• [6.8.3] Loss of VM Mouse

mmmeee15
    • Minor

Hello,

I have been dealing with the following issue for quite a long time, since end of 2018 (when I started using unraid) at least. What happens is that on any VM (although more frequently on Windows VMs), when using the web noVNC, at seemingly random, I will not be able to use my mouse any more. The cursor will move over the window, but not 'in' the VM itself. The keyboard will continue to work just fine, no problems whatsoever. The problem itself is not a web browser one, as restarting the browser or trying a different one does not do anything to fix the problem. Also, the problem occurs on different machines as well, both intel and amd based. The problem also only affects 1 VM at a time, ie if there are multiple VMs running, if one develops the problem, the other does not. The only solution I have found is to stop and start the VM itself, which is rather disruptive. 

I wish I could provide more information about how the problem occurs, but it is rather random, sometimes a few times a week, other times months between. If there is anything I can provide, please let me know. 

Thank you

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I've experienced it too with Unraid 6.8.3. I discovered I suddenly wasn't able to click on objects on the Windows VM's desktop. As far as I can tell, it's a noVNC issue because connecting via a Remote Desktop client works normally. I haven't experienced it with Unraid 6.9.0-beta30 though.

Edited by John_M
    Added that RDP works

Ah alright, that's great to hear, thanks for sharing. 

I personally like using the noVNC since its one less app I have to have running. 

If someone from Unraid can confirm that 6.9 will fix the problem (ie that it's a known issue), then it will be problem solved. 

@mmmeee15 I have noticed something similiar. Not sure what triggers the cursor in the VNC window sometimes disappearing, but it often happens if I change the resolution inside the VM or change some graphic settings. For me it helped to change the cursor appearance in the guest os itself to inverted or a dark one and it will always show again. Somehow the cursor only disappears for me if the guest has it set to a white one what is the default on most operating systems.

@bastl
    Hello, thank you for your comment. The issue is not that the cursor disappears, it is that the mouse no longer functions, ie I cannot click on anything, even if I push the mouse all the way to the edge of the screen to 'find the cursor' and then close a window for example. I have had the issue you describe on other machines, but it is not what this thread is about though, I wish it were that simple.