • This amplification is not specific to SSD's.
    • The amplification is worse for small files (as are typically found in appdata share).
    • Are there any BTRFS settings that can be applied at the folder level to reduce write amplification.  I am thinking here of the 'system' and 'appdata' folders.
    • If you have the CA Backup plugin to provide periodic automated backup of the appdata folder is it worth having that share on a single drive pool formatted as XFS to keep amplification to a minimum.  The 6.9.0 support for multiple cache pools will help if you need to segregate by file format.

• Thanks 1

Just some stats to add:

UnRaid 6.8.3

BTRFS Raid 1 500GB NVME Cache

7 Dockers constantly running

Plex (Binhex)

Deluge (Binhex)

Transmission

letsencrypt

mariadb

nextcloud

Teamspeak (Binhex)

VM's

One windows 10 VM (mostly idle)

Loop2:

Pre changes = 20-25GB in 1 Day.

Post "sed" change = 18GB in 1 Day.

Post "/mnt/cache" change = 4GB in 1 Day

I recreated the whole cache 3 Weeks ago. (Tried to move to XFS and didn't realise that raid 1 isn't possible so I created BTRFS again)

If you need any configurtions or settings from my current system just let me know.

Edited by Symon
    2 hours ago, itimpi said:

• Is there a specific advantage to having the docker image file formatted internally as BTRFS or could an alternative such as XFS help reduce the write amplification without any noticeable change in capabilities.

XFS isn't a supported backend for Docker, overlay2 seems to be the other usual choice.

• Like 1
    On 6/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, itimpi said:

I found this research article to be of great interest as it indicates that a large amount of write amplification is inherent in using the BTRFS file system.

• This amplification is not specific to SSD's.
    • The amplification is worse for small files (as are typically found in appdata share).
    • Are there any BTRFS settings that can be applied at the folder level to reduce write amplification.  I am thinking here of the 'system' and 'appdata' folders.
    • If you have the CA Backup plugin to provide periodic automated backup of the appdata folder is it worth having that share on a single drive pool formatted as XFS to keep amplification to a minimum.  The 6.9.0 support for multiple cache pools will help if you need to segregate by file format.

Very interesting indeed.

This got me thinking...

I noticed that writing directly onto the BTRFS cache reduced writes by a factor or roughly 10.

Now I did felt like this was still on the high side, as it's still writing 40GB a day.

What if.... this is still amplified by a factor of 10 also.

Could this mean the a BTRFS formatted image on a BTRFS formatted partition results in 10x10=100 times write amplification?

If I recall correctly someone pointed out a 100x write amplification number earlier in the thread? 

I think this is well suited for a test 🙂

I've just recreated the loopimage formatted on XFS.

I'll test my TB's written in a few minutes and check again after an hour.

EDIT: 

Just noticed your comment @tjb_altf4

23 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

XFS isn't a supported backend for Docker, overlay2 seems to be the other usual choice.

The default seems to work already, XFS is formatted nicely with the correct options:

root@Tower:/# docker info
    Client:
     Debug Mode: false

Server:
     Containers: 21
      Running: 21
      Paused: 0
      Stopped: 0
     Server Version: 19.03.5
     Storage Driver: overlay2
      Backing Filesystem: xfs
      Supports d_type: true

According to the docker docs this should be fine, which xfs_info /var/lib/docker seems to confirm:

root@Tower:/# xfs_info /var/lib/docker
    meta-data=/dev/loop2             isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=1310720 blks
             =                       sectsz=512   attr=2, projid32bit=1
             =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0
             =                       reflink=1
    data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=5242880, imaxpct=25
             =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks
    naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1
    log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=2560, version=2
             =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1
    realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

I'm just testing it out, cause I'm curious if it matters.

EDIT2, after 1 hour of runtime:

TBW on 28-06-2020 13:44:11 --> 11.8 TB, which is 12049.6 GB.
    TBW on 28-06-2020 14:44:38 --> 11.8 TB, which is 12057.8 GB.

1 hour of running on XFS formatted loopdevice equals 8,2GB written, this would translate into 196,8GB a day.

This would most likely be a bit more due to backup tasks at night.

It's still on the high side, compared to running directly onto the BTRFS filesystem, which results in 40GB a day.

In December 2019 I was seeing 400GB's a day though (running without modifications), and my docker count has increased a bit, so 200 is better. Haven't tried any other options, like the mount options specified. I expect these will bring the writes down regardless of the loopdevice being used since they're ran on the entire BTRFS mount, so the amplification with the loopdevice is likely to occur with them also.

Still kind of sad though, I would have expected to see a very minor write amplification instead of 5 times. Guess that theory of 10x10 doesn't check out then..

Rolling back to my previous state, as I'd take 40GB over 200 any day 😄 

EDIT3: 

Decided to remount the cache with space_cache=v2 set, running directly on the cache this gave me 9GB of writes in the last 9 hours.

When the new unRAID version drops I'll reformat my cache with the new alignment settings. For now that space_cache=v2 setting does its magic :) 

Edited by S1dney
    • Like 1
    4 hours ago, S1dney said:

Could this mean the a BTRFS formatted image on a BTRFS formatted partition results in 10x10=100 times write amplification?

I had the same thought, and have written to the authors of the paper here in Austin TX to see if they have any knowledge of how the two BTRFS systems interact. One of the authors is a lecturer and researcher on containerization so may well have studied this. I’ll report back here if/when I get a reply. If this were a genuine concern then, with their reported worst case of 32x amplification, that could lead to 32x32 = 1024x! 😲

• Thanks 1
    On 6/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Average is still  pretty consistent with this.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:49 AM, TexasUnraid said:

I've run the remount command now, after 30 min the only noticeable writes are from a test media file (4.5GB), which increased writes only by the same amount.  Loop is only sitting at 160MB, pretty good as I have a dozen or so very active dockers.

I'll continue collecting data points for the next few days to see how it goes.

Hi, the command mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache doesn't seem to do anything. 

i've checked and mnt/cache should be correct.. 

Anybody any ideas? Should I

even see something happening?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1
    8 minutes ago, dEAd0 said:

Hi, the command mount -o remount -o space_cache=v2 /mnt/cache doesn't seem to do anything. 

There won't be any output from the command, but there are a couple of ways you can confirm it's working, by looking at the syslog, there will be be something like this:

Jun 26 13:38:23 Tower1 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme1n1p1): enabling free space tree
    Jun 26 13:38:23 Tower1 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme1n1p1): using free space tree

or checking the output of the "mount" command and looking at your cache device:

/dev/nvme1n1p1 on /mnt/cache type btrfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,space_cache=v2)

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There won't be any output from the command, but there are a couple of ways you can confirm it's working, by looking at the syslog, there will be be something like this:

Jun 26 13:38:23 Tower1 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme1n1p1): enabling free space tree
    Jun 26 13:38:23 Tower1 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme1n1p1): using free space tree

or checking the output of the "mount" command and looking at your cache device:

/dev/nvme1n1p1 on /mnt/cache type btrfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,space_cache=v2)

Gotcha, the info is indeed being shown in the syslog. Thanks for the quick reply!

On 6/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Having run the remount command last week, the last 5 days has seen the daily data units write average drop further to 155,949.

Good result for now.